Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Malenkaya
Registered Users
seller

Saying Hello

I just wanted to come in and say hello.

After 7 miscarriages (the last being a set of twins in the summer of 2011) DH and I gave up on having more children. I turned 40 in November, which was my self imposed cut off date for having another baby. Our daughter will be 5 in May. We are currently discussing the idea of fostering to adopt. We are in Texas.

I realize the foster system is more about putting the children back with their bio parents or other relatives if possible and we understand that. We hope that we will get to foster some babies that do get to go home and that someday the right one will be made available to stay in our home and be adopted.

I just wanted to write an introduction and say hi, because I'll be lurking around these boards and may end up posting here and there. The next orientation meeting to learn about how everything works here is on February 12th.

Advertisement

Last edited by Malenkaya; 01-29-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Malenkaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Saying Hello

Welcome!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:

Welcome! The foster moms on here are an amazing wealth of knowledge and experience.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Welcome!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Welcome! I am on the foster/adopt path as well!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
NSB
Registered Users
seller

Welcome!! I had a self-imposed cutoff of 40 as well! LOL
Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Malenkaya
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies! DH and I are having dinner Tuesday night with a guy he know from work, and his wife, who have been fostering and adopting for years. Looking forward to an evening learning as much as we can from them.

Even though we have so far to go, the reality of doing this is sinking in a little.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
dalynn1997
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malenkaya View Post
I just wanted to come in and say hello.

After 7 miscarriages (the last being a set of twins in the summer of 2011) DH and I gave up on having more children. I turned 40 in November, which was my self imposed cut off date for having another baby. Our daughter will be 5 in May. We are currently discussing the idea of fostering to adopt. We are in Texas.

I realize the foster system is more about putting the children back with their bio parents or other relatives if possible and we understand that. We hope that we will get to foster some babies that do get to go home and that someday the right one will be made available to stay in our home and be adopted.

I just wanted to write an introduction and say hi, because I'll be lurking around these boards and may end up posting here and there. The next orientation meeting to learn about how everything works here is on February 12th.
Welcome, after many years of IF we became foster parents. We were very willing to foster but had hopes of adopting. We adopted our first son, Caleb. He was our 9th foster child and we picked him up in the NICU. He was 14 months at adoption. We are in the process of adopting our second son who is Caleb's full bio brother. He was a month old when he came to our home and we will be finalizing his adoption this summer. He was our 20th foster child.

It has been a crazy ride but so well worth it. I became a first time forever mommy just 2 months prior to my 40th birthday. I truly believe all the years of heartache with IF and miscarriage/adoption losses better equipped me for the emotional part of fostering. I always say that Caleb's first purpose in life was to mend this mommy's broken heart.

No matter how hard fostering has been at times. I know that God has used me to touch 20 children's lives and in the process gave me 2 amazing forever children.
Christian Wife to DH married 16 years. Forever mommy to my adopted son #9 C (3 yrs) Currently fostering #20 A our bonus buddy full sibling to my adopted son (16 mths). We have fostered 20 children so far, some with medical special needs. Still hoping for a forever girl.
dalynn1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
RN83
Registered Users

My Mood:
We are also in the foster/adopt process after 3 years of IF treatment. We always knew that we wanted to adopt, so it wasn't that big of a jump for us. We are hoping to continue IVF as well, but for now focusing on the adoption process!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
RN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Malenkaya
Registered Users
seller

Just wanted to update and say we met tonight with the couple DH knows the husband of through work and we had a wonderful time. They have an agency they love and highly recommend so we will be contacting them. The front page of their website indicates there is currently a statewide urgent need for homes for infants, sibling groups and teenagers. I'm not comfortable with teenagers with our daughter still being so young, but we were told if we were open to a sibling group and any race we could probably be quickly placed with 2-3 siblings, the youngest being a baby. I had been thinking of just one child at a time and worried about only having one spare bedroom to make into another child's room, but she doesn't think that would be an issue.

I guess the next part is tons of paperwork. She said it's lots and lots and lots of paperwork, and classes and tons of personal questions. But she said the homestudy was actually fun. I know it's all a process but I feel like we're on our way somehow.