Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My 4 year old will hold out like nothing else! I'm really tired of it. He refuses to even TRY veggies. I do not want to force him to sit at the table until he tries just one bite, because I don't want him to have a bad connection, but I am at my wits end. I am eliminating processed cereal & will do yogurt/oatmeal/fruit parfaits with sausage. Or maybe even broth & rice.
I'm just not sure how to get more veggies in! He is extremely strong willed, an I have a feeling a bit of his attitude/behavior is because he's lacking minerals & nutrients. :/
I can offer veggies for snacks, but I cannot do a LOT of dips because Ds2 has multiple food allergies. There are a few safe dressings but they aren't fans. Neither are they fans of hummus.
:/ help?!
Era: I should add ds2 doesn't do well with tomatoes (reflux) and ds1 doesn't either.) about the only veggie they DO like is corn $ that scared me since most of it is GMO..

Advertisement

E-2.1.14

Last edited by mrseum; 05-29-2013 at 04:27 PM.
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Don't buy junk, let him help prepare food, offer it with healthy dips
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nothing but junk food

I was complaining about my family eating unhealthy food a few months ago when my husband looked at me and said "So stop buying it. You are the mama, you are the one that is doing the grocery shopping. You are the reason that we eat the way we do.".

It kicked me in the gut, but I changed things. I stopped buying processed food & junk food & starting buying tons of fruits and vegetables. Most children will get hungry and will eventually decide to eat something that they can find in the house.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was thinking about this the other day as my kids love fruit but not so much veggies. Ds1 will eat salad
, celery, carrots.....Thai stir fry etc. The others are more peas, carrotts, sweet pot, corn, cauliflower and brocolli. And I mean a few bites. BUT......I was a very picky eater as a child, failure to thrive baby ( due to my mom being told to stop bf me at 6 weeks as per her)...skinny kid, teenager adult....but the funny thing is that I love all kinds of vegetables and food. I'd say I eat more variety than your average American. So that makes me worry less about the kids.

Kids naturally prefer sweet fruit rather than some bitter greens etc.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Don't buy junk, let him help prepare food,
Yes and yes!

The part about not buying junk is pretty self-explanatory, but I was surprised by how much of a difference being involved in food preparation makes for my son. If I give him a knife (not a sharp one ) and let him hack up his own carrot chunks, he's much more likely to eat them than if I cut just them up and stick them in front of him. If I let him wash them, that adds another level of fun. If he gets to help grow and pick them (of course this isn't feasible for everyone), clean them, prepare them and maybe even stir up a healthy dip to eat with them, he pretty much thinks they're the greatest.food.ever.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
firstimemommy44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
my 3 yo loves broccoli sauteed in olive oil with garlic. a bit of roasted cauliflower, salads with almonds I just had to play with preparation to see what he liked

My swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/ellen44
firstimemommy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Definitely let him prepare food. Also hide the veggies! Pasta, pizza, all are great for hiding nutrients. Cover broccoli in cheese. Do what you have to do. Zucchini bread is amazing and you don't need to tell him its zucchini as he won't taste it. "Fried" green beans and "fried" zucchini are def not as healthy as they could be but they are veggies technically.

Zucchini and squash sautéed is a really good and barely tastes like veggies. Roasted sweet potatoes and roasted peppers get really sweet when done that way so he might like it better that way.

I always had to sit and eat my veggies. I don't have any bad associations. In fact, to this day, I still feel bad of I eat dessert and ruin my dinner .
Old 05-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks! I have a big problem with DH bringing home junk. Don't get me wrong- I absolutely do too, DS2 has the food allergies so I like to have a few safe treats around the house. U will not be buying juice anymore either. There teeth are not good- especially ds2 due to reflux/breathing treatments. :/ anyways, even if ds1 is involved in prep he STILL refuses to eat the food. I'm at my wits end. I do not want to "hide" the veggies into baked goods so e thinks he's just getting more sweets...
I think some of it is a texture thing, (broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce is a no). He stopped drinking smoothies that I put spinach in, even though you couldn't taste it. I made green "icecream" too and while he took a few bites that was it.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
jsbroyer
Registered

I wouldnt stress to much. I use to hate veggies, but as I got older I love them. I have two boys and they went through a phase of not wanting to eat their veggies. My oldest DS 13 is still resistant but he eats most of them. And my youngest DS eates almost any type and he's 8, but both did go through a phase of not wanting to eat veggies or even eat around 4yrs old. If your really concerned talk to a nutritionist or his pediatrician.
jsbroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Serve the meals family style. Put a collection of acceptable foods on the table. Let him serve himself.

Its from the book Love Me Feed Me, which is really supposed to be for adopted kids, but it is working well with DS, and it has helped a friend (Sabriel on here)'s daughter too.

http://thefeedingdoctor.com/love-me-feed-me/

We also have had a lot of success with the concept of Food Chaining. If you google it, there is a good book, but also they have a blog.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote