Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
SDJeannieZ3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
guns & concealed carry

I don't want to debate, I just want advice please.

For many valid reasons, Hubby wants me to get a gun. I've never been much of a fan, but I see his point and I think he's right. He's teaching me, but I'll also be taking handgun & hunters safety courses as well as a concealed weapons class.

My questions are: how/where do you carry your gun? What special issues do I need to think about because I have young kids that may not be addressed in a class or that need special emphasis?

I don't think I want it on my body since I'm always holding a baby, bending over, nursing and such. I'm thinking I want a small purse that I can carry across my body to keep it close with a pocket just for the gun. I don't want it to be huge, but I would love to be able to stick a diaper, some wipes, snacks and my essentials in it as well (car keys, phone, wallet, chapstick, pen, etc.) so organizing compartments would be awesome. Any ideas?

Advertisement

SDJeannieZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: guns & concealed carry

I know plenty of women who keep them in them in their purse. My DH has his concealed weapon permit and I know he would love if I got one too. Like you I wouldn't want it on my body. I honestly can't think of anywhere I could keep it with having small children around. They go through the diaper bag in public, it spills out, I wouldn't want it on me...no spot seems safe. And this is coming from a pro gun person. I just see my DD2 grabbing it out of the diaper bag while I'm helping DD1 up a slide and waving it around at the playground...
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I like the purse idea.

But, I'd also like you to buy a good pepper spray, and maybe a taser. I understand the need for guns, but I think in many cases, a taser would have been better. Look at George Zimmerman. If he'd had a taser in his hands instead of a gun, his life would be a whole lot better right now.

You don't often hear about someone with a gun shooting someone on accident, or mistaken identity... it happens, just not that often. Mostly people own a gun and never need to use it. But, i'd hate to be the person trying to justify shooting the teenager when a taser would have had a better outcome.

I DO think owning a gun is a good idea though. Don't get me wrong. But, even if you are well within your right to shoot someone, it will still cost you a lot of money in legal fees afterwards.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 01-23-2013 at 06:56 PM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
november
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I am getting my CHL soon and won't carry in my purse. If someone comes to rob me, they will grab my purse first and then they have my gun.

I want to get a Marilyn holster for my .380 You might check it out.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

november is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

DH carries his in a holster that places the gun inside the back of his pants. The kids usually don't even realize he has it on, as once his shirt is on, you can't see it.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
I know plenty of women who keep them in them in their purse. My DH has his concealed weapon permit and I know he would love if I got one too. Like you I wouldn't want it on my body. I honestly can't think of anywhere I could keep it with having small children around. They go through the diaper bag in public, it spills out, I wouldn't want it on me...no spot seems safe. And this is coming from a pro gun person. I just see my DD2 grabbing it out of the diaper bag while I'm helping DD1 up a slide and waving it around at the playground...
This is the reason I won't carry either. To have it quick enough for protection it places my kids in danger. To have it in a place to keep them safe, I couldn't use it if I needed.
And I can't find a taser! The local place is backordered for a month and the nearest Gander Mountain doesn't carry them?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

First---read the Cornered Cat website. There is also a book. It is written by a homeschooling mom of 5 boys.

http://www.corneredcat.com/

I don't carry day-to-day much. I'm a teacher. I end up at schools too frequently and don't want to commit a felony.

I have a 5.11 compression holster shirt I wear while running, and carry an LCP. I run at night in my neighborhood. I have the shirt in black. No one is getting anything away from me with it, and it is very concealed. http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...ter-Shirt.html

I don't trust purse. That is just asking for an accident, IMO.

I really only carry for classes, and running. In my day-to-day life, I am not in dangerous locations very much except the area around where I teach, and it is not legal for me to carry here.

DH uses an inside the waistband holster and wears 5.11 cargo pants. No one knows it is there.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 01-23-2013 at 02:10 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage
I like the purse idea.

But, I'd also like you to buy a good pepper spray, and maybe a tazer. I understand the need for guns, but I think in many cases, a tazer would have been better. Look at George Zimmerman. If he'd had a tazer in his hands instead of a gun, his life would be a whole lot better right now.

You don't often hear about someone with a gun shooting someone on accident, or mistaken identity... it happens, just not that often. Mostly people own a gun and never need to use it. But, i'd hate to be the person trying to justify shooting the teenager when a tazer would have had a better outcome.

I DO think owning a gun is a good idea though. Don't get me wrong. But, even if you are well within your right to shoot someone, it will still cost you a lot of money in legal fees afterwards.
Be very, very careful with pepper spray. Too close an area or a shift in wind and you are now as blind as your assailant. Plus some people are just not affected by it.

What about self defense courses? There are simple moves that a petit woman can use against a larger man. I have nerve damage and my equilibrium is screwed up and I can do it. Plus pressure points. Also, if you are walking to your car then you could carry your keys so that you have them poking out between your fingers in a closed fist. Instant weapon. Make sure you lock your car before digging in your purse. If you can, lock your doors before you buckle your kids in. That's one reason I wish I had a bigger vehicle. I'm always paranoid buckling my kids in at night. The most important thing you can do is be aware of your surroundings and try to keep yourself out of situations that may put you at more risk as much as possible.

I am pro gun but firmly believe that if you aren't extremely comfortable with one then you shouldn't carry it. There are other options you need to be aware of. And I won't get a concealed carry permit right now either for the reasons mentioned above.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Also wanted to add...

Before you start carrying, take several classes. Not just one. Get lots of range time. Get comfortable with the pistol before you even think about having it on you all the time. I'd also recommend a gun law course. I took an 8 hour course that just barely scratched the surface, and there are so many legal aspects to think about before you draw on someone. For example, if you fire and the guy goes down on the second shot, and you shoot more, you could be convicted of murder. It has happened many times. There's a lot of things to consider.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
november
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Also wanted to add...

Before you start carrying, take several classes. Not just one. Get lots of range time. Get comfortable with the pistol before you even think about having it on you all the time. I'd also recommend a gun law course. I took an 8 hour course that just barely scratched the surface, and there are so many legal aspects to think about before you draw on someone. For example, if you fire and the guy goes down on the second shot, and you shoot more, you could be convicted of murder. It has happened many times. There's a lot of things to consider.
Yes, I agree. You should feel 100% confident with your abilities before you carry a gun. It's not to be taken lightly at all and I really think lots and lots of range time would help you feel more reassured if you do choose to get your CHL.

november is offline   Reply With Quote