Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

veggie favorites?

I needs some ideas! We're meat and potatoes type people, trying to put 2 servings of veggies on the table each night and I'm burned out. I've rotated through all the usual frozen bagged combos and fresh combos I'd make and I need HELP!! I think the only thing we probably wouldn't eat is brussels. Do you have any favorite ways to serve them or healthy casserole type veggie dishes? Can't wait for summer... I long for summer veggies!

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: veggie favorites?

I eat them as a side dish: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roasted...7=Recipe%20Hub
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Too bad you can't wrap them in bacon. Bacon makes anything worth eating.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli
I love these...I add garlic though.

Roasted cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and sweet potatoes are also favorites here. Fresh is much better than frozen since they aren't soggy. I just add a bit of EVOO, garlic salt, chili powder, and pepper and pop them in the oven until they get a little crisp on the edges. The family eats them like candy!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Stroll through the produce section and try something new. Artichokes are yummy. Bok choi is fun to cook with. Cold cucumber salad is divine. Fresh salsa - I put diced zucchini in mine!
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Too bad you can't wrap them in bacon. Bacon makes anything worth eating.
Lol, isn't that the truth!?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you are having a Mexican food night, we love to make black bean and corn salsa.

Can of black beans rinsed and drained
9 oz of frozen corn, thawed
couple tomatoes
onion
cilantro
lime juice
garlic powder
S&P

It's so good!

Also, I love green beans (fresh or frozen) roasted in the oven with fresh chopped garlic.

Adding onion and pepper to potatoes and roasting all of it is really delicious.

Grilled veggies on skewers. Mushrooms, peppers, onions.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Keep them coming mamas, these are great! I look at this stuff, the problem is I have no idea what to DO with it to make it taste good, kwim? I have looked at the beans over and over and if it's not already sauced I'm like And you know... you would think CA being one of the largest agricultural distributors that we'd have decent produce right now but NO. I looked for artichokes last week, they were so dried out I couldn't fathom paying $4 each.

Kebobs... see I didn't think of that! Sweet potatoes, I've fallen in love with. I've never really eaten much of them other than the traditional dishes but I've been baking them and sprinkling with sea salt... Heaven! But I'm not sure if that's really better than eating a white potato. I know corn's considered a starch, what about others?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like them all, pretty much! I like trying out new things. It was funny when someone asked me what something was though and how to cook it and I had no idea. lol It was a yucca root and it was good!

You can actually make a lot of veggies into soups or prepare them just like you would mashed potatoes and they are quite tasty. I've been using coconut oil sometimes to skip on the butter and milk and LO's and I like them that way a lot. Also, I find most veggies taste great roasted (from fresh.) But I like using frozen veggies too.

I like to shred Romaine lettuce and cabbage; I find them easier to eat that way, or use them in place of bread/grains for wraps and such. I also found I much prefer eating celery when it's cut in small pieces and will use it as a base for a salad sometimes. As long as there is something like avocado in there, I find it quite filling. Homemade guacomole is yummy too and there are so many ways you can prepare it.

I tried using turnips to make "home fries" instead of potatoes and everyone liked them! I also tried them plain (raw) and liked them that way, too.

Spaghetti squash is a favourite here with LO's & I.

Sweet potatoes are definitely a favourite here. LO's and I like them plain. Butternut squash soup is a favourite (my husband likes it too) and I just tried making acorn squash soup as well as carrot ginger soup... all were hits with LO's & I. Everyone here likes sweet potato & black bean chili too and we also like green beans sauteed in olive oil/butter with a little bit of salt & pepper. Spinach quiche is another favourite here and I've also mixed spinach in quinoa and liked it that way too.

Hope this helps

Last edited by mel j; 01-31-2013 at 02:13 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had this last night and it was awesome!

http://www.kayotic.nl/blog/stuffed-zucchini