Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Cheap gluten free snacks

We found out we have gluten sensitivities, so our normal snack of crackers, cheese, and fruit is out. My kids are still young, so things like nuts are out. What are your favorite gluten free snacks?

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
kelly679
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cheap gluten free snacks

Dried fruit, Lara bars, jerky,
kelly679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
1busyb
Registered Users

You can do a lot with Chex cereal. I recently discovered that Safeway's store brand (Rice Pockets) is gf, which is a big relief. For healthy snacks I eat fruits, veggies and hummus, hard boiled eggs, cheese, etc. Just try to keep it simple. You can also do rice cakes or corn tortillas in place of crackers.
1busyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Popcorn, chex cereal (Rice and corn), veggies like celery or carrot sticks. Potato sticks, Lays Chips and tortilla chips. (Nachos) Cheese and fruit do not contain gluten (They should be fine... unless there is another reason not to eat them?).

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Popcorn. You can buy the kernels and pop it yourself in a paper lunch bag in the microwave.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

As far as packaged things go, these are one of the better priced: http://www.vitacost.com/ener-g-wylde...ls-gluten-free

Crunchmaster crackers from the same site are also reasonable Their varieties that contain whey powdering are particularly yummy, but I proved to need to be off cow's milk too.

Carrots and hummus may take care of the crunch/salt craving too. I can rarely get to a Walmart (which has the gluten free and preservative free Sabra brand for a good price), but every once in a while the sales are good at Kroger. And sometimes I make my own, although it's not nearly as good.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

There are a several gluten free crackers that are quite tasty. We like the Blue Diamond nut thins, ourselves. Specifically the chedder almond ones (no actual almonds, just made with almond flour).

Cheese, fruit, and veggies are all great things to stick with.

Depending on how strict you are wanting/needing to be, we really like tortilla chips with some shredded cheese melted on top or some salsa.

Popcorn is also a huge hit in our house. We like it popped on the stove in coconut oil and then sprinkled with a bit of sea salt.

PP mentioned Chex -- there are several cereals that are gluten free. You could make rice crispies treats, as Rice Krispies are gluten free.

French fries. Either make your own, or get some Ore Ida, as they are gluten free. Not positive all of the varieties are, but I know several of them are.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly679 View Post
Dried fruit, Lara bars, jerky,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymama View Post
Popcorn. You can buy the kernels and pop it yourself in a paper lunch bag in the microwave.
Yes to both of these!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
Carrots and hummus may take care of the crunch/salt craving too.
Also great, making your own can be really easy, you just have to find a recipe you really like!

We do lots of fresh fruit and veggies, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, smoothies... We also get plain rice, corn, and millet puffs and tortilla chips (to go with refried beans, hummus, black bean salsa, etc). You can also get big bags of multigrain chips at costco that are GF that make good cracker substitutes.

I know you said your kids are too young for nuts and seeds, but it's worth a try. Mine are 18m and almost 4, they love them. You should see them tear through a bowl of nuts! Also if you buy the raw ones they are better for you and much much softer (and therefore easier for little to chew).
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #9
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia
Popcorn, chex cereal (Rice and corn), veggies like celery or carrot sticks. Potato sticks, Lays Chips and tortilla chips. (Nachos) Cheese and fruit do not contain gluten (They should be fine... unless there is another reason not to eat them?).
My kids just aren't happy with just cheese and fruit. They love crackers, I think it's the crunch they like.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgkcb13

Yes to both of these!

Also great, making your own can be really easy, you just have to find a recipe you really like!

We do lots of fresh fruit and veggies, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, smoothies... We also get plain rice, corn, and millet puffs and tortilla chips (to go with refried beans, hummus, black bean salsa, etc). You can also get big bags of multigrain chips at costco that are GF that make good cracker substitutes.

I know you said your kids are too young for nuts and seeds, but it's worth a try. Mine are 18m and almost 4, they love them. You should see them tear through a bowl of nuts! Also if you buy the raw ones they are better for you and much much softer (and therefore easier for little to chew).
My older kids love nuts, but my almost two year old has a really hard time with them, and my almost three year old wont swallow them. DD1 did the same when she was 3-4 years. I'm thinking sunflower seeds would be a hit, though. Oh, we also have peanut allergies in the house, but can do almonds. I already get those for the older kids, DH, and me.

Thanks for all the ideas so far! I definitely want to have a couple "easy" snacks, I think that will be the only way DH will stick to it (with five kids, he's not big on much work going into snacks, and if I ever want a break, he has to help). The rest of the time I'm happy to make my own stuff.

Anybody have a good gf fruit bar recipe? My kids love Nutri-grain bars, so I'd like to find a replacement. Preferably a recipe that I can make in large batches and freeze, since I like to do all my food prep for the month over one weekend.