Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Craigslist WWYD

Other thing with craigslist - it's better if you meet them in a parking lot at a grocery store or some other public place for the transaction. I know that can be a problem if you have a big item you can't fit in your car. However, some thieves will scope out your home and then rob you later. With meeting somewhere public, they don't know your address - it's just safer for you.

Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #12
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Definitely! Cash only on pick up, otherwise ignore.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

"the advert" is a clear give away that this person is not local. All the scammers must be using the same translator site. Who says "advert"?

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't even respond to emails on Craigslist anymore, since 4 out of every 5 were people who wanted to send me a certified check or sell me penis enhancements. Phone or text only now.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #15
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeinstarrz
I don't even respond to emails on Craigslist anymore, since 4 out of every 5 were people who wanted to send me a certified check or sell me penis enhancements. Phone or text only now.
Really?? That is so weird. I CL all the time and in a major city, and literally almost never get a scam/spam email.

I don't ever list my number because people are so disrespectful about call times plus number phishing scams that just collect numbers.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #16
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Anything that says "God fearing" is a scam Who puts that anyway? The people who do these scams need to have some edit their English too.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone! I never responded and haven't heard from them since. Big surprise. LOL.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
"the advert" is a clear give away that this person is not local. All the scammers must be using the same translator site. Who says "advert"?
I do use the word "advert".
I'm not a scammer. But I do talk kind of strange. I've read too many books lol.
adjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #19
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
Really?? That is so weird. I CL all the time and in a major city, and literally almost never get a scam/spam email.

I don't ever list my number because people are so disrespectful about call times plus number phishing scams that just collect numbers.
I also find the emailers to be MUCH more flakey than the people who take the time to call. I am up at all hours so call times aren't a big deal to me...and I "code" my phone number like this 999 - 9 nine 9 - nine 9 nine 9 so the bots can't find it!

CL pretty much annoys the crud out of me though so I try to use it sparingly.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #20
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Red flag #1 - email oddities - different respond to email than the actual email address
Red flag #2 - they never mention what the item is
Red flag #3 - they want to send the money electronically or pay in a different way than cash.
Red flag #4 - They're supposedly out of towners
Red flag #5 - odd language, both the words themselves and grammatical clues that these are not native North Americans
Red flag #6 - demanding personal information, including city and state. I don't use CL much, but I'm pretty sure it's broken up by city, which makes this an odd request.
Red flag #7 - multiple identical emails from the different email addresses.

It's a scam. Run fast and run far. Delete and ignore. A couple of those in an email might not be bad, but all of the above in one is definitely a scam. Probably if you were to send information you'd get a check for a fair amount more than the price of the item. The person would apologize and then ask you to cash the check, and send them back the overage and in the meantime they'd make arrangements to pick up the item. No one would ever come for the item, you'd send the check and only afterwards the check that was sent to you would be returned as counterfeit, so you'd be out the amount of the check you sent back. it's a very well known scam. The biggest red flags are the not mentioning the item, and the wanting to deal via check and a third party. For safety, always deal in cash and face to face.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote