Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
workingdiaperingmom
Registered Users

Going broke starting my stash

I've been attempting to start up my stash for the past 3 months, and I just got around to calculating how much I've actually spent, and it's come out to over $1000!!! =(

At first I thought I could do AIOs, but then discovered my son was sensitive to suedecloth =(

So after going to natural fibers and microfleece, I discovered that side snapping and waist elastic were the only types that didn't set off his reflux.

So after so much trial and error and trying out different diapers, I calculated how much I've actually spent on diapers, wet bags, and such, and it's come out to over $1000 =(

Am I the only one having to spend this kind of money? I thought cloth diapering was supposed to save me money =(

Advertisement

workingdiaperingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Going broke starting my stash

Well it's like anything else baby relatated. You can spend as much or as little as you want. You can get a great, really effective stash for $250 or you can spend lots more as you have seen. I did not spend anywhere near what you did to start out but I certainly have after 6 years and 3 kids. Realistically though I caution against deciding on one type and then filling out a whole stash with it unless you are positive that it already works. Were you aat least able to sell any of it? In the long run it should even out especially if you plan on more children.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
workingdiaperingmom
Registered Users

Yes, it is true that start up costs can be high.

I never did fill out an entire stash with one type of diaper. Looking back, I think I tried over 25 different diapers. I probably spent at least $20 per diaper, so I guess it sort of makes sense that I spent that much. But it still sounds crazy.

I am trying to recoup the costs by selling some of the things I have, but it's a lot of work! But then again, it's so easy to buy =P
Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
HappiMom
Registered Users
seller

I haven't spent that much yet, but I'm just getting started. I'm not surprised by that number, honestly. It really does add up, but that is likely still less than you'd spend on disposables in the long run. Maybe you should sell the dipes that haven't worked and get some of your money back. Sounds like they were only gently used, so resale should be good.

I just wanted to say that your comment about reflux is really interesting. My daughter had horrible reflux, so I'm going to keep that in mind for the new baby.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
shan1212
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried selling off what hasn't worked for you? I know I've spent a lot, but I've also recouped maybe 50% of what I've spent too, so that makes me feel better.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
Raspberry Kisses
Registered Users
seller

Spending too much is easy to do. With my first, who is now 3 1/2 and potty trained, I visited a local boutique in search of the perfect baby carrier and walked out with 24 brand new Bum Genius pocket diapers. We used them for a while and I took really good care of them but ended up selling 16 on Craigslist because we had switched back to disposables (spending a lot of time in hospitals tends to do that). We used the remaining 8 when she was ready to start potty training, but selling those diapers was a really bad decision and we took a hit financially.

Hindsight being 20/20 and with baby #2 due in 10 weeks, I started researching cloth diapers again. Thankfully, I stumbled across DiaperSwappers (wish I had 4 years ago) and I'm reading and learning so much and don't intend to make the same mistake again.

My advice: if you haven't destashed yet and plan to have more kids, figure out what you like and make small stash changes. Every baby is different so you may want to hold onto what you have. Or you may decide that certain combos don't work for your family. Try trading as much as possible.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and I hope the advice you get from this thread helps.
Raspberry Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
workingdiaperingmom
Registered Users

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the comments and advice.

Yes, in the grand scheme of things, I will definitely be saving money over disposables, especially if I have another kid.

I guess it was just a slap in the face this morning when I starting adding up all the "here and there" purchases to figure out what worked for us.

I do live near a store that sells cloth diapers from different brands, so I was able to weed out the ones that I knew I didn't like, and left with one of each type that I thought would work for me and the family. So I was sort of lucky in that sense.

I am planning on selling off the diapers that didn't work for us, and probably won't work for us in the future, mostly because the reason why they didn't work was our own personal preference/experience, rather than the baby not agreeing with diaper. Hopefully since I only used each diaper a handful of times, I can recoup the majority of the costs.

Also, my preferences have definitely changed since I started cloth diapering. I guess that's just what happens when you try so many diapers!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
shoebert
Registered Users
seller

I'm in the 1000+ range as well, and my DS isn't even in the OS range yet. I could be a one-man cloth diaper trial, I've bought so many different kinds to try. I just figure I'll sell off what I don't end up liking/using, but every time I see a great sale or find out about another supposedly awesome diaper, I have to buy some. It's horrible! :-)
shoebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I refuse to figure up what I have spent

That said, I've now cloth diapered three kids. I know that while I love all the pretty fluff, I could very easily cloth diaper with nothing but GMD prefolds trifolded and a couple good covers. It can be done for VERY little money. I set up a friend for about $80 and it is stuff that will take her child to potty training.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote