View Poll Results: Do you grocery shop with your kids?
I grocery shop with my kids 69 32.09%
I grocery shop with my whole family 29 13.49%
I grocery shop with some of my kids 13 6.05%
I grocery shop alone 19 8.84%
It varies 79 36.74%
I don't do the shopping 3 1.40%
Just kinda like polls... 3 1.40%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #31
Registered Users
My Mood:
I voted it varies. Sometimes dh does the grocery shopping, sometimes I do it with at least 1 kid, but usually 2 and sometimes all 4. We grocery shop on Sundays for the week so it depends what is going on that Sun. We go to church every Sunday morning and dh, myself, and the younger 2 will go after church when dd1 & dd2 are in their PRP class. We go home unload the car (kids and groceries) then dh goes and picks up the girls and I put everything away and get lunch ready for when they get home.

If the girls have a swim meet dh or I will go later in the day. He likes to grocery shop, but he will only buy what is on the list and doesn't think about items that might not have made it in the list . He also doesn't pay attention to sales with our staple items and doesn't like to use coupons. I don't like to grocery shop, but I also don't like him to go b/c I usually have to go back sometime in the week.

sahm to 3 little women and 1 little man who keep me extremely busy and take all of my time away from here!
I have LOTS of toys to sell....My Little Pony, Fisher Price ramp & speedway, Littlest Pet Shop, you name it I probably have it! PM me!
ajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #32
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Do you Grocery Shop with your kids or on your own

I am the lone "I don't do the shopping." I feel so special!

Most of the time, like 95% of the time, my husband does the grocery shopping alone. He does it late at night after the kids are in bed most of the time, but sometimes right after work if he gets off early.

He has been doing this since I had my 1st set of twins just over 5 years ago. I was learning to deal with newborn twins and a 26 month old and it was just easier for him because he worked out at the gym in the same shopping center as the store. It continued because it was easier. But, I did go sometimes. Then, I had a second set of twins and had newborn twins, 27 month old twins and a 4 year old. It got more stressful going to the store. We have continued because it is just much easier for me than dragging so many littles and I can't even get a regular cart with enough space for all the food we need anyway. LOL.

It did take me some time to "train" my husband on the food to buy. I give him a list and I am very specific on it. Plus, he calls me several times from the store. He says he wants me to be part of the shopping experience. And, sometimes he does come home with the wrong thing, but for the most part, he is good at it now.

I go every once in a while, almost always by myself. Usually it is when we are hosting and I'm cooking something special or whatever. I don't even like going now and never want to.

Also, I do all the cooking. He only does the shopping.
Heather SAHM to 6 who are 7 and under, including 2 sets of twins and our last little miracle, a surviving identical twin, born Oct 2012!
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #33
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y

I usually end up having to go once, sometimes twice a week. I also run the rest of the errands while I am out. (return library books, mail packages, etc)

33.3% of the time, I go all by myself. It is GLORIOUS. It's like my 2 hours to "relax" (even though, I don't find it THAT relaxing - it sure is nice not to listen to kids asking me for things every 20 seconds).

66.5% of the time, I take ONE kid with me. I rotate them. So one time I will take ODD, the next time I will take ODS. They enjoy the one on one time and I think it's important for them in a lot of ways. I typically buy them a treat while we are out - a cookie, or goldfish crackers, etc. We talk and joke and play. It's fun, and I think it is important for them. YDD is too young to know the difference, so she pretty much always gets left home. When she gets older, she'll be added to the rotation. YDS is still in utero and by default comes with me everywhere. LOL

The other 0.2%, I go out with DH with ALL the kids, or, I take all 3 of them with me b/c of some reason or another --- like I started cooking something and I am missing a key ingredient and if I don't get said ingredient RIGHT NOW the entire thing will be trashed.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #34
Registered Users
My Mood:

I usually have my DD with me but love to be able to escape even if it is just to take my time getting groceries from time to time.
At Home with Ashley Furniture, Home Decor, Accessories, Flash Sales, and Daily Deals!
Find out more on my At Home with Ashley Facebook page
Lillikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #35
Registered Users

usually we go as a family, but if something small needs to be picked up, either DH will grab it on the way home from work, or the kids and I will go get it
Mom to boys
DS1 (07/10) DS2 (10/11) DS3 (03/13)
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #36
Registered Users
With my kids every time, I go during the week in the morning when they are in the best moods. Maybe once every few months we will go to BJ's (warehouse club) as a family to stock up on big stuff and DH helps carry the stuff in.
Mommy to Fiona 12/09 and new baby Layla 3/12 a HBAC!
umphreysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #37
Registered Users
My Mood:

It varies. Usually I have the 2-year-old with me, and we go when the 6-year-old is at school, but sometimes I manage to go alone when the kids are home with Daddy or when the little one is at preschool.
~kathryn~ quilter, lazy gardener, wife to Joe, SAHM to sweet, sensitive Sam 3/06 and feisty Alex 11/10
still missing my lost angels - 11/07 * 5/08 * 9/08 * 12/08
ktarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #38
Registered Users
My Mood:
I went ahead and voted with the kids but I havent taken all 3 to the grocery store by myself yet. Ds is only 5wks and the thought makes me to stressed out. Before I always took the girls with me for all store trips. We have gone to the library and a quick trip into target and kohls but a real reg. trip for grocerys hasnt happened yet with ds in tow.
House Goddess & mama to 8 yr old princess L , 6 yr old mama magnet J and 9mos old love bug C

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #39
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
My Mood:

I prefer to go as a family so DH can pick what he wants and will actually bring lunch to work. But that only happens once in a while so, I'll either go with the kids or after bedtime alone depending on what I need to get done haha!
Cindy wife to B Mommy to C 3/10 S 3/11 K 4/13 due 10/15
cdeweese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #40
Registered Users
Varies. Unless dh is at work when I need to do big trips, he goes with me and the 2 littles. The teens go with me of they aren't at school or their dads. I also go with the littles alone, a lot. Then dh goes for little things sometimes, ESP when the babies are sick. And I occasionally go alone when I am dropping the big kids to their dads, the store is between our 2 houses so ill run in for milk or something
Jul, This used to be a great place
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote