Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
november
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: guns & concealed carry

Here's a link to the Marilyn holster, btw. http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/...n-holster.html

Advertisement

november is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
SDJeannieZ3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you ladies. I agree with everything that you have suggested. I do plan on taking several classes and covering more than just self-defense with a firearm & getting out on the range, but carrying a gun seems like the biggest step, so I want to be *very* thorough, comfortable & confident. This is certainly a long-term plan- it won't all be accomplished by the end of the month. Does the Marylin holster work with regular bras as well? (It says it's for sports bras).
My kids already know gun rules from their daddy & I they take it very seriously. I've seen bags that have zippers that clip shut (they're not hard to open), so I thought that if I had something like that then the kids would just *know* my gun was in there and leave it alone. I thought the cross-body strap would make it harder to snatch my purse off me and I think that same type of bag has straps that can't be cut.
In truth, we really don't go out much & I don't expect any trouble at the library, but I think it would be wise to just be in the habit of always having it with me.
SDJeannieZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
In the articles section of Cornered Cat, read the section called "childproof isn't." I guarantee you will be laughing by the time you are done.

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/k...ildproof-isnt/

Also...the "Would you carry a gun to..." sections under social considerations have a lot to think about. I particularly like the doctors office one.

http://www.corneredcat.com/contents/

This is a section about carrying and "the fashionable lady"
http://www.corneredcat.com/article/p...ionable-woman/
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 01-23-2013 at 07:22 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 AM   #14
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I like the purse idea.

But, I'd also like you to buy a good pepper spray, and maybe a taser. I understand the need for guns, but I think in many cases, a taser would have been better. Look at George Zimmerman. If he'd had a taser in his hands instead of a gun, his life would be a whole lot better right now.

You don't often hear about someone with a gun shooting someone on accident, or mistaken identity... it happens, just not that often. Mostly people own a gun and never need to use it. But, i'd hate to be the person trying to justify shooting the teenager when a taser would have had a better outcome.

I DO think owning a gun is a good idea though. Don't get me wrong. But, even if you are well within your right to shoot someone, it will still cost you a lot of money in legal fees afterwards.
She'd have to check her state laws on both the stun gun and pepper spray. They are illegal in several states. And in some states where they are legal they are still illegal in some cities. A lot of states have very specific guidelines for carrying either- some states they are legal at home, but illegal once taken from the home, some states concealed carry is illegal some you need a concealed gun permit to carry a taser.

I have all three weapons and for the reasons sited concerning carrying a gun I haven't carried any (i wouldn't carry a gun myself anyway, I am not prepared to use it in anything other than home defense) since having children. I wasn't always legal with my taser. My dad gave it to me when I was in college and he could care less whether it was legal or not. he wanted me to have it when walking on campus at night. Which i never did. I only took it with me when I traveled. Anyway, while more than likely your child won't suffer accidental death from pepper spray or a taser there are still not any safer to carry on a key chain or a purse.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #15
peverroad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have an ankle holster for mine. I don't have my cc yet so I don't carry but my dh does and uses it when were on motorcycle.
I've tried it on several times and fits really well with my pants which flair a bit.
The only problem is if you were walking it might be weird to access if someone attacked you. Could keep in purse if your walking idk. Just an idea
-::- ((.* the buzz is all about.... check out my facebook http://facebook.com/romancepartiesbypaula2
peverroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #16
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
First---read the Cornered Cat website. There is also a book. It is written by a homeschooling mom of 5 boys.

http://www.corneredcat.com/

I don't carry day-to-day much. I'm a teacher. I end up at schools too frequently and don't want to commit a felony.

I have a 5.11 compression holster shirt I wear while running, and carry an LCP. I run at night in my neighborhood. I have the shirt in black. No one is getting anything away from me with it, and it is very concealed. http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Shirts/Womens-Shirts/Wm-Holster-Shirt.html

I don't trust purse. That is just asking for an accident, IMO.

I really only carry for classes, and running. In my day-to-day life, I am not in dangerous locations very much except the area around where I teach, and it is not legal for me to carry here.

DH uses an inside the waistband holster and wears 5.11 cargo pants. No one knows it is there.
Thanks for the link to this site. There is a lot of great reading there. I like the humor too

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #17
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel89411 View Post
Be very, very careful with pepper spray. Too close an area or a shift in wind and you are now as blind as your assailant. Plus some people are just not affected by it.

What about self defense courses? There are simple moves that a petit woman can use against a larger man. I have nerve damage and my equilibrium is screwed up and I can do it. Plus pressure points. Also, if you are walking to your car then you could carry your keys so that you have them poking out between your fingers in a closed fist. Instant weapon. Make sure you lock your car before digging in your purse. If you can, lock your doors before you buckle your kids in. That's one reason I wish I had a bigger vehicle. I'm always paranoid buckling my kids in at night. The most important thing you can do is be aware of your surroundings and try to keep yourself out of situations that may put you at more risk as much as possible.

I am pro gun but firmly believe that if you aren't extremely comfortable with one then you shouldn't carry it. There are other options you need to be aware of. And I won't get a concealed carry permit right now either for the reasons mentioned above.
this. i actually view pepper spray as pretty much useless. My dad was pepper sprayed in the police academy. he said most of the men could easily have continued an attack despite the discomfort, but most of the women were throwing up. you also have to rely on your own speed and hope the attacker is not faster than you are. it's not too hard to flip a person's wrist in their own direction and basically make them mace themselves. they did a few demos about that.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
sma123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I usually carry in the small of my back b/c of preference... I also have a small cross body bag that i carry (depends on which gun i have). You may want to try out several carry methods and see what easiest and most comfortable for you. A lot depends on your gun too... Dh just bought me a hoster that goes in between my boobs; however that won't get any use due to breastfeeding (not sure what he was thinking)
Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #19
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sma123 View Post
I usually carry in the small of my back b/c of preference... I also have a small cross body bag that i carry (depends on which gun i have). You may want to try out several carry methods and see what easiest and most comfortable for you. A lot depends on your gun too... Dh just bought me a hoster that goes in between my boobs; however that won't get any use due to breastfeeding (not sure what he was thinking)
You prob wouldn't get any grief for NIP.

I am totally kidding.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
sma123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAsh

You prob wouldn't get any grief for NIP.

I am totally kidding.
That is certainly one way of looking at it