Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

debt collections help?

My coworker's wife just got served for an outstanding medical debt from when their son was born about a year & a half ago. He said:

im sure shes probably said all the wrong things
she's even sent them a couple hundred dollars
process server came to the house, $4200 + appropriate attorney's fees

Anyone have advice for them? I think I remember reading in the credit report thread about making sure they actually can prove they own the debt?

Thanks!

Advertisement

neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
AnimalCookies
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: debt collections help?

First of all, why was the debt not covered by insurance? Do they have insurance? If not... They could have most likely qualified for emergency Medicaid to cover the bill, depending what the expense related to. She should see a lawyer about this as well if trying to get retroactive Medicaid coverage is out of the question. If cost is also an issue, most states have legal aid and community action coalition groups that she can go to for some advocacy and advice. Tell her to try this before anything else, before even trying to deal with the debt collectors directly. Hope that helps. I Have worked in human services for a while and know some people who followed these steps.
AnimalCookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

adding
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalCookies View Post
First of all, why was the debt not covered by insurance? Do they have insurance? If not... They could have most likely qualified for emergency Medicaid to cover the bill, depending what the expense related to. She should see a lawyer about this as well if trying to get retroactive Medicaid coverage is out of the question. If cost is also an issue, most states have legal aid and community action coalition groups that she can go to for some advocacy and advice. Tell her to try this before anything else, before even trying to deal with the debt collectors directly. Hope that helps. I Have worked in human services for a while and know some people who followed these steps.

agree to this. u could setup repay plan with place as well if other stuff not work....

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 03-01-2013 at 10:03 AM.
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, they have insurance. This is the part that wasn't covered. They both work full time and wouldn't be eligible for any kind of assistance.
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
AnimalCookies
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So, they could check again with the insurance company to make sure that it wasn't covered because sometimes those companies make you really work for them to pay! But a repayment plan would probably be best if they aren't eligible to do anything else. They could also try to ask if any interest/penalties could be waived if they agree to a payment plan. These issues are always hard to navigate, especially if you don't fully know the circumstances.
AnimalCookies is online now   Reply With Quote