Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #21
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Feb. Farm/Homesteading Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macyllehub View Post

Introducing : Colette and Jensen. Our kids named them
Awwwwww! I really miss our goats! ODD was allergic
I'll have to look that commercial up later, on my stationary bike with my kindle atm.

Looking like 1-2 get off snow headed out way and DH and I have to work. DH is going to do a24 hour shift and I'll plow thru the snow drifts with the truck and leave super early, I have 2 12 hour shift on Sat and Sun.

And on the work front, DH and I have decided that by August when we take our trip I need to go to per diem and fill in when need be. I went to my nurse manager and he was relieved because they're going to be going thru shift re arrangements and he needed to take me to a per diem status and didn't know how to tell "probably his best worker but last to be hired" that she's being cut from the regular schedule. So we were both removed that we want making life miserable for the other

Oh got the last of my selling supplies in and have egg plants that just sprouted!

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #22
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Amanda, how did you guys fare through the storm? Make it through all of your work? When do you plant your garden? Eggplants already! Would you post a picture of your setup? I'd love to see! I'm considering starting some things from seed this year, but am very nervous - I've never transferred them successfully.
Macy, how are your goat kids?
hi hwlemon, welcome! So you're going to have to enlighten me, what are Loquat trees? (yes, I'm a yankee ) Our good friends moved down to TX last year. They seem to like it. I'll admit, I'm totally jealous of all of the awesome barrel racing you guys have.
RCB - Ok, maybe stupid question, but with the bias tape do you fold the tape around the fabric and sew the front and back at the same time then? Or do you do like the binding on a quilt and sew one side, then the other? I've always wondered how to get it so perfect that I could sew both sides at once...the thought is very intimidating. I suppose the bias tape maker helps with that.
Thomas, I love it How was your ag wive's meeting? The menu sounded delish!! LOL about your boys...that's so cute. It's so hard to explain the "more complicated" stuff to them, but I'm sure more of it sank in then you think. A and I got on the topic of sin once while we were out feeding together and I asked her if she knows what sin is...she said, "Yes, like yelling, and hitting, and texting while driving" Oh my lands, that girl! I hope your kids feel better soon, and am glad that your MIL is hanging in there. Is your FIL doing ok?
ASM, I just got over mastitis, again. Arg, it wipes me out for 2-3 days and this is the second time I've had it (last time was in December). But I'm on the mend. I'm trying to keep it simple this week, and we are going to our really good friends' house for dinner on Valentine's day. I'm super excited, I think it will be a lot of fun. I have to study for a test for work that I'm taking next week wednesday, and maybe some crafting, and that's it. T won't look at or think about garage plans until my test is done, so I want to get this over with .
Talk to y'all soon!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #23
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I made it thru the storm fine. I was going to grab an unused bed at the ER or one of the sleep study department beds, but a friend from High School is a Nurse on ICU and got a hotel room and asked if I wanted to split so I did that, nice room too! And it was good to catch up!

Saturday was slooooowww, everyone wisely stayed home other than a couple of falls. Though I wasn't in the ER, the entire ER crew made it in (or stayed the night if they lived more than a couple miles away) and the ICU and Med/Serg crew called out like mad so I helped upstairs (and honestly was bored to tears! I kept asking for work and they acted like they couldn't survive without me there when my nurses wouldn't even have needed me with thier work load).
Yesterday was SERIOUSLY busy. I was so jazzed up still when I got home after a 13 hour shift and 2.5 hours driving there and back that I made a huge to do list for today cause I felt worn out but great. Well... this morning I feel like I ran a marathon across country and back this weekend (which I probably did). We had quite a few hypothermia cases yesterday. One died, my first death since starting. And there was a lot of falls and broken bones, and several heart attacks (people out getting rid of the snow breaking bones and over taxing themselves.)

As far as seedlings, I'll post pics in a little while after I put DH to bed (he had mid shift last nite and did a 24 hour shift during the storm)
Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 AM   #24
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by missc View Post
RCB - Ok, maybe stupid question, but with the bias tape do you fold the tape around the fabric and sew the front and back at the same time then? Or do you do like the binding on a quilt and sew one side, then the other? I've always wondered how to get it so perfect that I could sew both sides at once...the thought is very intimidating. I suppose the bias tape maker helps with that.
Thomas, I love it How was your ag wive's meeting? The menu sounded delish!! LOL about your boys...that's so cute. It's so hard to explain the "more complicated" stuff to them, but I'm sure more of it sank in then you think. A and I got on the topic of sin once while we were out feeding together and I asked her if she knows what sin is...she said, "Yes, like yelling, and hitting, and texting while driving" Oh my lands, that girl! I hope your kids feel better soon, and am glad that your MIL is hanging in there. Is your FIL doing ok?
ASM, I just got over mastitis, again. Arg, it wipes me out for 2-3 days and this is the second time I've had it (last time was in December). But I'm on the mend. I'm trying to keep it simple this week, and we are going to our really good friends' house for dinner on Valentine's day. I'm super excited, I think it will be a lot of fun. I have to study for a test for work that I'm taking next week wednesday, and maybe some crafting, and that's it. T won't look at or think about garage plans until my test is done, so I want to get this over with .
Talk to y'all soon!
Yes, you fold it over front and back and sew it at the same time. On already made bias tape, they make one edge a tiny bit longer and you put that edge in the back so you know you'll catch it when sewing the top. I go really slow with binding and so I don't typically miss the back... wish I were faster with it though. Last night I made my little pony dresses/capes with the binding... big pain in the butt.

The meeting was a BLAST! There were 12 of us, but I think in April the number will be around 20. We talked of a lot of things other than Meat Chickens as well and it lasted 2-1/2 hours with the last few trickling out by 3 hours. It was soooo great to share contacts/numbers, learn more about how others do their meat chickens/turkeys, and more. And it was so funny because we were all sitting around at a sweet tea party and talking of maggots for chicken feed! Next one (in April) the main topic will be hogs. There are two women who already raise them and 4 of us planning on it this year. The others want to at a later date so are still excited.

DH has been teaching me the very basics in shearing and I can not get over what a strong back you have to have! I come home and do back exercises to strengthen mine... Feeding in the evenings is going great. It's a bit warmer out so the boys have been helping me. "help" I have one fleece I need to learn how to clean in the bathtub.

Today the plan is to put the two little ones down for a nap at the same time and take the older boys with me and clean out the milk house. I was up quite a bit last night with them so I think they will sleep a long time and DH will be home sleeping as well (worked last night). Metalhead is on breathing treatments right now or wheezing... he hasn't had virus-induced asthma for a year so I don't know what is going on!!!!! Arg. I had him sleep with me half the night so I would wake up and give him another treatment at 2am and he is a horrid bed partner. I was glad I could throw him in his bed after that! Then Baby Girl woke up!

FIL and MIL are both home and the nurse comes in 2x a day. Captain Obvious has Aquatic Therapy this evening, so I should throw supper in the crockpot as it's shaping up to be a busy day. Need to get school done now. So rethinking this homeschooling business... it's so hard... it has to get easier as children learn to work independently, right???? Then I don't think my schedule would be any less busy if I sent the kids to school because I'd want to be involved in everything there too. I think I would become more busy. Sigh. Have you thought more about next year, Missc?

Amanda-So sorry to hear about the loss at work. And also that you and DH figured out what to do!!!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 AM   #25
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Talk to y'all soon!
Yes, you fold it over front and back and sew it at the same time. On already made bias tape, they make one edge a tiny bit longer and you put that edge in the back so you know you'll catch it when sewing the top. I go really slow with binding and so I don't typically miss the back... wish I were faster with it though. Last night I made my little pony dresses/capes with the binding... big pain in the butt.

The meeting was a BLAST! There were 12 of us, but I think in April the number will be around 20. We talked of a lot of things other than Meat Chickens as well and it lasted 2-1/2 hours with the last few trickling out by 3 hours. It was soooo great to share contacts/numbers, learn more about how others do their meat chickens/turkeys, and more. And it was so funny because we were all sitting around at a sweet tea party and talking of maggots for chicken feed! Next one (in April) the main topic will be hogs. There are two women who already raise them and 4 of us planning on it this year. The others want to at a later date so are still excited.

DH has been teaching me the very basics in shearing and I can not get over what a strong back you have to have! I come home and do back exercises to strengthen mine... Feeding in the evenings is going great. It's a bit warmer out so the boys have been helping me. "help" I have one fleece I need to learn how to clean in the bathtub.

Today the plan is to put the two little ones down for a nap at the same time and take the older boys with me and clean out the milk house. I was up quite a bit last night with them so I think they will sleep a long time and DH will be home sleeping as well (worked last night). Metalhead is on breathing treatments right now or wheezing... he hasn't had virus-induced asthma for a year so I don't know what is going on!!!!! Arg. I had him sleep with me half the night so I would wake up and give him another treatment at 2am and he is a horrid bed partner. I was glad I could throw him in his bed after that! Then Baby Girl woke up!

FIL and MIL are both home and the nurse comes in 2x a day. Captain Obvious has Aquatic Therapy this evening, so I should throw supper in the crockpot as it's shaping up to be a busy day. Need to get school done now. So rethinking this homeschooling business... it's so hard... it has to get easier as children learn to work independently, right???? Then I don't think my schedule would be any less busy if I sent the kids to school because I'd want to be involved in everything there too. I think I would become more busy. Sigh. Have you thought more about next year, Missc?

Amanda-So sorry to hear about the loss at work. And also that you and DH figured out what to do!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 AM   #26
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Talk to y'all soon!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #27
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

RCB: that sounds like a lot on your plate, I don't know how you do it all!

AFM: I'll be homeschooling in the fall, but it'll be pre-k, K, 3rd and 5th grades. I'm sure it'll be hard to teach four, but the curriculum here is so sub par compared to the rest of the country (not to mention the world!) that I can't handle it anymore. I'll be spending the summer getting them caught up to a normal grade level (they say ODD is gifted but they still have her doing basic multiplication in the advanced math group in 4th grade, according to the curriculum I'm buying, she should be doing long division at the beginning of 5th and she's sooo far from that now! Half thier reading list for next year I didn't even read till high school, my kids go to the same school I did, withthe exact same teachers).

ok so I have some pics of the seedlings. Mind you, I only plnated a few seeds so far. I need to clean off the rest of that shelf, get the window boxes back down and add the 3 flats that hold 72 seedlings each planted and up there, ok not all them yet, still waiting a few weeks before I plant the tomatoes, but need to get the anehim and jalepeno peppers started now that I have the seeds.

And... it's hard tot hink spring when you see this

Old 02-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #28
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

RCB - I think I get binding and bias tape mixed up...but it sounds doable, really, I think I just need to take the plunge. The my little pony dress/cape sounds super fun, I'll need to take a peek at it. My dd's love playing with their my little ponies right now.
The meeting sounds awesome! I'd love to find a group of "ag wives" around here. I'm so happy for you! I'm sure it seemed a bit odd, talking about maggots with tea, that always seems to happen with me (not necessarily maggots, but I used to work at vet hospitals and eat during surgeries. Not much grosses me out!, lol). Let me know what you glean from the "raising pigs" session.
The shearing sounds like a lot of work, but I can't wait until you can use the wool! That just sounds awesome to me, to be able to raise wool from sheep to clothes. T's aunt (who may be helping out on the farm some this summer) mentioned raising lamb, which I think I may be ok trying. I remember in Intro to Animal Ag in college though, trying to lay down a sheep and thinking that "they are so stupid!". Although, they were smarter than me because I never could lay one down! Oh, and I met a lady in dog class last week that has carding equipment and spins! She offered to teach me how to spin...I'm so tempted to take her up on it! I guess Marr Haven, which isn't far from me, only sells roving now, so I may try to get some and spin it. Anyway, I digress....
I hope the kids feel better soon, it's so hard to be woken up multiple times at night. I'm feeling better, and baby J is kind of ehhh right now with a stuffy nose. I want it to pass for him so bad!
I agree, the homeschooling at this age is difficult! I think the hardest for me is if I mention it's school or piano time, A immediately whines, "NO, not school!". Which isn't that she doesn't like schoolwork, it's that she just wants to play All. The. Time. But anyway, yes, the hand-holding is difficult, especially with the other, younger kids around. I feel like, at least for us, it's getting a little better? I think a big part of it is that in February I've tried to make it Valentine'sy and funish...have just been doing some "love" themed reading, writing and math, and then reading some sight books. This week we did some math, but the Horizons math builds a lot on itself, so some of the problems are getting "routine" for A now. She's reading enough to be able to read most of the target words for the problems, which is pretty cool, and then just needs cues to follow through. In response, A's been writing a TON (awesome) for Valentine's day cards, and even starting to pick up the sight word and other books on her own and pick her way through a page or 2. That, is so cool to see.
But no, I don't think I'll be less busy if A goes to school. I'm worried that she'll be so worn out that she won't be able to fully participate in the family stuff/fun stuff, you know? I'm sure I'm over-exaggerating, but she still takes 2h naps probably every other day! So we are planning on going to the 2 elementary schools that we would send her to probably late Feb, early March and then we'll make our final decision. I would love to continue homeschooling, but with me working 3 days a week (and sometimes more) I don't know if I could do 1st. Although I think I could...just is hard to fit in more than the basics.
So in my devos today I read a chapter of that Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet spirit book - and she talked so much on what you have mentioned today! About having a quiet spirit in the midst of busyness. Then she discussed fear of the kids waking up, lol, and how to have a quiet, mindful spirit with that...I have that so much. But anyway, just made me think of that.

Amanda - welcome to homeschooling! Are you excited? That'll be busy for you, I'm sure! But hopefully you can combine some of the subjects between the grades to lesson the load for you.
Thanks for the pictures, I'm trying to figure out if I want to put growing lights/ a plant setup in or not. And man, you guys got a lot of snow!

We went to the library today and I picked up a pig book - Storey's guide. I've heard it's decent. Oh - J just woke up and is not happy, gotta run!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #29
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Awesome! Your kids picked great names!
(from my kids, we have 2 cats named "Jumper" and "Jumper" and an LGD named "Rapunzel", lol.)

So we had some issues with school today. It started out really good, but then A had a FIT filling in the blanks of the dates on a calendar. She should have been able to do it, but instead of focusing on her paper, she was focusing on asking me to tell her the numbers. It was great . But anyway, we got through it (she literally ended up doing school all day, except for a nap) and Thank God I did devotions this morning! So at dinner A said the prayer, and she said "Dear God, thanks for this meal. Thanks for helping me do school today, thanks for helping me my work done so I wasn't still sitting here at midnight... Amen". I never mentioned anything about her doing school all night, or still doing it at midnight or anything. T and I were cracking up, couldn't hold it in!
I love the prayers children think of <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
Um, just TOO cute! The kids look smaller than lambs are... about how tall are they? Your kids picked out great names!!! Last year, our bottlefed calf was "Baby Boy Calf" and one of our bottle lambs were "Thomas". All our meat chickens were "Thomas". My boys aren't too original.
I said more.

Anyone doing anything fun for Valentine's Day? Does anyone's DH go all out for it? I'm going out with gal friends the night before VDay to the Big City to celebrate our friend love for each other. DH and I have no plans though!
Our goats are Nigerian Dwarf diary goats. They are about 1.5 lbs each at birth and growing quickly! Mama, their dam, is about 50#s full grown and sits at knee height at her shoulders. Per breed standards, does may not be higher than 17.5" at the shoulder and Bucks 22.5". Our other doe that is 10 months old is smaller for her age but they tend to grow until age 2.

Valentines Day will be fun at our homeschool coop. The kids have a party and exchange valentines day cards, etc. Hubs and I will probably ignore it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlemon View Post
K, just going to jump in...

DH and I live in an apartment but we're hoping to move into a rental home this summer and "micro-homestead."

I so admire you all for your close-to-earth living. I grow herbs in containers, forage when I can (loquat trees all over our complex here in Texas!), and try to put our grocery money to work at the local farmer's market.

We dream of a small acreage someday, possibly to share with my sister and her SO!
WELCOME!! As a renter myself, I understand this longing. Right now we live on 1 acre in city limits and have 26 chickens and 4 goats. We garden in the summer and plan to add rabbits to our homestead lot this year as well. But just a few years ago, we just gardened and had our house pets and with steady progress have moved to this lifestyle. Homesteading can be done anywhere with enough efforts and intent!

Quote:
Macy, how are your goat kids?
Talk to y'all soon!
Goats are great. They are spending the day in the sunshine now with their Mama. Our other doe, Thelma, doesn't care for them a bit and we are supervising her closely. These are the first kids she's seen as she is only 10 months old herself.

So sorry about the mastitis. I have had it several times myself and it is brutal!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyana4969 View Post
ok so I have some pics of the seedlings. Mind you, I only plnated a few seeds so far. I need to clean off the rest of that shelf, get the window boxes back down and add the 3 flats that hold 72 seedlings each planted and up there, ok not all them yet, still waiting a few weeks before I plant the tomatoes, but need to get the anehim and jalepeno peppers started now that I have the seeds.
Oh. My. Goodness!!! We have no snow here at all and I'm not even thinking seeds. Though it is about 45* outside today, clear skies and sunny, I haven't even thought about gardening yet. We usually start seeds inside too on a rack.
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #30
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only started those particular seeds because they take forever to fruit, and I'll be planting them in the green house in about april (I'll transplant them to peat pots in a couple weeks to give them more growing room) We get cold around the second week in september, ok we have warmer days then too but it can get super chilly at times and would kill any jalepenos, or other peppers on the plants pretty early in the fall. Last year we had an early, very deep frost that killed my covered peppers they had just started giving off lots of golf ball shaped bell peppers too (I bought seedlings at the local nursery even)

As far as home schooling, it seems daunting and not really something I want to do, but I am determined that they will have a good education. What's the point of having a gifted child that is held back because teachers don't want to skip her since she is already the youngest in her class. And DD#3 is her twin I swear. I'll also be adding in 'home economics' and teaching them to cook, sew, clean, farm/garden (might make that one science), Dh teach them how to run power tools and I'm giving DH an assignment on teaching them about aerodynamics/physics because he wants to launch rockets with them. I figure if he's going to blabber on about it anyway (like he always does when doing something 'fun') it should count for something. (Tonite it was showing the girls youtube vids of kids sending things into 'space' on weather balloons and explaining atmospheric pressure, wind currants/jet streams, atmosphere types, how to calculate miles from feet etc. just because he thought the vid was cool)