Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Chicco Key Fit without base installation

So I found out that our sitter doesn't 'like' to use a base with bucket seats. We have a Chicco Key fit for our LO. We have 2 bases already but were going to purchase one for her also, because she takes her kids to school and mine ride with her.

What are the stats on safety using a seatbelt only? I know there are instructions in the manual but it doesn't seem as safe. What are your thoughts?

She has a 2011 Toyota Sienna.

Advertisement

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Good question! I'm curious what others think.

I'm not a car seat tech and I haven't seen how the seat installs, but offhand it seems if anything safer. It's one less part to fail (seat secured to base), assuming installation is done correctly.

And this is slightly off topic, but FWIW, both of my key fit bases were defective with seatbelt installation. (The lockoff pried open.). Anyone with a key fit please watch out for this!
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Properly installed, it's as safe as the base. The base is for convenience . Not added safety.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Chicco Key Fit without base installation

A baseless install can be as safe as an installation with the base. As a tech, I discourage parents from using them because the more you uninstall and reinstall, the larger the margin for error. I really would not be comfortable with a sitter doing it unless the sitter was a tech or someone I knew was really good with car seats. It's not all that easy to get the base properly installed and tight enough with a baby in it.

I would not allow the sitter to do this. I would talk with her about why she doesn't like bases and either convince her to use one or not allow her to transport the baby. There is really no good reason not to use a base.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

She will be installing and uninstalling the base also to accommodate her family on the weekends.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Honestly- I'd reach her how to do a belt install. Not all people are incapable of doing such things. A base is not required and if she can install it safely, I'd be cool. I used one on/off with my daycare guy. It was actually easier without since he only rode in my car 3x a week. A seatbelt install, with his seat and my van- simple. Getting his base to install was actually harder. It was terrible!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

It has nothing to do with being capable or incapable, DH is very capable of installing seats but I wouldn't be comfortable with him doing it every time he transports DS. He always has me double check his installs. Heck, at a seat check, you always have someone else come and check your work ( Safe Kids requires a Senior Checker to double check at their events) just to make sure.

They Keyfit base (especially with LATCH) is one of the easiest car seats to install. If it's a seating position with LATCH, I would request that she use the base because the install is one of the easiest out there, it's hard to make a mistake on.