Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

4-year-old -- Sensory issues? DD won't wear cold weather clothes!

We live in southern CA where the weather has been pretty nice all fall. Nearly every day DD has been able to wear whatever she wants, which is usually a dress and sandals. Sometimes she'll wear leggings too. But the weather is turning cooler, and she refuses to make the adjustments in her wardrobe. She insists on wearing sandals, saying that her shoes and socks bother her feet. The only pants she will wear are leggings (which isn't a huge deal really). And she won't wear a jacket or sweatshirt because of how her shirt bunches under it by her armpits.

How do I know if she's just being stubborn, or if there is actually a sensory issue here that should be addressed? Any tips for making this easier? I don't know what to do about the shoes and jackets mostly. I bought her some ugg-type boots and she doesn't like the furry inside. So maybe rainboots? She has two pairs of tennis shoes that I'm sure aren't too small for her but she simply won't wear them.

I'd love some advice on how to transition into cold weather clothes. I know it doesn't get freezing here, but I'm not sure I can just let her run around in capris and tank tops and sandals all winter!

Advertisement

CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 4-year-old -- Sensory issues? DD won't wear cold weather clothes!

Does she seem to have other sensory issues? My kids see to and are fussy about clothes and I do make them dress season appropriate but my dd will only wear certain kinds of pants and she used to want to wear dresses all the time so she had to wear shirts under them. I lived in Southern California for a while and it was never cold enough for me to need to wear warm clothes indoors and not even that often outside. If she needs a coat outside, pants and warmer shoes then she needs to wear them but there may be things that she finds more acceptable then others. It is sometimes hard to know when they are being fussy about fashion and when they really just can't tolerate the texture of something but none of my kids refused coats all together.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 11-29-2012 at 11:27 AM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it's *only* with that type of clothing then it's probably not sensory. I just think kids in general dont' like to wear a lot of clothing. I have a ds with sensory issues and another ds without, and neither like to wear bulky or winter weather clothing, and we live in MN.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sensory issues run along a spectrum too. Some are really mild. I would wait it out for the most part.n decide on certain things she can't do if she's not dressed appropriately. Try getting thin socks and turn them inside out so the seam doesn't rub. Try to find shoes that are very flexible, unless you can get her excited about any others. Of course you could always hide all her sandals one night
Old 11-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

My two boys have always struggled with transition from one season to the next. The little one doesn't like going from sandals to socks and runners and then, Heaven forbid we need boots! The middle one actually struggles to give up his gloves/mitts in the spring. Makes me nauseous looking at him on a warm spring day, bundled up.

I would not peg either of my boys as having sensory issues. They just need some support around these times. I do strongly encourage them to wear appropriate clothing and beyond that, I let them learn by being too cold/too hot.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It doesn't seem like something to worry about. I know lots of kids who don't like winter clothing, a 5yo I know says she "likes to be cold" and doesn't wear much and looks cold, but is happy. Another 4yo I know doesn't really like much on at all, and spends a majority of her time naked when at home. My DS also has trouble with the change of seasons (clothing-wise) and it takes him a while to be ok with wearing shoes as opposed to sandals. In the spring her freaks out about wearing shorts until he realizes that it's really hot to wear pants all the time. And it took me a good two months to feel like putting socks on every day once the weather changed. Change is hard for kids! Give her a little time and she'll realize that it's not very comfortable to be cold.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I guess I'm not really "worried" about sensory issues, just looking for ideas to help make the transition Last year DD wore rain boots most of the winter, so I ordered some for her to try. I can return them if she doesn't like them. At what point do I insist on a coat? Or should I just drop the subject and bring one along for when she begs for it because she's cold?
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Last year i went through this with my 3 y/o. He wouldnt wear pants and would just try to take them off in public!!! He over it now.

DD she 7 really does have sensory issues. She adhd/ocd and suspected bipolar. She will not wear jeans unless you make her and it a fight. AS soon as she home from school she rips them off and puts on a skirt/shorts. She doesnt like clothing touching her legs. She been like this since she was tiny and as she gotten older we been able to work with her more on it. She was in dance and quite after about 3 years bc she hated the tights on her legs. No tights no dance so we pulled her. I have learned to pick my battles. If you wont be out long then just let her wear what she wants and when outside a jacket is a must but can come right back off.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried taking her shopping with you? Maybe the novelty of choosing something herself would help.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't ever insist on a coat. I hate coats, and we aren't outside for extended periods of time. It is 27 here. She isn't going to freeze going from the car into a store. She has to take her coat to school, but I don't make her wear it.

As for winter clothes...I only require a long sleeve shirt. When DD was 2, 3, and 4, clothing was a screaming, crying match every day. A sweatshirt put her over the edge. I just decided to pick my battles, and clothes aren't one of them. She ran around the house in her bathing suit lots of days, and loved her gymnastics leotard. Anything with a waist band was evil! She only wore fleece pants and sweats/leggings.

Now, at almost 6, she LOVES sweatshirts and hats, and wears jeans every day. Kids are so weird!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 11-29-2012 at 05:22 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote