Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

Should I be concerned?

My DD is 5, I feel like she has "issues"
She is ALWAYS hungry, wakes up STARVING, often (4-10 times a month) in the middle of the night will wake up and eat a whole bowl of cereal. She eats breakfast at home(7:00), then breakfast at school, lunch, snack at school, the teacher says she often eats extra snack (the leftovers) at school. Eats a snack as soon as she gets home (2:30)...wants a snack before dinner (5:30) Dinner, dessert, then often asks for a piece of bread before bed (8:30).
If she is hungry during the day she will have tremendous meltdowns, as long as she stays "fed" constantly she can be a happy healthy kiddo...but if she doesn't have a constant supply of calories she just can't function...

And I know you are thinking...she must be obese....but she is 34 lbs....and 43 inches tall
At 5 years and 4 months:

your child is 34 pounds, and that is
at the 6th percentile for weight.

your child is 43 inches, and that is
at the 41st percentile for height.

I had my mom test her blood sugar, this was in the morning, before breakfast....it was 120....I asked a friend with a kid with diabetes and she said that was normal. So I have no idea why she is constantly HUNGRY/STARVING.
Any thoughts?
I have mentioned this to the Dr during her 5 yr old well child appointment and he said "might be a growth spurt"

Thanks!!
Oh and she eats healthy stuff, veggies, fruits, normal snack items, crackers etc, likes meats and everything...she isn't eating crazy junk or anything.

Advertisement

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here

Last edited by ohgirlohboyohno; 03-08-2014 at 01:14 PM.
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My brother is in his mid thirties. We have always joked that. He has a hallow leg. He eats all day long and is a tall skinny guy. I remember him having to pack snacks in his backpack during middle and high school. He's always eaten "first breakfast" and "second breakfast". He eats something quick like toast or cereal as soon as he wakes up, then makes a bigger breakfast an hour or so later. It's just how he is.

At this point, if she's making healthy food choices and there doesn't seem to be a health concern, I'd just ride it out.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I be concerned?

If you are able to check her blood sugar again about an hour after she eats that would be helpful.

What does your doc say? Would he/she recommend a thyroid test?

Personally unless there are other signs that concern you, like loose stools, stomach pain, headaches, extreme thirst, hair/skin problems, etc., then maybe she's just blessed with an incredible metabolism!

ETA: hubby and I have amazing metabolisms. When I was a kid I could eat twice as much as anyone around me, and not just healthy stuff. An entire bag of fudgsicles and a can of dr. pepper for dinner? okay! (my mom didn't pay much attention, lol).

ETA again: there's also the possibility of worms, but she'd probably be complaining of itching or discomfort.

Last edited by Palooka; 03-08-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
superbeans
Registered Users
seller

As long as she has no weight issues and the food she's eating is fairly healthy let her eat as much as her body needs. My brother was like this, just had a crazy fast metabolism.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

she drinks water a lot, but she pees a lot too so I guess that goes hand in hand. She sometimes has accidents but she is just 5. She does get a lot of headaches, she will vomit when she gets them, but I think they are migraines, the Dr. says there is no way a kid that little can have migraines, I don't know but she always vomits when she has them. She seems to always have infections on her fingers, I think that has to do with her always chewing on them, she has had her fingernails fall off twice. No skin problems though ..... her Dr. seems to always blow off my concerns, I have concerns about her hyperactivity, he always tells me she is just active, her teacher has concerns about her hyper activity, but the Dr. keeps telling me she is "normal"....which makes me think my other 3 kids are the abnormal ones, cause she is nothing like them. She can go from super excited happy to about to die from exhaustion and hunger and tiredness...in an instant... she is a quirky little kid.....but maybe she just likes/needs to eat all the time! lucky girl

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would find another doctor! Just for the fact that he blows you off. I've 'fired' doctors for less.

Not to scare you, but her whole finger nail falling off is NOT normal at any age. I had high metabolism and would wake in the middle of the night hungry, but never had a migraine or any of the other issues your daughter is having.

Also, focus on protein, carbs burn quickly and is like a drop in the bucket for fast metabolism. For middle of the night waking, try giving her a hard boiled egg, you can boil a few during the day and they'll keep in the fridge, I'm not sure how long, but they can be great snacks for kids during the day. Protein will help! Anytime veggies or fruit would be a snack, try to find a way to add protein - apples with peanut/almond butter, hummus and carrots, cottage cheese and jam, etc.

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
SybilP
Registered Users

I agree with upping her protein, but I would also up her healthy fats. Coconut oil, butter from pastured cows, avocados, etc. Fat is what turns off your hunger switch. They also have things called Fat Bombs that are usually made with a healthy fat, some kind of nut butter, and honey or maple syrup. They're quick and easy to make and quick and easy to grab for her when she's feeling hungry.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SybilP View Post
I agree with upping her protein, but I would also up her healthy fats. Coconut oil, butter from pastured cows, avocados, etc. Fat is what turns off your hunger switch. They also have things called Fat Bombs that are usually made with a healthy fat, some kind of nut butter, and honey or maple syrup. They're quick and easy to make and quick and easy to grab for her when she's feeling hungry.
I agree up her protein and fat to see if it makes her feel fuller longer. I would also get another doctor because yours is ignoring you. Mention the fact that she drinks water and pees a lot and is having some accidents, that can be a sign of diabetes. I know you checked her blood sugar once but you may need to check it a few more times. It could just be that she is growing, kids go through these phases, I know mine do and I have a very hungry/active child who needs to eat constantly. I would be concerned about a few things you mentioned and I assure you my pedi would listen.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno View Post
she drinks water a lot, but she pees a lot too so I guess that goes hand in hand. She sometimes has accidents but she is just 5. She does get a lot of headaches, she will vomit when she gets them, but I think they are migraines, the Dr. says there is no way a kid that little can have migraines, I don't know but she always vomits when she has them. She seems to always have infections on her fingers, I think that has to do with her always chewing on them, she has had her fingernails fall off twice. No skin problems though ..... her Dr. seems to always blow off my concerns, I have concerns about her hyperactivity, he always tells me she is just active, her teacher has concerns about her hyper activity, but the Dr. keeps telling me she is "normal"....which makes me think my other 3 kids are the abnormal ones, cause she is nothing like them. She can go from super excited happy to about to die from exhaustion and hunger and tiredness...in an instant... she is a quirky little kid.....but maybe she just likes/needs to eat all the time! lucky girl
You need a new doctor. The bolded screams diabetes. Seriously, take her blood sugar 45 minutes to an hour after she eats. And find a new doctor ASAP!
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno View Post
I had my mom test her blood sugar, this was in the morning, before breakfast....it was 120....I asked a friend with a kid with diabetes and she said that was normal.
Weird, I thought the high for fasting kids was 100?
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote