Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
redlichen
Registered Users
seller

babies who can't sleep through a wet cloth diaper

I cloth diapered 4 years ago with BumGenius pockets.
Now I have a newborn and I am trying wraps/covers with organic cloth inserts that sit against her skin, (Gro-Via and Rumparooz) but I am now in a desperate situation and tempted to give up on cloth.
She can not sleep through a wet or poopy cloth diaper. Which means she doesn't sleep for more than 20-40 minutes during the day.
I resort to disposables at night.
I have thought of switching to pockets, that tend to pull the moisture away from their skin a bit. I hate to give up all the covers I already have plenty of. I like how if it is a wet diaper you can reuse the cover sometimes.
Her poop is especially acidic and zinc/Desitin (I have tried corn starch and also CJ's butter -don't work) is the only thing keeping her bottom healthy, which is no good for the cotton inserts.
Is there a chance that I just need to give her more time and she will get used to sleeping with wet cotton on her bum?
When do babies stop pooping in their sleep?

Advertisement

redlichen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: babies who can't sleep through a wet cloth diaper

Put a fleece liner in the diaper, you can buy 1/2 yard of fleece from the fabric store and make more than enough liners to lay in there.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would still change every time she poops though, she is going to get rashy when she poops and it's not changed no matter what sort of diaper she is wearing.

My kids usually stopped doing that by about 2-3 months? But they didn't start sleeping through the night for a long time after that, so a change in the middle of the night wasn't a huge deal.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
MamaWeeks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I cut up an old pair of fleece pajama pants to use as liners, it really does seem to help with the wetness.
Have you tried coconut oil for the rash?
My LO is 3 weeks old and she has been having less BM at night, mostly just wet but sometimes there is a very small amount of poop. (She still screams everytime she passes gas though... But her doc said its normal.)
MamaWeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If she needs stay dry then give her stay dry. I find that night time we used the bg4.0 pockets with mf above a hemp insert. mf absorbs fast and the hemp holds it back.

For rashes we loved GSE in distilled (or filtered) water. 10-15 drops per oz of water for our wipes solution. Also used lanolin (like you use for wool covers or nipples when bf) for bad rashes. Another option is using what we used on our bodies for dry skin, 3pt sunflower seed oil (or extra virgin olive oil) to 1pt caster oil (for healing). I've heard people have success with putting a thin layer of coconut over on the bum to help protect it too.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

I know some might disagree with this, but I wouldn't put my LO to sleep for the night in anything that isn't stay-dry. Maybe I'll do it once he's ready to potty train, but until then I think fleece liner at a minimum. Could you try some Thirsties size 1 now? (AIO, pocket, fitted... your pick)

Keep your covers for daytime! Pretty soon she'll be awake more during the day and may not be as bothered by feeling wet. Or at least you won't mind changing her as much.

For sure change poopy diapers right away. I would say my DS mostly stopped pooping at night by 2-3 months. When he did, it was generally while nursing so I was already awake.

Good luck and I hope you get some rest :-)
meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
redlichen
Registered Users
seller

Fleece is a good idea, I will try. Coconut oil is in CJ's. and doesn't seem to be strong enough barrier in her case.

Last edited by redlichen; 01-24-2013 at 02:20 PM.
redlichen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
akmeg78
Registered Users

Has anybody found a good fitted where it has a built in stay dry liner? Or is a fleece liner separately better for some reason? We are having the same wake-up-when-wet issue for our 9 month old.
akmeg78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thirsties is stay-dry and accessible
meljc is offline   Reply With Quote