Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
evasimone's Avatar
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,015
Re: Nipple Shield question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadavis85 View Post
They make different sizes of nipple shields too. I bought mine at babys'r'us, but it's been about 4 years ago.
The LC said I have the right size and it does fit my nipple pretty good. Minus the extra space at the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbaby3728 View Post
Is baby sucking your nipple thru the holes of shield? That was a big issue I had when we used one.
No she isn't doing that but wow that sounds really painful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy View Post
Op, how's it going?


Remember no matter how your baby's fed, you're doing awesome!
Sorry it took me a bit to respond. I now have thrush and baby doesn't so I am putting off getting her back on the breast until that's cleared up. I am a bit torn on if it's the right decision because I know waiting longer isn't ideal but then I don't want to end up passing the thrush back and forth with my LO. It seems like their isn't a very good solution.

So for now I am still exclusively pumping and hoping to get the thrush gone. I am not having to supplement with any formula any more and I am actually creating a small surplus which I am super happy about. Thank you for the support, I really appreciate it.

Advertisement

__________________
E, wife to my rock, S 2009
Mama to DD 1/13
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
kmadavis85's Avatar
kmadavis85
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 224
I hope it clears up for you fast! we battled thrush for a week then good for a few days then it came back. Both me & baby had it, but we both got a prescription & I made sure to sterilize the binkys & change nursing pads a lot. It's frustrating, but hang in there!
kmadavis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
evasimone's Avatar
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,015
Re: Nipple Shield question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadavis85 View Post
I hope it clears up for you fast! we battled thrush for a week then good for a few days then it came back. Both me & baby had it, but we both got a prescription & I made sure to sterilize the binkys & change nursing pads a lot. It's frustrating, but hang in there!
I think mine has mostly cleared up but I hear it's sneaky and can return. I tried nursing her with shield yesterday and it didn't go that well again. I don't know why it's so hard for me...

I fed her twice using the shield, the first time went well but I noticed the tip of my nipple felt sore after. I fed her again and right after feeding a huge milk blister popped up.
__________________
E, wife to my rock, S 2009
Mama to DD 1/13
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone

I think mine has mostly cleared up but I hear it's sneaky and can return. I tried nursing her with shield yesterday and it didn't go that well again. I don't know why it's so hard for me...

I fed her twice using the shield, the first time went well but I noticed the tip of my nipple felt sore after. I fed her again and right after feeding a huge milk blister popped up.
Oh mama! That sounds painful. Are you using the shield to try and keep the thrush from passing? Or another reason?
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
evasimone's Avatar
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,015
Re: Nipple Shield question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
Oh mama! That sounds painful. Are you using the shield to try and keep the thrush from passing? Or another reason?
I am using the shield because of multiple issues. I have a ridiculously long thread where I lay it all out. The short version would be, bad latch, nipples missing chunks, baby not gaining any weight at all from birth, supplementing with formula at 2 weeks with a bottle, mild tongue tie that we had clipped, nipple confusion that made her bad latch worse and I couldn't take the pain anymore, EPing for two weeks to allow healing, finally deciding to use a shield as a temporary stop gap measure.

Here's the thread if you want to view it:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1481548

I called my LC and she thinks that either I am putting my nipple in crooked or that it's being pulled through the holes. She's suggested I try a few more times making sure my nipple is centered well and see if the damage gets worse. And then if it gets worse I'll know that it's being sucked through the holes and that we will discuss another option.
__________________
E, wife to my rock, S 2009
Mama to DD 1/13
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #16
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone

I am using the shield because of multiple issues. I have a ridiculously long thread where I lay it all out. The short version would be, bad latch, nipples missing chunks, baby not gaining any weight at all from birth, supplementing with formula at 2 weeks with a bottle, mild tongue tie that we had clipped, nipple confusion that made her bad latch worse and I couldn't take the pain anymore, EPing for two weeks to allow healing, finally deciding to use a shield as a temporary stop gap measure.

Here's the thread if you want to view it:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1481548

I called my LC and she thinks that either I am putting my nipple in crooked or that it's being pulled through the holes. She's suggested I try a few more times making sure my nipple is centered well and see if the damage gets worse. And then if it gets worse I'll know that it's being sucked through the holes and that we will discuss another option.
You're such a trooper! I'll be praying for things to smooth out and resolve quickly for you. :-)
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
evasimone's Avatar
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,015
Re: Nipple Shield question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
You're such a trooper! I'll be praying for things to smooth out and resolve quickly for you. :-)
Thank you.

Well I've figured out the problem. I fed her with the nipple shield and when I took it off my nipple had four raised bumps on the end. I am definitely being pulled through the holes at the end. I am seriously feeling super unlucky. Why can't something work out for me?
__________________
E, wife to my rock, S 2009
Mama to DD 1/13
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #18
tibeca's Avatar
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,936
My Mood:
Re: Nipple Shield question.

FYI, if you're giving her your pumped milk, you aren't saving her from thrush. Thrush is easily transferred onto your pump/parts and in your milk. Better to treat you both and get it all done in one fell swoop. Switching back and forth from bottle to breast is hard for some babies. More practice will be frustrating but should help in the long run. And if you need a morale boost, contact La Leche League. They'll pump you up and make you feel like you can do anything!
__________________
Tibeca, Certified Breastfeeding Specialist

Baby Monkeys on Hyena Cart
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
SareeW
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 35
My Mood:
Re: Nipple Shield question.

Just be careful! My 4 month old still uses the Nipple Shield! I can't get her to nurse without it. She will scream until I put it on. I'd rather nurse with it that not at all, but I've really grown to hate the thing!
SareeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #20
Alaga's Avatar
Alaga
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Upper Midwest
Posts: 968
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SareeW
Just be careful! My 4 month old still uses the Nipple Shield! I can't get her to nurse without it. She will scream until I put it on. I'd rather nurse with it that not at all, but I've really grown to hate the thing!
Just keep trying. I used a nipple shield with DD and it took until she was about 4 months until I was able to wean her off of it. My awesome LC helped a lot. Start nursing with it on, then try taking it off midway through nursing on that side and see of the baby can relatch.
__________________

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.