Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Feb. Farm/Homesteading Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
Oh, you will LOVE the serger more and more! My first project was mama cloth and that was a little rough... learning to use it while serging curves! Not recommended. I used it on 4 skirts/dresses since and it's so nice to have finished looking seams on the inside! I'm cutting out fabric for some pj pants and I picked that project this week just so I can use the serger...

Um, that is so awesome about your DH! And give a thank you to him from all of us citizens who his occupation helps! 4 years ago, I slide into a ditch on an icy road and 8 firemen pulled us out. I will always remember how kind and calming they were (of course, I was shaking and crying), "Take a deep breath ma'am. You're okay." sigh.

Oh, I hear you on the yelling. Sometimes the boys are so loud that is the only way they hear me, it seems like. I remember when I lost my voice due to a virus, how much more calming it was to make them hear me through a whisper. I need to get that book from the library.

AFM- FIL has cancer. And now MIL is in the hospital with another infection. They are doing another scan to see if it's just on her piece of hardware in her foot or if it's in the bone again... When it rains it pours. Luckily, my dh's oldest sister's husband is laid off (typical for winter-time) and he's been able to take FIL to see MIL and to his appts... which eases the burden off my DH (as he has been farming all alone for 3 months now and it's so time consuming with his factory job as well). DH checks on FIL (and MIL) twice a day. I've been making meals as well as DH's two non-crazy sisters. The sisters come on the weekends to help clean up after FIL, as I can't do that with 4 little ones in tow. I tell ya what... there are 3 out of 4 siblings that take care of FIL/MIL and do what they can. DH has a big brunt of it, but his sisters really do a lot too... It makes me sooo happy to have 4 kids who can spread out the burden of caring for DH and I when we are older. My parents aren't anywhere near needing help, but there are 7 of us kids, when the time comes. It makes me feel sad for the "one and onlies" who take on all of it. If we were only able to have 1, I would be saving as much as I can to go into a nice home because I think it's too much for 1 adult to do.

We are getting over the flu here. Baby Girl is the only one left with the virus so no church today. I disinfected everything, have done 12-13 loads of laundry in 3 days. It's been a disaster, but the kids have been in good spirits. That makes a WORLD of difference! DH and I also got it and I'm so thankful I'm the wife... while I had to take care of the kids, I did not have to go out and grind feed, transport hay, milk, shear, etc. Poor DH.

On Friday night, I'm hosting an Ag. Wives' meeting. This month's discussion is about Meat Chickens. I'm really excited! This is the first month and there will be 11-13 young farmwives.
I'm sorry about FIL, and with MIL in the hospital! That is hard, we'll keep them in our thoughts for sure. I'm glad dh's siblings are helping out too. It would be hard being an only child in that situation, I totally understand and don't think you said that bad. Thankfully, my sister and brother and I are all pretty tight. My mom needs occasional help, and it's great to be able to split it up somewhat. My brother lives farthest away, about 3 hours, but my sister and I are right here.
I'm glad y'all are on the mend. The flu really stinks.
The Ag Wive's meeting sounds awesome! I can't wait to hear about it!
How many layers and stuff did you put in your Mama cloth? I want to make some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
Hope you guys don't mind me joining, I posted in the chat a long time ago but now that I'm at my desk job 3 days a week I have time again
Just to intro myself-
I'm Denise, my DH is Brady, we live on our farm with DS, DSD, and a little girl coming in April. We farm 1,200 acres of soybeans and corn, and have several hundred hogs we farrow. I work as a school nurse. I just moved to the farm last summer, we just got married a month ago, I grew up in a huge city so this is a totally new way of life for me! We're getting chickens this spring, and although I'll have a newborn I'm hoping to have a much bigger garden. I want to grow a lot of tomatoes since spaghetti sauce and salsa are 2 of things we go through the most in our house! My DHs Gma does tons of freezer corn and gives it to us, I'd love to do pickles too, and am going to plant a couple apple tree's so in the future can make all sorts of apple goodies.

Oh and that commercial! The FFA advisor at my school sent it to me. So sweet and awesome for people to remember where their food comes from.
Hey Denise, welcome back! It sounds like you have a nice sized farm, and good support for learning some of the country stuff. My dh is a city boy, it's been fun though. I totally teared up with the commercial too.

AFM...I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to serge tonight . Today I finished T's fleece firefighter pants and a knitted warm manly cowl he can wear while doing chores. I need to finish the quilted placemats for my sister in law, but I can't find matching thread so I'm going to have to get some tomorrow when I stop by Joanne's (to get yarn for a sweet cowl and boot cuffs!).
We came home from K's swim lessons today (she did good and didn't cry too much today!) and one of our dogs had got out and ate an entire container of expensive dog treats, as well as another tupperware of dog treats that I was saving for A's dog classes. Grrrr....
Gotta run...kids are up and crawling around, demanding dinner

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #12
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
Hope you guys don't mind me joining, I posted in the chat a long time ago but now that I'm at my desk job 3 days a week I have time again
Just to intro myself-
I'm Denise, my DH is Brady, we live on our farm with DS, DSD, and a little girl coming in April. We farm 1,200 acres of soybeans and corn, and have several hundred hogs we farrow. I work as a school nurse. I just moved to the farm last summer, we just got married a month ago, I grew up in a huge city so this is a totally new way of life for me! We're getting chickens this spring, and although I'll have a newborn I'm hoping to have a much bigger garden. I want to grow a lot of tomatoes since spaghetti sauce and salsa are 2 of things we go through the most in our house! My DHs Gma does tons of freezer corn and gives it to us, I'd love to do pickles too, and am going to plant a couple apple tree's so in the future can make all sorts of apple goodies.

Oh and that commercial! The FFA advisor at my school sent it to me. So sweet and awesome for people to remember where their food comes from.
Hi Denise! Have you heard that quote about how "Behind every good farmer is a good woman who works in town." haha. It goes something like that! haha.

Are you so excited about the baby? April sounds like such a sweet month to have new life! Late March/April is when our ewes start lambing and it's so fun. And maybe Baby Girl will still be in the sleepy stage for the first 2 months so you'll have time to plant and weed in the day and then when she goes to bed in July/Aug. That's what I did when my 3rd son was born in May... Then I mostly weeded in the evening when Baby Girl was 8 months old. Now she'll be able to walk around outside this year so we'll see. I'll probably dig another dirt pit for all the kids to play again.

Missc and I are getting piglets this Spring and might ask for your/Dh's expertise!

Missc-Well, since DH says we are not having anymore babies, I used the bumgenius newborn inserts as my inside layer, microfleece for the backing, and a mix of microfleece or flannel for the top layer. Here is what they ended up looking like (remember first project... the serging leaves lots desired!):

You are brave to have dogs... There are two farm dogs down home (at inlaws). I think I'm just waiting until the youngest is 3 and potty-trained. Then I thought a sheepdog would be great.

Oh, fun news: DH is buying me carding tools next month! I rented a bunch of books about carding/spinning from the library and am going to try my hand. Our sheep are Corridale, which are supposed to be a good wool. So I'm going to have DH give me the shearings from the back and sides and give it a go in March. The price we get for our raw wool is horrible and so I thought maybe I could get TONS more if I do some work! I really don't have a desire to try dyeing yarn, but the carding and spinning appeals to me (maybe because it seems like once you learn it, it can be a zone-out time?). We won't be saving 140 sheeps' worth, but enough to keep me busy as I'm learning.
Hoping if I get good enough, I can sell it to some fancier yarn shops a few towns over or online.

Been learning to do a few more farm chores and thankful DH is willing to teach me. It feels so good to do some more work on the farm and when the weather turns better (it's so icy right now), the boys will be able to help me. This year, I'd like to take over feeding and watering the sheep morning And evening. It'd be great because it'd be 2 things off DH's day. Right now I'm just learning to do the evening (DH gives specific instructions and I strap kids in van seats and park by the barns and turn on a dvd and go at it). It doesn't take too long and they don't mind it (maybe because I give them Vit. C suckers after?). haha.

Time to start the day. Have a great one ladies!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missc View Post
Hey Denise, welcome back! It sounds like you have a nice sized farm, and good support for learning some of the country stuff. My dh is a city boy, it's been fun though. I totally teared up with the commercial too.

AFM...I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to serge tonight . Today I finished T's fleece firefighter pants and a knitted warm manly cowl he can wear while doing chores. I need to finish the quilted placemats for my sister in law, but I can't find matching thread so I'm going to have to get some tomorrow when I stop by Joanne's (to get yarn for a sweet cowl and boot cuffs!).
We came home from K's swim lessons today (she did good and didn't cry too much today!) and one of our dogs had got out and ate an entire container of expensive dog treats, as well as another tupperware of dog treats that I was saving for A's dog classes. Grrrr....
Gotta run...kids are up and crawling around, demanding dinner
Thanks I my serger! I love boot cuffs, but I don't have any cute boots

Quote:
Hi Denise! Have you heard that quote about how "Behind every good farmer is a good woman who works in town." haha. It goes something like that! haha.

Are you so excited about the baby? April sounds like such a sweet month to have new life! Late March/April is when our ewes start lambing and it's so fun. And maybe Baby Girl will still be in the sleepy stage for the first 2 months so you'll have time to plant and weed in the day and then when she goes to bed in July/Aug. That's what I did when my 3rd son was born in May... Then I mostly weeded in the evening when Baby Girl was 8 months old. Now she'll be able to walk around outside this year so we'll see. I'll probably dig another dirt pit for all the kids to play again.

Missc and I are getting piglets this Spring and might ask for your/Dh's expertise!

Missc-Well, since DH says we are not having anymore babies, I used the bumgenius newborn inserts as my inside layer, microfleece for the backing, and a mix of microfleece or flannel for the top layer. Here is what they ended up looking like (remember first project... the serging leaves lots desired!):

You are brave to have dogs... There are two farm dogs down home (at inlaws). I think I'm just waiting until the youngest is 3 and potty-trained. Then I thought a sheepdog would be great.

Oh, fun news: DH is buying me carding tools next month! I rented a bunch of books about carding/spinning from the library and am going to try my hand. Our sheep are Corridale, which are supposed to be a good wool. So I'm going to have DH give me the shearings from the back and sides and give it a go in March. The price we get for our raw wool is horrible and so I thought maybe I could get TONS more if I do some work! I really don't have a desire to try dyeing yarn, but the carding and spinning appeals to me (maybe because it seems like once you learn it, it can be a zone-out time?). We won't be saving 140 sheeps' worth, but enough to keep me busy as I'm learning.
Hoping if I get good enough, I can sell it to some fancier yarn shops a few towns over or online.

Been learning to do a few more farm chores and thankful DH is willing to teach me. It feels so good to do some more work on the farm and when the weather turns better (it's so icy right now), the boys will be able to help me. This year, I'd like to take over feeding and watering the sheep morning And evening. It'd be great because it'd be 2 things off DH's day. Right now I'm just learning to do the evening (DH gives specific instructions and I strap kids in van seats and park by the barns and turn on a dvd and go at it). It doesn't take too long and they don't mind it (maybe because I give them Vit. C suckers after?). haha.

Time to start the day. Have a great one ladies!
Thanks, yes we are very excited! My DS was born in Dec so it was so cold, so I'm excited to have a LO thats easier to wear and we won't have to bundle up quite as much. I've done some bottle feeding on runt piglets, and I've helped out in the barns here and there but that's about it. I think it's funny, my Mom who also grew up in the city wants to come work in the barn with DH to learn more about it. Funny since the first time she came to visit and I had a runt running around the house she nearly died, now she wants to go help farrow the sows! We'll see how long she lasts Are you just getting pigs for meat? We actually don't have any that we butcher, we've talked about maybe next year, seems like it would make sense since we we have everything we need and plenty of extra space.
You guys are making me think I need to pull out my serger more! I've been looking at PP mama cloth but maybe I should just make some, and some nursing pads

Thats great that you can do more and take that work off your DHs shoulders, I wish there was more I could do somedays. Hopefully as time goes on I'll learn more and be able to help more
Old 02-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyana4969 View Post
So in total:
Green/wax beans
peas
beets?
tomatoes
salsa
pizza sauce
speghetti sauce
chili
stews (while the veggies are fresh!)
beans
refried beans
blueberry jam
applesauce
pie filling
honey?
Holy organization!! I totally have not thought this far ahead. GREAT thinking about this now though. We use a lot of tomato based items, so I would really love to just can about 120 Quarts of tomatoes, salsa and stewed tomatoes. Is there a way you figure out how many plants = how many quarts? I have canned jams and jellies before, but never anything else. We freeze so much but I have about 300 quarts and pints sitting empty and collecting dust in the barn, I should put them to good use! Plus with the artestian well we have, it makes sense to GROW food doesn't it? Hmmm... I need to think about what I can do to get my land ready now!

Quote:
Oh, I hear you on the yelling. Sometimes the boys are so loud that is the only way they hear me, it seems like. I remember when I lost my voice due to a virus, how much more calming it was to make them hear me through a whisper. I need to get that book from the library.

AFM- FIL has cancer. And now MIL is in the hospital with another infection.

On Friday night, I'm hosting an Ag. Wives' meeting. This month's discussion is about Meat Chickens. I'm really excited! This is the first month and there will be 11-13 young farmwives.
I have committed to less yelling and it's a work in progress. Glad to hear I'm not alone in this! I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL & FIL. The Ag Wives meeting sounds AWESOME! I want to start something that focuses on homesteading and self sufficiency on a small scale. Most people around here (since we live in a city), but I know so many of my friends try to do more themselves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missc View Post
K, I'll come back and reply more later, but the Paul Harvey Dodge Ram commercial, "God made a farmer", I LoVE it! Totally awesome! If you didn't see it, google it, it was pretty cool.
Oh I loved it. We don't have a TV (by choice) so I had to google it, thanks for sharing it. Totally made me tear up and go outside to love on my goats and chickens!!

Well, it's been an eventful week around here.. ya know those goats I got that the Mama was due in March? Well......

Mama welcomed a little doeling and a tiny buckling Saturday afternoon. She is awesome at mothering them and is so patient with us holding them as long as we don't go too far. They are doing great!! We haven't named them yet, that's on the agenda today.
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 AM   #15
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey all!
RCB - using the bumgenius inserts are ... genius! (sorry, I couldn't help myself ). Joannes has some flannel on sale and my mom has a coupon for an additional 20% off, so I think we're going to go on Friday. I've been looking for an excuse to get some of the flannel, I think that's it! I did make this scarf out of some that I had, serged, because I wanted to use the serger , but I accidently forgot to cut out 2 pieces of flannel and so it turned out 1/2 the length...I guess K now has a scarf!
And, I love that last dress you made for your dd! With the bias tape binding? So cute! (sorry, I'm a serious lurker of the craft thread!)
And that's awesome that dh is starting to teach you chores. I'll be honest, sometimes I don't want to get all bundled up to go outside, but I love it once I'm out there. We owned our property for 3 years before we built out here, and had to feed out here twice a day. My kids have logged many hours in the car while I did chores (right by us, with windows cracked or totally open when appropriate). I felt bad, but they learned the value of patience and chores!
I do love having the dogs...we do have too many - 2 LGD and 3 inside (arg), but 2 of our inside dogs are older - although they are both about 70# and fill up the house easily. Generally T takes 2 of the inside ones to work with him, although not now on Wednesdays that he works the early EMT shift.

Denise, my youngest was born in April. Due early, born late, lol. But, it was a fabulous month for a baby. Just getting warm (around here anyway), he LOVED (and still does!) being outside!

Macy, cute goats! Congratulations on the babes!

AFM...Baby J got me up this morning after T left for his EMT shift but before the other kids were up. Then, he went back to sleep. The sunrise was gorgeous, got the woodstove roaring, and I got some devotions in (some with the meek/quiet book), it was so nice! I love starting out the morning before the kids do, but it seems like once I'm up the kids start getting up. But, I think I just need to get over that. Gotta do chores, then start A's school for today, dog class tonight. I started a knitted hat for mil's birthday yesterday and got yarn for the boot cuffs and cowl. I'm looking forward to a great day at home! Hope you guys have one too!

Last edited by missc; 02-06-2013 at 06:13 AM.
missc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Introducing : Colette and Jensen. Our kids named them
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macyllehub View Post

Awesome! Your kids picked great names!
(from my kids, we have 2 cats named "Jumper" and "Jumper" and an LGD named "Rapunzel", lol.)

So we had some issues with school today. It started out really good, but then A had a FIT filling in the blanks of the dates on a calendar. She should have been able to do it, but instead of focusing on her paper, she was focusing on asking me to tell her the numbers. It was great . But anyway, we got through it (she literally ended up doing school all day, except for a nap) and Thank God I did devotions this morning! So at dinner A said the prayer, and she said "Dear God, thanks for this meal. Thanks for helping me do school today, thanks for helping me my work done so I wasn't still sitting here at midnight... Amen". I never mentioned anything about her doing school all night, or still doing it at midnight or anything. T and I were cracking up, couldn't hold it in!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:17 AM   #18
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

Um, just TOO cute! The kids look smaller than lambs are... about how tall are they? Your kids picked out great names!!! Last year, our bottlefed calf was "Baby Boy Calf" and one of our bottle lambs were "Thomas". All our meat chickens were "Thomas". My boys aren't too original.

I'm going to do some research on how many plants=about how many qts. It will be part of our topic at the next Ag.Wives' meeting (planning your garden, selling, canning, etc) so I'll be interested if some of my other farm mama friends have logged that. Last year, I wrote how many pts/qts certain recipes made; but not plant details for that. You should start one too for urban homesteaders (isn't that what it's called when you live in town and homestead?)! I just asked a few mamas if they would be interested in attending and discussing, then I asked them to ask a few of their friends who would be interested. So I asked 5 friends and they are each bringing 1-2 friends... there will be around 13 of us for the first meeting.

Unfortunately, my kids still have some remnants of last weeks' flu (bowel explosions) and so another mama offered to have it at her house because I was worried I couldn't disinfect the house after putting kids in bed and before the ladies arrive. So that is good. I'll host next one here though. Anyway, I packed up my teacups/tea things and will bring the food over to her house. The menu is: Cucumber Cream Cheese Sandwiches, Cheese Straws, Fruit, and Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting. Do you think I should add something chocolate in there? I want it to be a special evening to relax and chat and share ideas.

Missc- haha! Thanks about the dress. Yes, I got a bias tape maker for Christmas and it's nice, but you still have to fold and iron! Almost done with the ruffled diaper and I really, really HATE making ruffles, but it's looking so cute that I might have to break down and lose some more sanity and make a couple more... You need to join March's thread!!! It's so motivating and really fun. I'm posting a pic on there of the package I received as my prize for last month. That scarf is so cute! I love her blog.
Oh, I hear you on getting up before the kids! It's so nice! I was having the same problem with the kids waking up right after me (even if I woke up at 530), but we just made it a rule like 3 weeks ago, that they are not allowed to come down until I turn on the stairway light. So they play up there until the appointed time if they wake up too early.
What a cute prayer! I love hearing kids relate and talk to God. The other night, the older two boys asked how we hear God's voice because they don't hear it with their ears... Of course, I mentioned the Bible as God's letter to us, but when I tried to explain how our hearts can just know sometimes because the Holy Spirit guides it and all that, it flew way above their heads. Finally told them as they pray as they grow, they will understand what I said more.

Okay, today is the dentist for me. Then I'm hoping to do the evening chores. DH's oldest sister wants the boys one at a time to come down home to visit Dh's dad. MIL is still in hospital and had surgery... doing good, but iv antibiotics for another 6 weeks. Anyway, so I might be able to get some cleaning done with 1 or 2 of the kids gone for parts of the day! haha.

Anyone doing anything fun for Valentine's Day? Does anyone's DH go all out for it? I'm going out with gal friends the night before VDay to the Big City to celebrate our friend love for each other. DH and I have no plans though!

Last edited by raisingcropsandbabies; 02-07-2013 at 05:19 AM.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #19
hwlemon
Registered Users

K, just going to jump in...

DH and I live in an apartment but we're hoping to move into a rental home this summer and "micro-homestead."

I so admire you all for your close-to-earth living. I grow herbs in containers, forage when I can (loquat trees all over our complex here in Texas!), and try to put our grocery money to work at the local farmer's market.

We dream of a small acreage someday, possibly to share with my sister and her SO!
hwlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #20
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Oh my word they are adorable! Love the names!!!