Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

who should i put where? also infant seat questions. baby trend?

i'm playing magical seats in the van and i wanted opinions. we have a town and country and have an almost 5 year old in a nauti, 15 month old rfing in a EFTA and will have newborn foster twins sometime in feb, march or april? because they like to be really precise about stuff like due dates!

anyway the third row only has a top tether in the center seat and i'm not sure if i can fit the nauti next to anything in the third row. should i put both twins in the third row? a twin and a toddler? try and do one or both twins on the side of 5 year old in the nauti in the third row? i have done the toddler in the third row and he is fine, but i couldn't get his seat behind dds nautilus and i'm afraid an infant seat behind it either. its below zero and i'm not relishing the thought of playing with car seats at this time!!!

so we are expecting the twins to be tiny and i don't think my old snug ride will be small enough. we had a 6lb 13 oz newborn that BARELY was tall enough for it. at any rate, even if the snug ride would fit one we need one other seat preferably one that is small front to back and it would have to fit a tiny baby. i know the keyfit is recommended and i really love the seat but for the price i don't know if we can do two. is there anything else? i just eyeballed a baby trend quickly on the shelf, its nearly half the price and the harness goes down really low so i think it would be ok on that front. i just haven't heard anything about it. it said it goes to 30lbs which is amazeballs but i don't expect preemie twins to get to 30lbs too quickly anyway.

any thoughts appreciated! thanks!

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: who should i put where? also infant seat questions. baby trend?

I would not get a Baby Trend seat. I can't stand those seats, they're a PITA to install without LATCH and they have funky LATCH connectors that aren't compatible with all vehicles.

If you have a tight budget, I would look at the Comfy Carry Elite Plus: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20 If you go with this seat, make sure you get the Elite Plus because it has front adjust and an adjustable base.

or the Evenflo Embrace 35: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Em...-Lane/21670110

Walmart also has SnugRide 30s and Safety 1st OnBoard Airs for around $100.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

are any of those going to be smallish front to back? our snug ride is very long. i like the head support on that evenflo. i'd like to be able to purchase in a store so i could return them if things fall through with the placement.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

The Evenflo is available in store at Walmart. The Comfy Carry Elite Plus is small from front to back. Walmart will have some of the rear adjust ones in store for you to look at but I would not purchase that model. Amazon does have free returns if you order from them and decide it doesn't work for you, or the circumstances change.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
maramarrie
Registered Users
seller

I'm having a hard time this late in the evening to wrap my head around the seat positions for everyone, but I will weigh in on the Baby Trend. We had a BT seat and found it wasn't very user-friendly. Once we got the Keyfit we realized what we had really been missing. I love the KeyFit 100x more than the BT. One thing that may be necessary to consider is that the BT requires (or at least it used to require) that you put the carry handle down behind the seat in the car. This makes it very long from front-back and it might be a tight fit in your 3rd row. The KeyFit can leave the handle up, so it takes up less space (though there are other seats that allow the handle to be up as well). The Car Seat Lady told me that the BT is one of the longest seats because of the carry handle when installed in the vehicle. In what way is the Graco not "small enough for the newborn?" Does it have a newborn positioner? I thought all infant seats would be able to accommodate infants at least as small as 5lb, if not smaller.
maramarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

The Graco SunugRide 22 is not good for tiny babies. The 30 is great for tiny babies. Graco is confusing with all their seat names because they're so similar. The particular Evenflo seat that I recommended really does fit tiny babies and so do the Safety 1st seats.

I know I'm just some random person on a message board but I really do know car seats (I'm a tech who chooses to stay up on the lastest seats and information) and baby gear (I'm a baby planner). I went to the ABC Expo and walked around with a preemie sized doll and a newborn sized doll checking out different seats to see how they fit because those lower weight limits can be very deceptive.

Another thing about the BT seats, the seat's lever to release it from the base is under the baby's feet. That would make things more difficult if the babies are in the third row. The BT also won't last to 30 lbs because it's not tall enough. It will be outgrown by height before weight.

What is the seat configuration in the second row? Do you have captains chairs or a bench? Is the seating adjustable in any way?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm having a hard time picturing without knowing what kind of vehicle...a van, yes? Captain's seats & a 3-seat bench in the back?

I'd probably try to do the Nauti in the middle 3rd, a bucket on either side (if at all possible), and the EFTA behind the driver. Take out/fold away the other 2nd row seat for better 3rd row access. Or (still taking out the 2nd row seat) Nauti & EFTA in the back with a bucket & the other bucket in the 2nd row. B/c you won't know until you get them, you'll want to make sure you have some flexibility in case either of the twins has some medical issues &/or you may have a reason for not wanting them in the 3rd row.

We had a Keyfit 30 for DD; it took up more front-to-back space than the EFTA did.
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by maramarrie
I'm having a hard time this late in the evening to wrap my head around the seat positions for everyone, but I will weigh in on the Baby Trend. We had a BT seat and found it wasn't very user-friendly. Once we got the Keyfit we realized what we had really been missing. I love the KeyFit 100x more than the BT. One thing that may be necessary to consider is that the BT requires (or at least it used to require) that you put the carry handle down behind the seat in the car. This makes it very long from front-back and it might be a tight fit in your 3rd row. The KeyFit can leave the handle up, so it takes up less space (though there are other seats that allow the handle to be up as well). The Car Seat Lady told me that the BT is one of the longest seats because of the carry handle when installed in the vehicle. In what way is the Graco not "small enough for the newborn?" Does it have a newborn positioner? I thought all infant seats would be able to accommodate infants at least as small as 5lb, if not smaller.
Thank you everyone for your thoughts! I will probably do what you suggested carrie and put amelia between the twins in the third row and take out one captain chair for access.

Maramarrie the harness slots are higher on our snug ride than the keyfit. Because they have to be at or below babys shoulder that is often a better indicator of how well a seat will fit a tiny baby. Our snug ride *just* fit our 6lb13oz dfd and i will be ecstatic if these guys come home at that weight.

I ended up connecting with a friend of a friend and fellow foster mom who was in a similar situation where they had an older sibling and mom got pg with twins. So she sold me her 2 keyfits and snap in stroller for a sweet deal! Im so glad because theres no way i could have handled the BT latch connectors and i could have never bought them used from any old stranger that i didnt trust.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

I think you're going to have problems fitting two infant seats on either side of a Nautilus in the third row. Although it might work since you now have keyfits... they are on the narrower side of infant seats.

Will you be able to get the infant seats into their bases if they're in the third row? In some vans it is not too hard to load them through the hatch, but in other vans that's difficult or impossible.

I might try putting the twins in the middle row and your two kids in the third row. You could try an inexpensive, narrower convertible for your 15 month old, since I'm assuming that the EFTA and Nautilus are just NOT going to fit side by side.

Good luck!
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

I think you're going to have problems fitting two infant seats on either side of a Nautilus in the third row. Although it might work since you now have keyfits... they are on the narrower side of infant seats.

Will you be able to get the infant seats into their bases if they're in the third row? In some vans it is not too hard to load them through the hatch, but in other vans that's difficult or impossible.

I might try putting the twins in the middle row and your two kids in the third row. You could try an inexpensive, narrower convertible for your 15 month old, since I'm assuming that the EFTA and Nautilus are just NOT going to fit side by side.

Good luck!
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote