Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #31
beccak
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 36
My Mood:
Re: When does the weightloss kick in?

I don't lose much until I wean. I think only a few really drop after baby.

Advertisement

beccak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #32
mariamommy's Avatar
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDaffodil View Post
So one of the many reasons I chose to breastfeed was the added bonus of the weightloss, but I'm almost 5 months out and I haven't shed a pound since the day after DS was born. Instead I'm ravishing all the time and constantly hungry and thirsty. Am I just one of the un-lucky ones who never losses weight? I also pump 1x extra day to donate to a little girl at church, and this hasn't helped with anything either.
Breastfeeding only burns an extra 500 cal/day or so. If you are ravenously hungry (which is TOTALLY normal!) you are probably eating more than that and above your metabolic rate so no weight loss will occur. It's easy to eat a lot of calories if eating lots of snacks and extra helpings at mealtimes.

Some weight loss for me occurred in the first few weeks....mostly water weight from not being pregnant anymore.

My baby is now almost 8 months old and eating some solids and nursing 4 or so times a day. I just decided to start really lose some baby weight and recorded my calories on my fitness pal. I am eating 1900 cal/day and in a month I lost 13 lbs.

I find it way too hard those first 6-7 months to try lose weight because I am too hungry to restrict calories.
__________________
Maria, wife to David and stay-at-home-mama to four children.

Last edited by mariamommy; 02-04-2013 at 10:43 AM.
mariamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #33
keonli's Avatar
keonli
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Real city, Family Guy state
Posts: 15,863
My Mood:
Re: When does the weightloss kick in?

My baby is almost 2 months old. I finally lost one pound. Woot woot. LOL
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #34
1healthylady's Avatar
1healthylady
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cross Creeker
Posts: 740
Re: When does the weightloss kick in?

I don't think BFing alone can shed the pounds. You have to have a little part in it too. DD is EBF'd (with pumped milk at daycare) and at 5 months PP I'm just 3 lbs away from my pre-preg weight. By no means have I been dieting, but I have been paying attention to what I eat. I don't eat ice cream or cake day after day, but I do indulge occasionally. I try not to eat too much 'white' pasta (but brown rice is fair game) And I drink a TON of water. No sodas, sweet teas or juices for me. I've never really drank my calories anyway. I had plateaued at 6lbs from my pre-preg weight for a while, but I started running again 6 weeks ago and that has helped, if nothing else just to feel my muscles firing again. Just added sit-ups and push ups into the routine the other day because my clothes are still too tight around my middle. I can't afford to buy a whole new wardrobe for work, so it's cheaper for me to just get back in shape. And I'm ready to have my body back. DH has been super supportive, encouraging me to go out on my runs even when I don't feel like it. I think he's ready to have my body back too. lol.
__________________
Married the best husband ever May 2009 , Mama to E 9-2-12 9-2014
1healthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #35
kmadavis85's Avatar
kmadavis85
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 224
With DD1 I lost all my weight gain & then some by about 6 months postpartum with EBFing. Now with DD2 I'm 8 wks pp & haven't really lost much at all. But with my first one I was working & she was a spring baby so we could get out & it not be cold, versus now I'm home & there isn't much to do so we aren't as active. Finally starting to feel " normal" so I'm hoping to start exercising soon. And once it's nice out trips to the park & zoo are in my plans!
kmadavis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #36
songbird516's Avatar
songbird516
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,164
My Mood:
Re: When does the weightloss kick in?

It took about 4 months before I started losing weight. I only lost 14 pounds when he was born out of the 40, so that was really frustrating. And he gained 1 pound per week, so surely I should have lost more?!
But I would say stop worrying and eat to satisfaction and don't deprive yourself or overdo it on exercise. Your body is doing what it feels that it needs to to keep you and the baby healthy. Calories in/calories out is a theory that has been proven wrong over and over again. Hormones are much more important than calories in maintaining a HEALTHY weight. Which might be a different weight at this moment than you might like.

If you haven't already, limit your diet to unprocessed, real foods, no vegetable oils, and don't forget to include healthy fat from grass-fed dairy and seafood, which helps to regulate hormones. If you do this you will keep yourself healthy, which promotes a healthy weight, BFing or not.
180degreehealth.com is a blog that has really helped me to stop worrying so much about diet, trust my body, and go with the flow.
__________________
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk! www.beyondbirthsupport.com
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #37
songbird516's Avatar
songbird516
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,164
My Mood:
Re: When does the weightloss kick in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
My baby is almost 2 months old. I finally lost one pound. Woot woot. LOL
lol! I felt the SAME way! But he's 10 months old now and I'm only 5 pounds away, so it's all good now And that's with not really exercising at all, and I've never been "slim" in my life. I weigh less now than I did in the 5 years before my daughter was born, obsessing about my weight and working driving myself crazy trying to lose 5 pounds.
__________________
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk! www.beyondbirthsupport.com
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #38
keonli's Avatar
keonli
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Real city, Family Guy state
Posts: 15,863
My Mood:
Re: When does the weightloss kick in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
lol! I felt the SAME way! But he's 10 months old now and I'm only 5 pounds away, so it's all good now And that's with not really exercising at all, and I've never been "slim" in my life. I weigh less now than I did in the 5 years before my daughter was born, obsessing about my weight and working driving myself crazy trying to lose 5 pounds.
See, I come from a long line of slim women. Big mouthed slim women. Guess what my sister got me the other day? Spanx. Full body Spanx "as a gift". Oh joy. Thanks a lot. And a relative who had her baby 3 weeks before me just told me how none of her clothes fit because she's losing weight so fast. Yeah, well, good for you.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #39
mamaspice's Avatar
mamaspice
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
It took about 4 months before I started losing weight. I only lost 14 pounds when he was born out of the 40, so that was really frustrating. And he gained 1 pound per week, so surely I should have lost more?!
But I would say stop worrying and eat to satisfaction and don't deprive yourself or overdo it on exercise. Your body is doing what it feels that it needs to to keep you and the baby healthy. Calories in/calories out is a theory that has been proven wrong over and over again. Hormones are much more important than calories in maintaining a HEALTHY weight. Which might be a different weight at this moment than you might like.

If you haven't already, limit your diet to unprocessed, real foods, no vegetable oils, and don't forget to include healthy fat from grass-fed dairy and seafood, which helps to regulate hormones. If you do this you will keep yourself healthy, which promotes a healthy weight, BFing or not.
180degreehealth.com is a blog that has really helped me to stop worrying so much about diet, trust my body, and go with the flow.
This X1000.

Another 180 fan here
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #40
gingerpeachee's Avatar
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,915
Re: When does the weightloss kick in?

I don't loose any weight until the baby weans. If I try to restrict calories at all my supply tanks. It just the way it goes for me.
__________________
Mae- Mama to Gustavo 10/07, Joey 12/10 and Henry 5/13
“No matter how big the lie; repeat it often enough and the masses will regard it as the truth.” ― John F. Kennedy
gingerpeachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.