Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
home birth question

If you have a homebirth, without a midwife or anything....what do you do afterward? Dr checkup the next day? How do you get the babies precise weight and such? How do you get a birth certificate and ssn for the baby?

We aren't planning a homebirth. But my first labor was 17 hours, the next was only 4. So I'm kinda paranoid this next baby may just fall out on it's own. It seems kinda silly to go to the hospital if you've already made it through the birth, but maybe that's what you do? Idk, who has btdt and how does it work?!?!

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: home birth question

I had an unassisted (planned) a few months back. Afterward, we kinda sat in awe for a while. We let baby stay attached until about an hour and a half after the birth. Cut the cord then because the placenta still hadn't come out on it's own. It did quickly after being able to get up and move around. I didn't have anything special prepared, other than a midwives birth kit, very little of which was used. The depends were really nice, though. Sterilized scissors with alcohol and tied the cord with dental floss.

Since I birthed on towels dh just threw them in the wash and there wasn't any other clean up. Just a few spots of blood missed that I noticed the next day.

I have a scale that weighs to the 1/10 pound, so I weighed myself and then weight myself holding baby and subtracted. Precise enough for me.

It's different in every state but to get a bc you probably only need proof of pregnancy and two signed notarized statements that they wtinessed the birth. I didn't get one though and don't plan to anytime soon. I don't want to sign up for welfare or open a bank account, which is the only thing they are good for. If baby chooses to get a license, passport or work a tax paying job she can get one when she is of age to consent to the forms and what they entail.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
ofthemoonsglow
Registered Users
Formely: Mia**da
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have to ask because of a personal experience but are you saying you didnt get a birth certificate?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #4
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When we have delivered with a midwife at home, she weighs the baby and registers the birth, and you apply for the birth certificate same as usual. Now, we are in a different system than you, but that's how it works here, and I'm assuming if you would have a registered midwife, that's how it would work for you. Also, with a homebirth, the midwife generally comes to visit you at home for the first few days post-partum, and handles all your needs until 6 weeks.

If you have an unplanned/emergency homebirth, I think it's common to go in to the hospital afterwards for a check up (stitches, etc, if necessary) and to get the paperwork taken care of.

Personally, if you think you might end up delivering at home, I'd suggest planning for a homebirth, rather than having a panicky "do we go in, no we can't it's too late, ahhh the baby's coming!!!" sort of scenario. Homebirth with a midwife is a great way to have a baby!
Old 07-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cricket~
When we have delivered with a midwife at home, she weighs the baby and registers the birth, and you apply for the birth certificate same as usual. Now, we are in a different system than you, but that's how it works here, and I'm assuming if you would have a registered midwife, that's how it would work for you. Also, with a homebirth, the midwife generally comes to visit you at home for the first few days post-partum, and handles all your needs until 6 weeks.

If you have an unplanned/emergency homebirth, I think it's common to go in to the hospital afterwards for a check up (stitches, etc, if necessary) and to get the paperwork taken care of.

Personally, if you think you might end up delivering at home, I'd suggest planning for a homebirth, rather than having a panicky "do we go in, no we can't it's too late, ahhh the baby's coming!!!" sort of scenario. Homebirth with a midwife is a great way to have a baby!
Exactly. Most people who deliver at home unplanned go to the hospital after. If you plan a homebirth either with a midwife or unassisted you will be fine to stay home when you are prepared and studied. If not I think you should go to the hospital.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cricket~ View Post

Thanks Ladies! That's kinda why I'm looking into it now. I'd prefer my epidural if it's going to be as long as my first labor, but made it through my second without. If only we could know ahead of time what was coming for us in labor! It would be so much easier to be prepared.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

When my 2nd was born at home, the midwife came back for a 24 hour check up and a 48 hour checkup (I think, it may have been closer intervals). She handled paperwork for us, and I was responsible for getting baby into see the ped for a 2-3 day check up.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadsThatBind View Post
Thanks Ladies! That's kinda why I'm looking into it now. I'd prefer my epidural if it's going to be as long as my first labor, but made it through my second without. If only we could know ahead of time what was coming for us in labor! It would be so much easier to be prepared.
on being prepared: ive never had an epidural, but i have had 3 natural births of varying lengths and intensities. with this last one i used a TENS machine....oh, man, i can honestly say that i wish i had it for my other 2 births bc the pain relief it afforded me during labor was **AMAZING**. if you get one of these, i bet you can have your baby without any additional pain relief!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:19 AM   #9
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadsThatBind View Post
First one is usually the worst. If you made it through the second without an epidural, I'm sure you can do it for this one. Renting a TENS machine could be a good option, but water also provides great relaxation and relief. Also, my midwives say that in their experience, the women who plan to deliver at home, in their own space, have an easier labour anyways. (Not EASY - it still hurts! - just easiER.) Much less fuss and bother, no frantic drive to the hospital, admission, forms, getting into positions that make the doctor happy, etc. You do what you need to when you want to, and that makes labour go more smoothly and more easily.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #10
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here in NC- MW helps you get settle and cleaned up right after birth, weighs baby and does all measurements, apgar, etc and gives you a copy of everything. Comes 1 day later and a week later to check up and you have the option of taking baby to ped for pku, etc after birth.
For birth certificate you take the baby to your local county office and they give you paperwork, witness you have a newborn, and file the papers with the state and you get a birth certificate that way (and SS number).
With a faster labor been done I'd plan a homebirth just since they are easier (in my opinion and safer but that's me- I've had 3 hospital births and 2 homebirths and my last 2 births were 45 mins and 30 mins respectively).