Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What is up with my lungs and what to do?

I got sick a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving, sort of got better, then got sick again. Both times an upper respiratory thing that resulted in a horrible cough. It seemed to last forever and I was pretty run down and feeling crappy for a while. What really bothered me was this weird pressure feeling in my lungs that I have never had before. Finally just before Christmas I started feeling normal again.

I still feel something in my chest though. I couch several times a day and sometimes a little junk comes up, it's very light yellow to clear. I feel the urge to cough almost all the time like there is just something sitting in there. Do I need an X-ray or something? I'm beginning go worry that I have lung cancer or something seriously wrong. Or is it normal for a cough to linger like this?

Advertisement

Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: What is up with my lungs and what to do?

I would definitely go get checked out.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you have asthma? I would get checked again by your dr. You could have inflammation from the infection and you might need some steroids (inhaled or oral) to clear the mucus and get back to your normal lung function.

ETA: no, this isn't normal ... way too long long, imo ... I had this happen once and I ended up getting very sick again because of the inflammation in my lung not being treated. Did you take antibiotics in Nov. or Dec.?

Last edited by Adamsmama; 01-28-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Adamsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Lyric
Registered Users
seller

I felt like that when I had pneumonia. I had awful pressure and a cough that never ended.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I never did antibiotics. I called my doctor just before Christmas and she wanted me to do an albuterol inhaler. I hate meds and I'm so sensitive and I didn't fill the rx. A friend IRL thinks I had pneumonia because I was sick for so long and sooo run down. But I never had a fever so I don't know.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

Abueterol is given to children and babies, so I wouldn't worry about taking it. I do think it sounds like an upper respiratory infection.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Albuterol is pretty safe ... I think you should just go in and the dr. can easily listen to see if there is congestion and they can do an xray if needed ... they can also do a lung function test (just breath into a tube) and see how your lungs are doing.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Belbaby3728
Banned

I'm actually going to doctor tomorrow as have had a cough much like you have described for 4.5 weeks now. Had the flu and was bad for a week then better by end of 2 weeks except for cough. Never had a cough linger like this has before.
Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
Jsweetheart1019
Registered Users

Battling the same thing myself since Christmas. A never ending cough that was so bad I was throwing up. I went to my doctor and got a zpac and she said to do nebulizer treatments. 2 weeks later I still had to cough and decided to go to my allergist she gave me presodone and an inhaler. Everyone in my house has been sick since Christmas it's terrible. And I hear everyone complaining about a never ending cough.
Jsweetheart1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
solobluedancer
Registered Users
seller
seller

Maybe walking pneumonia?