Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #61
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pregnancy After Loss (Feb 1-14)

im so happy to see more moms speaking up and requesting progesterone as my studies have show it to be the #1 issue for fertility issues. many dr's are not using it readily as the old info they had may have shown it wasnt effective. we now know (if you do the research) that its even effective in preterm labor now. its an amazing advancement and although I am all for natural, i am also for making sure a mom doesnt lose even 2 babies in a row.
because we have so many hormones in our food, its causing issues w our own natural hormones.

mama, if you have only slight nausea or at anytime any spotting, I would say go to 200mg a day of prometrium and DO NOT just stop it at 12 or 14 weeks. you MUST WEAN OFF slowly. over 2 weeks time is best.

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #62
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
im so happy to see more moms speaking up and requesting progesterone as my studies have show it to be the #1 issue for fertility issues. many dr's are not using it readily as the old info they had may have shown it wasnt effective. we now know (if you do the research) that its even effective in preterm labor now. its an amazing advancement and although I am all for natural, i am also for making sure a mom doesnt lose even 2 babies in a row.
because we have so many hormones in our food, its causing issues w our own natural hormones.
My doc actually had me taking it with this pregnancy. I had a miscarriage last May and was preggo again in early August. She just had me take it through the first trimester since it was an early loss. I don't know if it really helped but it sure eased my peace of mind
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:23 AM   #63
quicksilverNHS
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom

mama, if you have only slight nausea or at anytime any spotting, I would say go to 200mg a day of prometrium and DO NOT just stop it at 12 or 14 weeks. you MUST WEAN OFF slowly. over 2 weeks time is best.

Seriously... I was told in October that progesterone has no benefit! I have had 5 miscarriages and a micro preemie doing nothing, so I told him off and found a doc wiling to try SOMETHING---that little pessary (and later injections) has gotten me to 24.5 weeks. My 1DS is a miracle because only the scar tissue from cervical cancer held him in place. With all the others, progesterone can easily be the first and last issue.

And agreed on upping dosage---I did 200 to be safe and the weaned over 2-3 weeks and had no issues. Now I'm on injections for preterm labor now that baby is well established!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Marie CDing, BWing, ERFing, ExtBFing, Picture-Obsessed mama to Smidget (6/09) and 6 angels (6 weeks 9/07, 12 weeks 4/08, 4 weeks 9/10, 15 weeks 04/11, Deagan born alive at 23 weeks 10/11, and 9 weeks 2/12) and wife to AJ since 2005.

[***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40]
quicksilverNHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #64
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have taken progesterone with all of my pregnancies...except for one of my miscarriages. I've had 3 early losses...and 3 living children plus this little one in my womb.

A wonderful nurse told me with my first, when I was having spotting and low progesterone (from a blood draw) that progesterone wasn't like magic, but if it was a healthy baby, it would help support that little one until my placenta could take over. If it was a baby that was miscarrying because of other reasons (like something went wrong when the cells were multiplying), it wouldn't be able to prevent a miscarriage.

I don't know if that makes sense the way I worded it...but basically, I'm convinced that I will always miscarry in early pregnancy without progesterone....and that I may still miscarry with it, but if my babies are going to have a fighting chance, I need it!

I have always taken prometrium, 200mg a day, and weaned off of it around 12 weeks.

I'm a FIRM believer in progesterone supplements.

ETA: Welcome to the new mamas here...and

Also, Elena.....your tulips for Elliana are so beautiful and I'm happy for you that you had a nice day celebrating her life...how bittersweet that must have been.

Last edited by happymama1; 02-09-2013 at 06:27 AM.
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #65
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
many dr's are not using it readily as the old info they had may have shown it wasnt effective.

I had asked a dr about testing my progesterone levels after my first 3 miscarriages (dec 08, may 09, jul 09) and was told that that's never a problem and there's no need to test anything.
I "put myself" on vitex instead... and then conceived Levi.
I also had another 2 miscarriages after Levi, then started vitex again and conceived Elliana - now, obviously, that didn't "turn out" as planned... and really we have no idea how she survived as long as she did... but there's a plan in motion there that we can't see, I am sure of that.
Interestingly, I was taking nothing as we weren't ttc, when Hiccup came along. He really is a miracle rainbow baby!

Very interesting about the food + hormones - it does make sense, though I wouldn't put all the blame on that one factor, kwim? But it definitely makes a difference, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymama1 View Post
Also, Elena.....your tulips for Elliana are so beautiful and I'm happy for you that you had a nice day celebrating her life...how bittersweet that must have been.
Thank you, it was a bittersweet day, but it was a good day at the same time. Remembering her, making her cupcakes on her day even though she isn't here, heck, even the other normal day stuff - for brief times I can do something as her momma, and that feels good.

Pink tulips are "her" flowers. We had them in the house constantly in the months after she was born, and we had them on the table during her memorial service.
When we had the u/s and saw her with no heartbeat, we stayed in that room for a bit. Then we were taken to a counselling room so we could just sit and be together for as long as we needed - on the windowsill there was a vase of pink tulips. I remembering looking at them while crying, and feeling comforted somehow - by flowers, silly I know!
The day after she was born, MIL was praying and was lead to a passage in her bible that talked about God having plans, and when we plant a bulb in the ground we know a flower will come even though we can't see it happening underground - His plans are like that, we have to have faith and hope that something is happening under the ground, and we have to watch for the flower.
Tulips come back every year. The bulb stays underground all through the winter and then comes "back" to life in the spring and a flower emerges. They're the perfect flower reminder of those verses, to me.
Also, I've since read that tulips are the only flower that continue to grow after they are cut. After all of them die... tulips keep growing. Another reminder, to me, that even though Elli died and is gone, there is more to this - her memory, something, will grow from her death.
Hiccup, maybe?

Anyways, that's my sentimental take on pink tulips. They're pretty darn important to me now.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #66
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

That is a beautiful story about the Tulips Elena. So much meaning in a lovely pink flower.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #67
finleyjudemommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Elena~ that is an absolute beautiful reminder....thank you so much!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #68
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks mamas. I'm glad it didn't just come across as a crazy flower lady thing.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #69
newcdmommy29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers
thanks mamas. I'm glad it didn't just come across as a crazy flower lady thing.
Not crazy at all. It was beautiful.
newcdmommy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #70
fishingfor5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
Tori - and congrats. This sounds like the very thread where you belong, mama. It has been an absolute God-send for me at many points through this rainbow pregnancy. I hope we are able to do the same for you.
Thanks it is healing to be here if that makes sense.

Quote:

I am very new to all of this as I said it has never been a problem in my past. I have been chalking my problems up to breastfeeding and age. I am leary to take more as she did not give me but 30 pills with no refill. Also, some other worries I have are the fact that I am breastfeeding and how it affects dd, will it cause my body to not be able to miscarry in the event that my body "should"? (if that makes sense) I am also on low dose aspirin and not even sure I should be taking that but too scared to quit now. But I am also worried if it will affect dd through my milk. Not a lot of great info out there for Pregnant Breastfeeding on progesterone and low dose aspirin. Most sites give info for full dose aspirin. AND DD started running a high fever today so now I am worred even more about taking the baby aspirin on the rare chance it causes Reye's syndrome. Last night at about 3:00 am when I went to the bathroom there was a rust/pink smudge on tp. Nothing since then but the cramps (like menstrual cramps) have been strong. It reminds me of afterbirth pains when you BF a newborn. As you can see I am a mess and find it allmost Psychotic since this is my 10th pregnancy but will be 6th child. Sorry for rambling, really need to give this over and leave it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverNHS View Post

Seriously... I was told in October that progesterone has no benefit! I have had 5 miscarriages and a micro preemie doing nothing, so I told him off and found a doc wiling to try SOMETHING---that little pessary (and later injections) has gotten me to 24.5 weeks. My 1DS is a miracle because only the scar tissue from cervical cancer held him in place. With all the others, progesterone can easily be the first and last issue.

And agreed on upping dosage---I did 200 to be safe and the weaned over 2-3 weeks and had no issues. Now I'm on injections for preterm labor now that baby is well established!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I wish she would have at least tested my Progesterone levels before the RX. Now I won't know if I needed it or not and I have no idea when to stop! GAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymama1 View Post
I have taken progesterone with all of my pregnancies...except for one of my miscarriages. I've had 3 early losses...and 3 living children plus this little one in my womb.

A wonderful nurse told me with my first, when I was having spotting and low progesterone (from a blood draw) that progesterone wasn't like magic, but if it was a healthy baby, it would help support that little one until my placenta could take over. If it was a baby that was miscarrying because of other reasons (like something went wrong when the cells were multiplying), it wouldn't be able to prevent a miscarriage.

I don't know if that makes sense the way I worded it...but basically, I'm convinced that I will always miscarry in early pregnancy without progesterone....and that I may still miscarry with it, but if my babies are going to have a fighting chance, I need it!

I have always taken prometrium, 200mg a day, and weaned off of it around 12 weeks.

I'm a FIRM believer in progesterone supplements.

ETA: Welcome to the new mamas here...and

Did your doc tell you to wean at 12 weeks or did you make the decision?

Elena - I completely agree with the others about your flowers. How absolutely beautiful. My dh bought me a charm bracelet with each birth month of all my babies- living and in heaven. I love it.

Sorry for the long post ladies. I hope you don't regret having me!
Blessings from -Tori (42)wife to the amazing Dan(41) for 21yrs. Mom to the Fab 5, DS22, DS18, DS12, DD10, and DD2 Homeschooling, BFing, new to CDing, Not so good at Vaxing, SAHM 5 ^0^ resting with the Father till we meet again Joyfully snuggling our newest son born February 9 2014.
fishingfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote