Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #21
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Late Talker Success Stories?

My son was a late talker, probably not until 3 did he really start to say much, he's almost 10 now and talks all the time. He has always been delayed and finally got dx'ed w/adhd (it runs in the family).

He never needed speech therapy.

My dd now 24mos is also a late talker, she can say no, yeah, bye, momma, dada, and her own version of a few other words like "bo" for balloon and "do" for Dora, pup, makes animal sounds, but that's about it.

I really hope she doesnt have adhd too, I do see she is different than my son so that gives me hope.

~Amber, sahm to Caden 02/17/03, and Baby Georgia 1/30/11!
"I'll just have to save him. Because, after all, a person's a person no matter how small." His Body His Choice, Say NO to circumcision! ISO:xbox360 monster jam path of destruction

Last edited by wonton; 02-02-2013 at 08:45 PM.
wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #22
Registered Users

My oldest, 17 now, was a late talker. She only had about 5 words at 18 months, and didn't really start talking until sometime after she turned 2. She did have about a year of speech in school, around 4th grade. Now, she's a junior in high school, she's in 2 honors classes right now, has already taken one AP class and passed the AP test with a 4, taken 2 others honors classes, and is also in her 4th year of Japanese, planning to take the AP Japanese class next year. Though, to be honest, I think she might even speak Japanese better than she speaks English lol. I don't know though since I don't speak Japanese.

My 4 yr old was also a late talker, She didn't say her first word until shortly after 18 months. As few as 9 months ago, I would have told you I was VERY concerned about her ability to be ready for Kindergarten, she won't go this Fall, but next fall. And I am totally confident that she will be ready. Although she still has some catching up to do, most people can understand most things that she says. She gets a lot of concepts that she can't articulate.

My 2 yr old is only a month older than yours OP. She has NO words. At least nothing that I would say that anyone but me could understand, and not with any kind of consistancy. She sometimes says "gog" when the dog barks. That's about it. She's just had her evaluation with EI, I have to call the coordinator back to set up her first appointment. But, given the track record of my other two, I am not worried.
Kim-married to Dan
Mama to Caiti (17), Rae Rae (4), Dani Lee(2), and CJ, born 10/12/12.
Stuff From Kim's Kloset That Special Moment Photography Also come check out Swagbucks with me!
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #23
Registered Users
My Mood:

My oldest two were late talkers and I thought my youngest would be too but she did end up pretty average in her language skills. My oldest had a handful of words until right after her 2nd birthday when she had a language explosion and was speaking in sentences shortly after that. She is now 6 and has no cognitive delays and speaks fine for her age although she is shy. My 4 year old ds had enough of speech delay to qualify for EI. He is 4 now and his vocabulary and sentence structure is fine but he is in speech again for articulation but that was the only issue they found. He started speaking a little before 2.5 and once he began you could see it was the sounds he was struggling with. He is developmentally on track and picks up on things really well.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote