Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Laundry question, please help!

It's not just that it doesn't work for some people though. There was a huge issue with it causing rashes and damaging diapers (cotton prefolds) too. Not just a few people either. I think Karen is incredibly fair and helpful so I don't believe she would say that in a prejudicial manner at all. She is not trying to pad it to avoid honoring a warranty but rather genuinely trying to help people. That said every diaper company has something that they say not to use or not to do that lots of people do anyway. If RnG works for you then use it. I was just explaining why she might have come to that conclusion after being around for a while and seeing lots of issues.

ETA: To your original question, use whatever works best for you! You can use anything at all. There really are no rules to diaper washing. I would avoid detergents with fabric softener but other than that don't overthink it.

Advertisement

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek

Last edited by nonipie; 01-25-2013 at 04:33 PM.
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I admit it does scare me, makes me wonder if i;m missing something and if I should switch to be safe, but then I feel like succumbing I am to peer pressure I don't understand now my clean smelling diapers could somehow not be clean. Sigh.

may I ask why you switch between two detergents?
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
rooster2012
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s
I admit it does scare me, makes me wonder if i;m missing something and if I should switch to be safe, but then I feel like succumbing I am to peer pressure I don't understand now my clean smelling diapers could somehow not be clean. Sigh.

may I ask why you switch between two detergents?
Of course :-) One mom of five that I know who CDs swears by alternating detergents or at least switching every once in a while. She says it keeps stink and build up to a minimum. I've only alternated twice now since LO is only 7 months old and CD detergent lasts a long time. I started with BG, then RnG, now almost through another BG. I also use one tbsp of Funk Rock from RnG in every load as a 30 min presoak. LO hasn't had any rash issues, I don't have repelling and I haven't yet stripped my dipes because I haven't needed to. I may just stick with my routine. I only bought 2 workhorse fitteds and I don't expect them to last forever anyway. Lol :-)
Old 01-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My last advice is to do what works but that if the detergent really works it just does not need to be complicated. No switching detergents, no fancy cycles, soaks etc. Rinse, hot wash, and done. Buildup and stink are not normal so if she is experiencing that there is something not working. Stripping is not necessary ever either.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It kinda sounds like what I was told with Shampoo (before I went No-poo) you hair gets used to one shampoo so you should alternate to clean the gunk from the first shampoo

sounds like a fine idea to me. When I had a top loader I never felt the need to strip that I can recall. I used biokleen liquid detergent.

With my FL I had issues with the biokleen so I switched to RnG because I thought it would rinse clear the best with my FL and soft water. I admit I occasionally feel the need to do a second wash or use oxygen bleach to strip a little (were talking once very few months though). I figure some people gave in and use bleach every wash, if I need to only use it once in a while things are going good. I honestly blame the FL with no water more than the detergent....

These days I am also washing 3 trainers and some wipes. I add a towel in to get more water. The lack of a load hurts things too.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 01-25-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #16
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

wanting to say I'm one whose baby was affected and whose diapers were runined unsing RnG. However the damage was almost imediate.. Diapers from the start were comming out smelly and horribly stained my DD instantly developed rashes that went from slight to horrible and with in not too long I started getting holes in some of my diapers..
Why I have no idea but it wasn't good, I switched back to tide after the RnG company stopped returning my Emails asking for help and the issues stopped...
My guess is if you've been successfully using RnG this long and haven't had issues I think your okay to coutinue..
FWIW I now use Targets Pristine Clean I need a detergent with no added brighteners or colors as my DD is sensitive to these we do best with an enzyme detergent though.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote