Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sweet Potato snack?

My daughter is a big fan of sweet potato. She asked if I could make sweet potato for her school snack, in fact. I'm blanking on this. I usually serve it hot with coconut oil, honey and cinnamon. Snack at school is like finger food and you bring in a jug of something to drink.

Is there a healthy way to fulfill her request? Any ideas at all would be really appreciated.

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
rebekka117
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sweet Potato snack?

i make them like french fries, peel and slice into sticks then toss with olive oil, garlic, salt pepper and a little cumin and roast on a single layer on a cookie sheet, flipping once until they're done. they're delish that way, and pretty good room temp - a little soggier but still tasty.
rebekka117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sweet potato chips. You could do them in the oven or the microwave: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make...crowave-166718

My MIL eats them plain and raw.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

2nd sweet potato chips. We love sweet potato fries but we don't like how they reheat. I have never tried this but it looks good http://www.health.com/health/recipe/...108569,00.html
dip http://www.health.com/health/recipe/...002220,00.html
Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

We do them in "coin" slices in the oven roasted with a touch of olive oil and sea salt. We also do beets and carrots like this. They get a pretty solid crunch but do not keep for a very long time. My husband just gave me a dehydrator for the holidays to try it that way as well, because my dogs are afraid of the oven. I will report back when I get around to it.

375 degrees, around 25 minutes. Sometimes we sprinkle a very, very light dusting of minced rosemary
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
danielle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar
We do them in "coin" slices in the oven roasted with a touch of olive oil and sea salt. We also do beets and carrots like this. They get a pretty solid crunch but do not keep for a very long time. My husband just gave me a dehydrator for the holidays to try it that way as well, because my dogs are afraid of the oven. I will report back when I get around to it.

375 degrees, around 25 minutes. Sometimes we sprinkle a very, very light dusting of minced rosemary
Do you mean an 1/8 inch or thicker? Do you use a convection oven?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner

Do you mean an 1/8 inch or thicker? Do you use a convection oven?
Around 1/8" thick. I don't enjoy them as much when they resemble potato chips so I prefer them not too thin.

I have a convection oven though I find the cook time is all over the board as ripeness and water content vary between veggies

You may want to do a guinea run. Someday I will try this with parsnip and rutabaga as well.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
danielle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar

Around 1/8" thick. I don't enjoy them as much when they resemble potato chips so I prefer them not too thin.

I have a convection oven though I find the cook time is all over the board as ripeness and water content vary between veggies

You may want to do a guinea run. Someday I will try this with parsnip and rutabaga as well.
I will do a trial. Gigi's snack isn't in February, so I know I have at least a few weeks. I'm hoping to get it so the coins have a bit of softness in the middle.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If they weren't opposed to something hot, you could cut potato into sections (2-3 depending on size) wrap in foil and "bake" in the crock pot, then serve on plates with forks and cinnamon butter. I know you said it's usually finger food but if parents are there doing it it could work. What about sweet potato cinnamon rolls, I know I saw a recipe somewhere for them.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post
I will do a trial. Gigi's snack isn't in February, so I know I have at least a few weeks. I'm hoping to get it so the coins have a bit of softness in the middle.
I am wondering if you put a dot of honey in the exact middle of each coin, if that would soften and sweeten each in the middle with a touch of crispness around the edges? I may have to try this too, with honey instead of OO