Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Bonding After C-sec Tips?

I had a checkup ultrasound last week (28 weeks) that confirmed my anterior, low lying placenta was still completely (and then some) covering my cervix. So I am most likely going to have a c-sec. I am completely ok with this since I know its whats best, but I am a little anxious about the unknowns of a c-sec. And since I have never heard of c-sec birth classes (probably since most aren't scheduled?) I am hoping to pick your brains and experience!

The first thing on my mind is bonding after birth (concerned about this because I had bad ppd after ds so I want to optimize bonding regardless of how I birth). I havent taken my hospital tour yet so i know a lot will depend on their procedures (and my OB's preference) but at this point I dont even know what questions to ask. Any tips or things to ask for?

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
lilannies mama
Registered Users
seller

I had a c-section plus the baby was in nicu for 50 days I didn't get to see or hold her til 4 days after she was born because of complications with me. I had no issues bonding with the baby she knew who I was instantly which made me feel so much better. I had bad ppd also. If you get to go to term & have a scheduled section mine was an emergency though I was going for a check up & ended up with a baby lol. I would just ask if you can see or hold baby after they get it out. That is what I miss most I was last to see her. So my milk never came in & I really wanted to breast feed I got just enough to get her through her nicu stay with no extra. Ask about baby rooming in with you or how that works at your hospital. If you get to breast feed immediately if you plan to do so. Pretty much the same as if you weren't having a c-section. The only thing different is where the baby will be coming from. But believe me once you see that sweet baby you won't even remember a c-section it won't be hard at all to bond. Honestly cause of baby's issues & mine I think we bonded a lot easier even not seeing her for 4 days
lilannies mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
77Lipen
Registered Users

I had a planned c-section. She was my first so I can say whether I 'bonded' with her correctly.
My husband was not about the skin to skin and while I was in recovery my mom took baby on a show and tell around the hospital (she works there) so even after recovery I still hadn't been able to hold her until my husband dragged her back (1/2 hr after I was in the room).
But I think we're good.
I held her every second I could, breastfed when she was hungry, and did skin to skin when there was no one around and it was ok to hang my boobs out.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
srbordenstein
Registered Users
seller

Re: Bonding After C-sec Tips?

My first baby was an unplanned c-section. I didn't get to hold her for about 3 hours, but we bonded perfectly - no problems. My second baby was a c-section when the VBAC didn't work out. I did a bit of research prior to the delivery because I knew it would be a possibility and made a few requests:
1. I wanted to hold baby in the O/R before they took her to the nursery. They allowed me to spend some time with her while they stitched me up. The doctor actually pulled her straight out of my abdomen and up over the curtain (all very quick) so that I could see her right away. Very bloody, but it meant a lot to me to actually see her as soon as she started crying.
2. Postpone the bath- this is the BIGGIE. After they bathe the baby it takes an hour or so in the warmer to bring back her temp. This will keep baby away the longest and it is unnecessary. They can wipe the baby off without a bath and she is still clean. They can bathe her after you've had a chance to bond and breastfeed.
3. Ask that procedures be done in the recovery room instead of nursery. They can do the exam while she's on your chest.

Of course, this all depends on him/her being healthy. But if you ask your doctor ahead of time they are usually really good about respecting your wishes. Delegate this to your partner and they can make sure your requests are met. There is a great podcast on preggiepals.com called the Natural Cesarean (episode 2). Tons of great tips. And don't worry too much about it. The baby will know you right away and bond immediately.
srbordenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
srbordenstein
Registered Users
seller

oops -deleted, duplicate
srbordenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Try to hold baby as much as possible. Room in if allowed. Even if it isn't(my first wasn't) ask for them to bring baby to you as often as possible. Take the pain meds offered. It is harder to bond when you are in excruciating pain. Rest as much as you can. Line up help when you get home so you can concentrate on baby. Look into getting a c-section belt if you can afford it. We couldn't but a tight swimsuit helps a lot to hold your stomach in place. This helps to minimize your pain allowing you to focus more on baby than on your pain.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
77Lipen
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko
Try to hold baby as much as possible. Room in if allowed. Even if it isn't(my first wasn't) ask for them to bring baby to you as often as possible. Take the pain meds offered. It is harder to bond when you are in excruciating pain. Rest as much as you can. Line up help when you get home so you can concentrate on baby. Look into getting a c-section belt if you can afford it. We couldn't but a tight swimsuit helps a lot to hold your stomach in place. This helps to minimize your pain allowing you to focus more on baby than on your pain.
Yes... Take the pain meds as instructed. Don't be a hero... Lol. I missed a dose an man I paid for it.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Lipen

Yes... Take the pain meds as instructed. Don't be a hero... Lol. I missed a dose an man I paid for it.
I will 3rd this. I stopped taking the Percocet because I thought it wasn't working. It was obviously taking the edge off because the pain was excruciating without it and I couldn't even hold my baby once I was in that much pain. It is hard to get back on top of the pain after that.

I bonded well with DS1, but he did bond better to dh initially, as hubby is a very involved daddy, and had to handle most care the first couple days.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

A lot depends on procedure. Hopefully you'll be awake and able to hold baby almost immediately. Hold the baby, love the baby, how it came out isn't important, it's equally "your baby" either way.

I 4th the pain meds. And lots of help. Good luck!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks! My two irl friends who have c-sec only used tylenol and advil for pain so I am glad everyone else has good things to say about the pain meds. Somewhere I even read that it actually helps everything heal faster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbordenstein View Post
1. I wanted to hold baby in the O/R before they took her to the nursery. They allowed me to spend some time with her while they stitched me up. The doctor actually pulled her straight out of my abdomen and up over the curtain (all very quick) so that I could see her right away. Very bloody, but it meant a lot to me to actually see her as soon as she started crying.
2. Postpone the bath- this is the BIGGIE. After they bathe the baby it takes an hour or so in the warmer to bring back her temp. This will keep baby away the longest and it is unnecessary. They can wipe the baby off without a bath and she is still clean. They can bathe her after you've had a chance to bond and breastfeed.
3. Ask that procedures be done in the recovery room instead of nursery. They can do the exam while she's on your chest.

Of course, this all depends on him/her being healthy. But if you ask your doctor ahead of time they are usually really good about respecting your wishes. Delegate this to your partner and they can make sure your requests are met. There is a great podcast on preggiepals.com called the Natural Cesarean (episode 2). Tons of great tips. And don't worry too much about it. The baby will know you right away and bond immediately.
Great things for me to talk with my OB about at my next appt! Thanks! Gonna check out that link, too.