Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
OurAllenBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: seed catalogue help

Bakers Creek!

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemama View Post
I have a baker creek catalogue from a couple years back (this is me being picky) but I find it waaay more difficult to navigate than southern exposure its a small gripe but like if I see a pic of say a tomato that piques my interest the freaking description may be 5 pages back I feel like I'm all over the place reading it lol
Yep, still like that. I am working my way through my current one and it's definitely more frustrating than Seed Savers. Those are the only two I've actually received, though I think I have another couple coming. Seed Savers has fewer seeds, but they have a picture of everything they sell, which is nice.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As just an overall seed catalogue I really like Territorial Seed.

http://www.territorialseed.com/category/526
Old 01-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #14
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

ok so, Gurney's is questionable, they may purchase from Seminis which is monsanto's seed house and whether they buy monsanto branded seed or not, yes that's indirectly supporting them. I would steer clear of any company that hem haw's their stance.

So I got a lot that I looked thru but will not order from, most notably burpee and jhonny's.

I WILL order from
Territoral seed (I have actually been to their facility, it's not far from my grandparent's home in OR, SUPER SUPER nice people). They specialize in seed bred for northern climates and short wet growing seasons but have a nice over all variety. I love their line drawn seed packets.

Seed saver's exchange
- this is my go-to company, their seed quality is incredible. I've had 95% germination or better on everything and their c/s is first class.

Baker creek - I love their crazy tempting varieties. I've had mixed results here. My personal opinion is that they don't breed out their lines long enough. I've encountered some poor germination and some weak strains. It's all in good fun finding a keeper heirloom in your garden though. Also, pay very close attention to seed quantity here, their packets are a bit more pricy for what you're actually getting.

Sand Hill preservation center - a poultry/heirloom seed source. They have some really old and rare varieties and you're not going to get a lot of bells and whistles here with glossy photos or packets or fancy ordering. But they do have an amazing catalogue of hard-to-find's.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Jung's has a great catalog too! I love looking at all of the pics of things I could plant if I had more time and better soil...

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #16
okiemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
ok so, Gurney's is questionable, they may purchase from Seminis which is monsanto's seed house and whether they buy monsanto branded seed or not, yes that's indirectly supporting them. I would steer clear of any company that hem haw's their stance.

So I got a lot that I looked thru but will not order from, most notably burpee and jhonny's.

I WILL order from
Territoral seed (I have actually been to their facility, it's not far from my grandparent's home in OR, SUPER SUPER nice people). They specialize in seed bred for northern climates and short wet growing seasons but have a nice over all variety. I love their line drawn seed packets.

Seed saver's exchange
- this is my go-to company, their seed quality is incredible. I've had 95% germination or better on everything and their c/s is first class.

Baker creek - I love their crazy tempting varieties. I've had mixed results here. My personal opinion is that they don't breed out their lines long enough. I've encountered some poor germination and some weak strains. It's all in good fun finding a keeper heirloom in your garden though. Also, pay very close attention to seed quantity here, their packets are a bit more pricy for what you're actually getting.

Sand Hill preservation center - a poultry/heirloom seed source. They have some really old and rare varieties and you're not going to get a lot of bells and whistles here with glossy photos or packets or fancy ordering. But they do have an amazing catalogue of hard-to-find's.
Do you not like southern exposure their catalogue is so beautiful I could drool their actually so pretty I've kinda started collecting them lol. Have yoy had bad luck with them?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #17
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I've never gotten one, now I'm going to have to order. See what you did? They're monsanto free I assume?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #18
okiemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I've never gotten one, now I'm going to have to order. See what you did? They're monsanto free I assume?
They are sooooooo awesome! Yes order a catalogue you wont regret it! And yes they are part of a lawsuit against Monsanto. Their website blows compaired to the catalogue just a warning don't judge based on the website lol
Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I can support that. I just ordered one! woot! More eye candy! LOL
Old 01-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #20
okiemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You won't regret it they have so many awesome seeds and if I'm not mistaken if they have a low germination rate for a certain seed (lets say ground cherries) they will give you extra to make up for it. Which I like.