Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
happy2beamom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Weird Question, but thought i'd ask here for help.

Has anybody else had any experience with a weird taste in their mouth? It makes me sicker because everything tastes 'funny' and it tastes that way if i'm eating or not and even drinking water tastes gross.

Does anybody have an idea of what it might be? I am going to ask my doctor on my appt on Tuesday, but seriously it happened around boxing day and hasn't let up

I've tried alternating when i take which vitamin to see if it was that, but it happens no matter what time i take them. BTW in a day i'm taking 1 prental, 1 fishoil capsule, 3 probiotic capsules, 1 cranberry capsule, 2 drops Vitamin D3, 1 calcium pill, 3 magnesium pills.

Do you think it could be the prenatal vitamin? Or is this some weird anomaly? Is something wrong with me Please someone tell me they have been there

OH, and i'm 12 weeks 3 days.

Advertisement

Last edited by happy2beamom; 02-02-2013 at 09:33 PM.
happy2beamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

The fish oil capsules could be to blame?
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Weird Question, but thought i'd ask her for help.

That's been the norm for all three of my pregnancies. It's mostly a metallic taste for me, but sometimes it's just that everything tastes "off".
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
happy2beamom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Weird Question, but thought i'd ask here for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
The fish oil capsules could be to blame?
Would i still have the taste from the day before? I basically wake up and within 20 minutes i have this horrible taste. I take the fish oil with dinner. Tried with breakfast, comes back up too much and THAT does NOT help NOT getting sick
Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
happy2beamom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Weird Question, but thought i'd ask her for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
That's been the norm for all three of my pregnancies. It's mostly a metallic taste for me, but sometimes it's just that everything tastes "off".
Hum, it is a really hard to describe taste. By metallic do you mean kind of like blood taste? Mine is kind of like dry mouth mixed with acid mixed with bile If i could describe it It is honestly like nothing i've ever experienced. DH keeps telling me to brush my teeth or use Scope but i tell him it DOESN'T help. In fact, brushing my teeth makes me start gagging and we all know where that ends up
Old 02-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
lalakiwi7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

YES!!!!! I have had it with all my pregnancies. ITS HORRIBLE. With my first it made me cry because it was so annoying. It is just unnerving almost.... a bit like metal or dried blood but just nagging. Makes MS WAY worse. Mine usually lingered until about 16 weeks with my DD. I have never made it past 11 weeks with any of my other pregnancies so not sure there but this time around I am almost 13 weeks and my MS has eased up some but the taste is still there. and it's actually a hormone thing "they" think and it's called dysguesia and I guess it's pretty common in pregnancy. But with my DD it was my most hated symptom at times.

I usually suck on lemon drops or chew gum... I have tried vinegar, brushing my tongue, sour candy and none of it helps for very long just masks it temporarily. I know it sounds weird but it really just is so nagging and persistant it makes me grumpy some days and it's so not like me!!
Liesl-(like Sound of Music.) ER Nurse Practitioner part time. Full time wifey to my highschool sweetheart and mommy to DS-2006 (adopted) and DD-2009 (biobaby). We love Jesus! Until the day we meet again missing our three babies 7/2011;11/2011; DS-7/2012. THANKFUL to be After 3 years and 3 losses with our #2 biobaby RAINBOW IT"S A BOY!! Expected 8/2013
lalakiwi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have noticed that I get this when I am dehydrated. I first noticed it when I was in chemo and the doctor said the same thing. I guess it is common. However I don't remember it with my prior pregnancies. You can use a tongue scraper and that often brings a bit of relief for me.

Good luck!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Metallic tastes are a fun lesser known pregnancy symptom
Old 02-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
I have noticed that I get this when I am dehydrated. I first noticed it when I was in chemo and the doctor said the same thing. I guess it is common. However I don't remember it with my prior pregnancies. You can use a tongue scraper and that often brings a bit of relief for me.

Good luck!
Same here with the dehydration, leaves a fuzzy sort of metallic feeling in my mouth. But, I can't drink alot at once as it upsets my stomach so I've been eating alot of popsicles...not the greatest, but at least it is something. Chewing gum helps keep my mouth from feeling gross too.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
KatieB621
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post

Good luck!
Ditto the nasty taste when dehydrated. I never have had it with my other pregnancies either, but I've had it off and on with this one. I think it's caused by too much progesterone, or so I've been told. Not sure if that's accurate or not.