Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

sbish snapless stinkies

Just started using Sbish snapless overnights (bought on FSOT) and they work great! However, is it normal for them to smell strong in the morning? If they smell strong after he pees, does that mean they need to be stripped?

Advertisement

jensmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

It means they aren't getting fully cleaned. Our sbish bamboo fitteds - both OBF and snapless - used to smell clean when washes and dried. However, by morning (we only use them for nights) they either smelt of faint ammonia or skunky. I've switched detergents and no longer have funky Sbish diapers by morning. I think bamboo is just tougher to get clean than regular cotton fitteds, at least this is what I find with ours and our day time fitteds which are regular cotton vs bamboo.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
Cpaul
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: sbish snapless stinkies

I notice my stain easily! I love them but its annoying!!!
Cpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_dna View Post
It means they aren't getting fully cleaned. Our sbish bamboo fitteds - both OBF and snapless - used to smell clean when washes and dried. However, by morning (we only use them for nights) they either smelt of faint ammonia or skunky. I've switched detergents and no longer have funky Sbish diapers by morning. I think bamboo is just tougher to get clean than regular cotton fitteds, at least this is what I find with ours and our day time fitteds which are regular cotton vs bamboo.
My experience is very similar.
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
That must be it. My current wash routine is cold rinse, hot wash plus extra rinse, then another cold rinse. Would you suggest another rinse or is it more to do with detergent? What detergent have you found worked? We use Rockin Green, but i'm open to trying something new.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
ashleyg103
Registered Users

We recently had to stop using our snapless at night but I was having the same problem and I found that rinsing the diapers in hot water in the sink in the morning helped. I sometimes filled the sink with hot water and added a tiny bit of oxy and let them soak for 20 mins then rinsed also helped.
ashleyg103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh probably should mention I too rinse mine out thoroughly every morning with warm water and spray with BacOut prior to putting them in the pail.

OP: I think you either need to up your detergent or switch. Try using more to see if that works. You could also try adding a bit of bleach. We wash every other day in an old school TL and we have soft water. I had no luck with Charlie's or Country Save, plus I was using 1/8c bleach, when it came to getting our Sbish to not smell by morning. Since switching to Tide F&G they smell only of urine in the morning. Until switching to a mainstream detergent, I thought it was normal to have funky night diapers. But now I think otherwise. I also do feel our bamboo night fitteds actually smell better/cleaner than before too.

I still rinse them and spray with Bac Out every morning. I had another momma mention to me she wet pails her night diapers in a pail with a couple capfuls of BacOut because she doesn't have time to rinse. When baby #2 arrives this summer, I'm going to try this.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Oh probably should mention I too rinse mine out thoroughly every morning with warm water and spray with BacOut prior to putting them in the pail.

OP: I think you either need to up your detergent or switch. Try using more to see if that works. You could also try adding a bit of bleach. We wash every other day in an old school TL and we have soft water. I had no luck with Charlie's or Country Save, plus I was using 1/8c bleach, when it came to getting our Sbish to not smell by morning. Since switching to Tide F&G they smell only of urine in the morning. Until switching to a mainstream detergent, I thought it was normal to have funky night diapers. But now I think otherwise. I also do feel our bamboo night fitteds actually smell better/cleaner than before too.

I still rinse them and spray with Bac Out every morning. I had another momma mention to me she wet pails her night diapers in a pail with a couple capfuls of BacOut because she doesn't have time to rinse. When baby #2 arrives this summer, I'm going to try this.
I think I will switch. I've been thinking of switching to Tide F&C because of my sons eczema anyway, so that might just be the final straw to change. Do you still use 1/8 c bleach with every wash? How much detergent do you use? Is it ok to wash this same way with pockets too?

Thanks for all your help, mamas!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensmyname

I think I will switch. I've been thinking of switching to Tide F&C because of my sons eczema anyway, so that might just be the final straw to change. Do you still use 1/8 c bleach with every wash? How much detergent do you use? Is it ok to wash this same way with pockets too?

I occasionally use bleach now. Maybe for your first wash you should use some just to help disinfect. How much you use depends on what size load you do and your water hardness. We have soft water and with a medium size load I use about 2/3-3/4 the 1 line. If you have moderately hard water I would just try using the recommend amount and go from there. I always do a short warm wash with 1/2c vinegar to rinse. Good luck!

Eta: I'm not sure about pockets, I think as long as you are thoroughly rinsing you should have no issues.

Last edited by momma_dna; 01-23-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensmyname View Post

This is what I do, but I use normal Tide. I use just below the bottom line. We've got BG 4.0s for my older son and we wash everything the same and we've never had stinky issues. I also use Ms. Meyers (sparingly) or ECover.

A caution on the bleach. Sloomb expressly says not to use bleach. I can't not use it, but just know that it can shorten the life of your diaper. Oxy is worse (harsher) than just good old bleach. Oxy ate a couple of my olders ones, but my ones that have only been washed with normal bleach are still fine after a couple years of abuse. I never had luck with RNG either. We use all cotton or cotton bamboo blend.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote