Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #21
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why do people hate cloth?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
I actually laughed out loud!
me too

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #22
mommyto3sweeties
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I dont get the crawling thing. I son wasn't a big crawler (he went to walking quickly) but he did it on the early side. He never looked impeded to me.

People have a lot of misinformation and put down things that they don't understand. My husband recently got an all electric car and he now follows forums and such concerning it. He was telling me last night that he can't believe the bad things people say about his really nice car. The amount of misinformation out there is crazy and people often are afraid of change and things they don't understand.
I think this is it, and I think it extends to all kinds of things besides cloth diapers. I wish people were more tolerant in general.
mommyto3sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #23
mothergooseofthree
Registered Users
seller

Sometimes it is simply misinformation or lack of knowledge. My MIL hated our cloth because she thought it was bulky. In truth, her generation thought sposies were the greatest thing because they didn't have to deal with cloth anymore. She said only poor people used cloth. So, by using cloth I think she considered it a slap to the face of her generation's parenting. She demanded that I provide sposies for my first cded baby on the rare occasion that I left him with her. I provided front aplix pockets, but she said she needed "easy diapers." I even told her to just stick poopies on the wetbag and I would deal with it. How is that not just as easy as sposies??? Dh finally told her that we did not buy sposies and that she would only be provided with cloth, but that it would be just as easy as a sposie.

Often, it is just like any other decision in life....if you do something different from others, for some reason they are offended. I got it when I used cloth, when I breastfed, when people hear about my diva cup, and when I started homeschooling. I hear it when I tell others that we don't own paper plates or that I don't eat things in a box. I think basically it boils down to the fact that people are accustomed to convenience, and when you go against the "norm" then they take it as you saying that their decisions are inferior.

dd 10yo
dd rescued, as her daddy says, 1/31/14. Read her birth story http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...8#post17225488
mothergooseofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #24
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

When I first got preggo, I was on my birth board on Babycenter and someone started a thread asking if anyone was planning to use cloth diapers. I seriously wondered why there was an Amish person using the computer, because I couldn't imagine why any "normal" person would want to do that. But I got intrigued and started looking into it, and realized that cloth diaper does not mean diaper pins and rubber pants. In most parts of the country (especially mine) cloth diapers are just not something people are used to.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #25
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothergooseofthree

Often, it is just like any other decision in life....if you do something different from others, for some reason they are offended. I got it when I used cloth, when I breastfed, when people hear about my diva cup, and when I started homeschooling. I hear it when I tell others that we don't own paper plates or that I don't eat things in a box. I think basically it boils down to the fact that people are accustomed to convenience, and when you go against the "norm" then they take it as you saying that their decisions are inferior.
This exactly. For some reason if you do things different you've called them a bad parent, and they have to prove to you, and themselves, that they made the "better" decision. Its all very sad and childish if you ask me.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #26
supermomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
cuz they ignant
Old 01-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #27
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
i think any thing that isnt mainstream in parenting gets looked down upon because its "taboo" or "weird"...
Quote:
This exactly. For some reason if you do things different you've called them a bad parent, and they have to prove to you, and themselves, that they made the "better" decision.
!!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #28
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph Ed
My MIL made the comment....'you have trouble keeping up with the laundry, how are you going to cloth diaper?' My mom never made any negative comments, but I could tell she was hesitant. She wanted me to register for disposables, lol! I've even had people offer to buy me disposables upon learning I'm cloth diapering when I say I started looking into it to be thrifty.

ETA: I asked my friends on FB (1,000 of them) who has cloth diapered before and only 1 of my friends in Cali does. I've posted things here and there about cloth and now I have Mamas asking me about it.
Funny. I think I'll post on my fb and see the reaction
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #29
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASahm View Post
Exactly what the title says. There was another thread I was reading where the persons family was blaming cloth for the lack of crawling? My mil did the same thing?! She also hates his amber necklace because she says that I can't control the amount if amber being absorbed into his skin?! So strange!

Anyway, so why do you think people hate cloth and blame it for all kinds of things? Are they just not used to it?
Uhhhmm... Seriously? Wow...
Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #30
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
Cuz we are so much lazier than we used to be, and can't fathom putting in the small amount of extra work to have a healthier babe/ earth.
yeah,that!
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote