Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Mrs.Leichliter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Please give me a crash-course on wool covers

I just received several wool covers from a friend-of-a-friend. Disana, Imse Vimse, Lana, and Aristocrats. (And one from 7th Heaven Baby, I think?)
I know nothing about wool. What do I do with them? Can I find any pants that will fit over them? or do I just use them over a diaper, and then put my boy in BabyLegs? He is 6 mos old.
I know little about wool other than it is bullet-proof and needs to be lanolized every little while.
What do I need to know?

And...I feel horrible for saying this...but I might not even be able to use them since sometimes wool makes my allergies go nuts. i am hoping this is not the case, 'cause the covers are *gorgeous*.

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
tomandkara
Registered Users
seller

Re: Please give me a crash-course on wool covers

Before you use them, they'll have to be lanolized. Prepare a luke-warm bath of water. I like to use Lansinoh lanolin because it's easy. put a pea-sized amount of the lanolin in a cup with a lid, squirt a bit of baby soap in, and fill about half way with hot water. Then put on the top and shake vigorously until the lanolin is melted into the water. Dump this into the luke-warm water bath and swish around to combine. Then turn your cover inside out and put in your cover (you can do more than one at a time if you're not worried about the colors bleeding) and let it soak for at least fifteen minutes. After it's done soaking, gently wrong it out. I like to lay a towel flat and lay the wool on the towel and then roll up the towel (as if I'm making a jelly roll) and squeeze to get the water out. Then lay flat to dry.

When the wool smells like urine after it's been used and aired out, it's time to wash it. Mine literally go months between washings!

If I wasn't clear about anything, let me know!

You could put pants over them but baby legs would be awesome, too!
Find me on facebook and Hyena Cart to see my custom-dyed wool interlock, hybrid fitted diapers, and children's clothes! I stock Thursdays at 9:00 p.m. EST!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
akmeg78
Registered Users

Do you lanolize every time you wash?
akmeg78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:09 AM   #4
Abbie@Mom'sMilkBoutique
Registered Users
Formerly: Abbie
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

LOVE wool. Congratulations!! I hope you can use them...and you may find that the different materials and weaves make your allergies react or not. So, if you do find yourself reacting to one, I would try the others.

Here's our crash course in wool...it tells you how often, etc. and there are lots of different products you can use to lanolize too. Lansinoh is something breastfeeders may have on hand.

http://www.momsmilkboutique.com/how-...er-covers.html
Girasol | Calin Bleu | Natibaby | BabyHawk | Sakura Bloom | Beco Baby | ERGObaby | Boba
Abbie@Mom'sMilkBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote