Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
ohsnap
Registered Users

Carseat suggestions

My 3˝yo needs a new carseat. He's forward facing (we flipped him a couple months ago and want to leave him that way) in a Graco MyRide 65, and it's just too huge. We also have a Safety First Alpha Omega Elite which is pretty nice, but the way it's built up behind the back of his head makes his head slump forward when he falls asleep, and then he wakes up screaming because his neck is hurting.

We drive a 99 GMC Jimmy, and we are probably going to get a car within the next few months but no idea what make or model yet. I have to ride in the backseat between the carseats a couple times a week, and it's pretty tight squeezing myself between two MyRide 65s, one forward facing and one rear facing.

My son is 34lbs and 39" tall. It's pretty difficult to get the MyRide installed right because it's so laid back and the seat of my Jimmy is so upright, so I'm looking for a carseat that's more upright. ( Here is a picture I found online of the backseat of a Jimmy. The back of the seat is at like a 90° angle to the bottom of it.) I think we need a carseat that isn't built up with a lot of padding behind his head. He has no problem with his head slumping forward in his MyRide, but he also has no room for his legs even though he usually has his feet up in his seat. My mom has a Cosco Scenera, and it worked great for him in this vehicle but he's too tall for it now.

His only request is for two cupholders.

And I want one that isn't so tall on the sides because we have to lift him up into the vehicle and his seat if I don't want him covered in mud from climbing up into the truck (we live on a dirt road and there is always either mud or dust) and it's pretty difficult to maneuver him between the MyRide and the top of the vehicle and not smack his head on anything.

So, are there any seats that meet my requirements?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

ohsnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Carseat suggestions

Graco Nautilus? Most smaller dimension seats do not have 2 cup holders though. The Nauti only has one I believe.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
mommy2sammy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Evenflo. Maestro. My 2 yr old and 4 yr old both love it. It's not huge and has 2cup holders, converts to a high back belt positioning booster when you are ready...and the best part, it's about $65!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
MamaRachel
Registered Users
Formerly: *lsilver*
seller

My Mood:

Evenflo Secure Kid- low sides, quite narrow, 2 cup holders, 65 lb harness limit and around $120.
The Maestro is similar, but the harness has a 50 lb limit.

There is also the new Harmony Defender at Walmart for $100. Don't know many details on that one though

Last edited by MamaRachel; 01-21-2013 at 01:42 PM.
MamaRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
ohsnap
Registered Users

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the looks of the Secure Kid, even though I doubt we'll have to worry about him maxing out any weight limits anytime soon.
ohsnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

I agree, Evenflo Maestro or SecureKid 300/400, or a Harmony Defender (though I'm not sure about cupholders on that one).

Just wanted to add that since you now have a kid forward facing, make sure you're using the top tether when you install the seat. Your vehicle is old enough that it may not have come with top tether anchors factory-installed. If you have the vehicle manual, check to see if it addresses the issue (probably in the section about "child safety"). If not, or if you have any questions about top tether anchors, post back. You should be able to get them retrofitted for free or for a low cost.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
craftinmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for posting this!! I was about to come ask the same question though I don't really care about the cupholders. In my DHs car (which DS rarely rides in) we have the seat forward facing (don't want to spend $300 on a seat he rarely rides in). Currently we have a Cosco but I hate it and it's time to get a different one.
I did just decide on the Evenflo Maestro though. Very nice seat and a very nice price! DH is going to be trilled that I'm getting the pink trimmed one but it's like $10 cheaper!!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love my Maestro. It is no frills, but super light weight and a great seat for airline travel.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
craftinmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Glad to see that's someone likes it. There weren't many reviews and the ones that there were not very helpful.