Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help- is it a roo?

Hello old friends! I've been lurking lately and just getting back into the world after our sweet girl was born 8 weeks ago. So all is going as good as can be expected with a 2 month old and a 2 year old.
My question for u all is about our chickens- I know we have one too but I cannot for the life of me tell if our Easter egger is a roo or hen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2606057844.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	131474

Name:	image-4089982608.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	131475

Name:	image-2844523802.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	131476

Name:	image-3271476975.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	131477

They aren't great photos but all I have right now... Any thoughts?

Getting ready to soak seeds tonight for spring summer crops! Yay! And contemplating buying a new place and selling this one for more land. Hope u r all great!

Advertisement

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help- is it a roo?

Hard to say because of the quality of pics, but I would guess not. How old is the EE?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Welcome back! Your ee is a girl, no question. It's the BR that's giving me pause because in the pic it looks like some pretty skinny feathers around the head and tail. Has she/he laid or have you been hearing attempted crows?
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Welcome back! Your ee is a girl, no question. It's the BR that's giving me pause because in the pic it looks like some pretty skinny feathers around the head and tail. Has she/he laid or have you been hearing attempted crows?
yes- the lightest barred one u can see well in the last pic is our roo - he's a cuckoo maran. He's a sweetie and doesn't start crowing til 8am God bless him. Our last set of chickens all turned out to be roosters (that was no fun) and they stared crowing at 4am.
Yay she's a she- we started with three ee's and lost two to a super sneaky hawk that had been hovering. Now the rooster is on it and calls his girls in whenever the hawk is around and we've given them more places for cover when they are out.

They are five months - hoping to get some eggs soon and wondering if they are laying while they are free ranging and I just can't find the eggs :/

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

He's a looker! If you hatch babies from him and your ee they'll be olive layers! ee's are a bit un predictable, my earliest was 18w and the latest was 26w. Does she squat yet? I'm so sorry abt your girls, almost lost one of my ss hens a cpl mos ago to a hawk.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 01-22-2013 at 11:54 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on the baby girl!!!! Welcome back! I'm not good with am's and ee's yet. Give me a few months, lol. Liz is the ee gal! He is georgious! I want to cross my am's with my fbBcm's to get some olive eggers too! VERY nice looking flock!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote