Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Previous Uterine Surgery

Has anyone here had previous uterine surgery? In particular, I'm meaning surgery related to gynecological problems, not a c-section. If you have had surgery, has it caused you any problems with pregnancy, labor or delivery? Or postpartum?

I had to have a large fibroid removed last year and am nervous about delivery and delivery in particular...

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
new2allthis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Previous Uterine Surgery

my SIL had a large fribroid removed and was told she would require csections due to the nature of her scar (T-shape). She did have 2 csections.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2allthis
my SIL had a large fribroid removed and was told she would require csections due to the nature of her scar (T-shape). She did have 2 csections.
Yeah, my doctor has already discussed the potential for c-section with me but won't commit to just doing it (I'm just entering 2nd tri, so we have time). I would rather go c-section if it is safer..,

Old 01-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What does your peri say?

I had doctors think I was nuts for wanting to get pregnant. One even made me sign something saying that if I couldn't carry to term, I wouldn't sue him. This was my radiation oncologist as I had pelvic radiation. However when I talked to my peri, he seemed to think this was no big deal. I will get more ultrasound this time, and there is still a chance I may loose my uterus in delivery but he is very optimistic... At least so far, I will see him again in about a week.

If you are not seeing a peri I strongly encourage you to at least consult one. They really are good with things like this.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am not seeing a Peri. I am seeing a very well-respected OB, though. He says that I'm at an increased risk for uterine rupture and for postpartum hemorrhage. But he wants to do the 20-week u/s and see some things (including the placental location) before he makes any sort of call regarding what we should do, he has also said that I will be medicated for PPH preemptively (which I'm okay with). My understanding is that you can still hemorrhage while on the medication but bleeding is slowed way down. The surgery I had did not cut through the uterus, either, but just grazed the inside in one place. I think that is party of why he is concerned but not really worried. It is at the top of the uterus, which is risky, according to him. He and my old OB both said I could have more kids knowing about the surgery. The risk of ruptured uterus sounds incredibly scary though. I just didn't know if anyone else had faced this or been through it.

He said for my type of surgery, I'm at a 5% increased chance. While 5% isn't a high number, it is high enough that I'm really worried. I'm just trying to pray about it and I DO trust my doctor. It seems like a "wait and see" sort of situation according to him. I'm just not good at being patient.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #6
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

A friend of mine had a prior uterine surgery and just had a baby last September. She had an emergency c-section at around 39ish weeks after her uterus ruptured at home. She is a nurse, so knew to call 911. It was close, but she and baby are fine.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08
A friend of mine had a prior uterine surgery and just had a baby last September. She had an emergency c-section at around 39ish weeks after her uterus ruptured at home. She is a nurse, so knew to call 911. It was close, but she and baby are fine.
That is my biggest fear... I'm glad it worked out for her. I know another girl with a similar story but I don't know if she had any type of surgery before her rupture.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you Googled any increased risk percentages? Sometimes Drs pull them out they're ***. 5% seems high. My uterus has been cut into twice and my risk only increased 1%. As you dialate the top of your uterus gets thicker.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Please reconsider seeing a Peri. The fact that you seem this worried about it tells me you really should see one. Don't worry the peri will not step on your OB's toes. I am high risk and my peri isn't even delivering me. So you shouldn't worry about your OB's feelings. To me this is more of a peace of mind issue.

I had a classical c-section, twice. I am at risk for uterine rupture and my hospital that I deliver in is 1 hour away (more with the road construction now ) and I am not worried about it because I know others are watching out for me. My peri did put me in the hospital with my first pregnancy because of the distance and I spent a month there before I delivered. So that is what I mean.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607
Have you Googled any increased risk percentages? Sometimes Drs pull them out they're ***. 5% seems high. My uterus has been cut into twice and my risk only increased 1%. As you dialate the top of your uterus gets thicker.
Did you have a c-section? He said that the risk only increases 1-1.5% for women who have had c-sections. I had a myectomy at the top of the uterus.