Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

The "why's"

Unfortunately "why" is a hard thing to search on, so if there was a thread recently feel free to point me at it.

LO is 18 months, and has entered the "why" and "where" phase. LO isn't verbal enough yet to respond well to "why do you think?" or "what did I tell you last time?", but that little brain is humming. How do you deal with the many repetitions of the "why's" and the "where's"? Example conversations would be great too!

Advertisement

twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The "why's"

I actually repeat their question back to them and 9 times out of 10 they answer it themselves.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The "why's"

I learned the hard way how to answer "why". When DD kept asking why, she didn't necessarily just want why. She wanted to know who, what when, where, why, and how. She wanted the whole picture and a live commentary of the situation. I tried to give a full of answer as possible at her level, and then she was satisfied and stopped repeating why. Now her version of why is, "What is happening?" She keeps asking until she get's a full answer.

Me: I want you to hold my hand when we cross the street.
DD: Why?
Me: Because there's danger in the road.
Me: She those cars driving by? They could hit you and you could get a really big owie. I want you to be safe, so stay close to Mama and hold my hand.
Me: Those cars can't see you. They don't know you want to cross the road, so they won't stop. Also, owies hurt a lot and you will cry. I don't want you to cry.
Me: Do you see any cars? Look left, look right. Okay, no cars. Hold my hand. It's safe to cross the road now.
DD: Okay.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote