Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Not sure what I want to do...

I can't not feed the baby. I can't listen to him scream for what seems like forever because he's hungry and he can't figure out why it's not coming out of the tap right away. If I knew I had the supply and he was just being impatient, I might be able to tough that out. But I only have one ounce of expressed BM in the fridge and I know that I am not going to have 3 more in the breast when he's ready to eat in another 2 hours. I can't force my 3 month old to go hungry just because of my own desire to nurse him.

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have to agree with the PP, I you want it you have to commit to it. Keep taking the blessed thistle and fenugreek, offer the breast first always, if you end up offering a bottle after the breast then make sure you pump to keep your supply up.

I think you'll have a lot of heartache I you keep trying to go back and forth. If you want to keep nursing then do it, but do what works for you and allow that to be enough.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not saying to let him go hungry. If his output is good, then he's getting what he needs. And that is what you should be going by. I could never pump enough to satiate hunger, but by nursing more often my supply jumped.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
77Lipen
Registered Users

You are constantly making milk. The pump usually doesn't suck as much out that there is in there.
You could try massaging the breast as he's feeding to try and get it going, or 'pre-pumping' to get the milk ready to flow when he latches.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the others- It is a well known fact that pumping is not a good indicator of supply. Baby is much more efficient at getting the milk than a pump. PUt him to breast and let him suckle, if he gets fussy and won't latch because he is frustrated, take him off and try the other side. go back and forth if need be, this should help to stimulate your letdown. You could also try pumping for a couple minutes first, then latch him on. Also try breast compressions.

If it gets too frustrating for him, go ahead and give him a bit of formula out of a small medicine cup, then try to latch him on again. The frequent suckling and trying is what will stimulate your supply better than a pump.

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just bc you're not getting much when you pump, doesn't mean there's not much there. A lot of women can be super full and not pump an ounce. Maybe if your DH is home this weekend, he can take care of the other kids. I'd spend all weekend in your bed with the baby, doing lots of skin to skin contact and nurse him around the clock if he's willing. That will stimulate your supply and get him back to the breast.

I've read that some women have great luck taking a mega calcium supplement the week before AF is due. I've heard that it keeps your supply from taking such a hit.

And, if you decide it's too much work, then so be it. You don't HAVE to breastfeed, and if you choose formula then you're still a great mom. But at this point, it's going to take work to get back into it.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #17
IowaGold
Registered Users
seller

What about using an SNS? That way you can still supplement until your supply rebounds, you're getting stimulation, and he's not getting "rewarded" with a bottle. A good nurse in weekend would be a good idea too.
IowaGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
kmadavis85
Registered Users
seller

Maybe you could try a milk saver on the breast opposite of when he nurses, that might help you build up a supply for a bottle to save on formula costs. I just got one & in a day I had enough for a bottle, had no idea how much actually goes into a disposable nursing pad. I'm able to save about 1/2 to 1 1/2 ounces each feeding.
kmadavis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #19
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I have always responded well to the pump. I know the pump alone isn't a good indicator of supply, but going from 2 to 3 oz at a time, down to a quarter of an ounce is a good indicator of a serious change in supply for me. And, I am not really all that comfortable with letting him get to the point where his output does change. Crying baby and less pottying says hungry baby to me, and thats not what i want.

BUT, I am going to fight for this. I am giving it one good week. If we are not seeing significant decrease in the bottle feedings in a week, I am calling it quits. In this case, it's totally about me and not him. I have a teen who was totally FF, a 4 yr old who was both, and a 2 yr old who was ebf until solid were introduced. I have no issues or guilt giving him formula, I just prefer to nurse him because he's my last one and I am not ready to be done, and because I am really cheap and don't want to buy formula.

And, on that point, pumping at the keyboard now while he naps and the girls watch tv. And, finally, some improvent. Letdown happened faster and I am getting a bit more milk. This morning we spent about 45 minutes where he would latch for a moment, pop off, suck on the pacifier, I would pull a "bait and switch," and repeat. Lots of hand expression and compressions going on too. I did end up topping him off with the ounce in the fridge before he fell asleep, but it wasn't a full 4 oz bottle. He will still latch, its just getting the milk into him fast enough for him that is frustrating him.

I am out of blessed thistle, and almost out of fenugreek. I am going to go to go get some more today, as well as some new membranes for my pump. I hope it all helps. thanks everyone for your support
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #20
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Glad to hear it's moving in the right direction!

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote