Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

clothing allowance?

Hi guys!
Specifically looking for the thrifty family take on this issue. Thanks!

My SD just turned 14. She moved in with us 2 years ago. Grandparents on her mom's side are wealthy and have "helped" her mom her whole life. Mom works in the family business sometimes and so does my SD occasionally, but that is out of state. For the 2 previous years we gave her a large allotment for her to spend on her wardrobe. In addition to that we bought some staples. Some underwear, non-brand jeans, basic tshirts and sweaters. Partially we were trying to ease her transition to a new house, new state, new school (where most of the kids are well off). We aren't struggling, but we don't have a lot of extra money either.

Well, my SD is spoiled, lazy, shallow, and a slob. She is completely ungrateful for anything she is given and has high expectations for what she is owed. This is beyond the typical teen attitude. Given this information, what do you think is fair to spend for her clothing yearly/6months/whatever. I don't expect her clothing size to really change much. But maybe I'm wrong about that?

We need to discuss with her in the next month or so because she is going to start asking for $ for new summer clothes, and then for back to school clothes. We live where winter temps are rarely below 40.

Thanks for any comments/advice.

Advertisement

neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

I give my teens a yearly budget of $300 at first I split it up spring/fall as they got older I gave it to them all at once and make then budget. If they budget poorly then so sad. I do require certain items to be bought like underthings and shoes
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: clothing allowance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
I give my teens a yearly budget of $300 at first I split it up spring/fall as they got older I gave it to them all at once and make then budget. If they budget poorly then so sad. I do require certain items to be bought like underthings and shoes
Love this idea
Old 01-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

So the 300 included basics? That's actually the amount we gave her before, but not including the basics. She did learn some after spending everything at once the first year, but she still is terrible about managing her $.

She gets a lot of cash for birthday/xmas. No matter how many times she says she's going to save for X, she just seems to be incapable of it. Just keeps not learning the lesson over and over (no, we don't bail her out of that one).

We also end up with stuff like: I need black pants for the band recital in 2 days If her allotment is gone, then what?

I'm honestly so fed up with her that I want to be the evil step-mom and say this year you get 2 jeans, 2 pants, 2 shirts, 2 sweaters. That's it! But I won't.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Rockinmama24
Registered Users

My Mood:
I buy spring/summer & fall/winter clothes for my teenage dd's with a $300 budget each & then fill in year round as needed. We live in a well off area.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmama24 View Post
I buy spring/summer & fall/winter clothes for my teenage dd's with a $300 budget each & then fill in year round as needed. We live in a well off area.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
$300 each daughter, twice a year? Just wanting to clarify. How much input do you have into how the $ gets spent? Honestly, I wish we could've moved to a less well off area, but it was a condition of her moving in with us (better schools theoretically).
Old 01-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

My mom bought my socks, undies and basic bras but other than that it was up to me aftr age 16, I worked. I plan to do the same but also buy some basics like jeans and outerwear and shoes. the trendy stuff will be out of their own pocket/allowance
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

I think you need to do more than just give her the money and tell her it's for clothes. Sit down with her and plan the shopping. Ask her what she might need for activities, like band. What will she need for summer? For winter? Shop without buying anything and just get prices at various stores. Take notes. Work with her to develop a spending plan.

As for just saving money, how about an incentive. You can match a certain amount if she saves money for whatever goal she has.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dh and I plan on doing it a little different. Starting at around 8/9...they will get a large weekly allowance (about $20). A that point we will stop buying extras, yes, they will get the basics but that is it. If they want something, they can use their own money.

We will give them 1 week + 2 days of clothing...each will get the same amount...2 times a year since we have distinct seasons

So looking at midline prices (I am thinking old navy here) they will get the amount that totals:

9 pairs of pants/shorts depending on the season
9 shirts/sweaters/hoodies
12 pairs of sock
12 pairs of underwear
2-3 athletic items
9 pairs of pajamas
1 dressy outfit
1 pair dressy shoes
1 winter coat/gloves Ect
1 spring jacket
1 pair gym shoes
1 pair boots
1 sandals
Ect

So let's say I give them $300 twice a year. We will spend a few days making sure they have the basics. BUT they will only have that $300 in my money. If they want Abercrombie instead, they have to come up with the difference.

If they have an emergency and need new pants fr school and do not have money, or wait until the last minute....it will come out of next weeks before they get it...plus interest.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonalee View Post
So the 300 included basics? That's actually the amount we gave her before, but not including the basics. She did learn some after spending everything at once the first year, but she still is terrible about managing her $.

She gets a lot of cash for birthday/xmas. No matter how many times she says she's going to save for X, she just seems to be incapable of it. Just keeps not learning the lesson over and over (no, we don't bail her out of that one).

We also end up with stuff like: I need black pants for the band recital in 2 days If her allotment is gone, then what?

I'm honestly so fed up with her that I want to be the evil step-mom and say this year you get 2 jeans, 2 pants, 2 shirts, 2 sweaters. That's it! But I won't.
yes. Shoes socks undies. Accessories. They have all been taught how to find deals and coupons. It's their choice if they do that .
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote