Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 01:58 AM   #11
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
Sorry you're so angry, but I think it's rude to insist that any law abiding citizen (or visitor) change their behavior in public simply because it doesn't suit you. Children need to learn to accept & tolerate others differences even when it makes them uncomfortable. I don't think that displaying to your children that you're angry that you were unable to control a stranger whose legal taste in music displeased you is probably the best idea, kwim?
Listening at that level is most likely against the law so I think she was well within her right to ask that it be turned down

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #12
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: this dude made me MAD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mommy View Post
Listening at that level is most likely against the law so I think she was well within her right to ask that it be turned down
You're right, that could have been the case. But she did comment that the ferry owner stated the man was within his rights. I do forget to acknowledge that others local laws are frequently different than mine.

Where I live it is only illegal to make too much noise on private property in residential neighborhoods after a certain time...I believe 10 pm on weekdays??? Actually, i dont think its illegal to make too much noise, just illegal to ignore law enforcements attempts requesting the noise level be lowered. There are no laws about noise generated from public areas or non residential private property. Otherwise, in my dreams, our NASCAR track would be shut down
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:10 AM   #13
MarieSeeking
Registered Users
seller

The volume would be more annoying to me than anything. The words, eh. I wouldn't have drawn attention to them.

Sorry you are mad :-(
MarieSeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #14
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Way to go momma!

We speak up when people are cursing. They normally pause and then stop when they realize kids are around...even teenagers do.

I think kids need to see parents stand up for them and protect them. I also believe that kids should see parents have a range of emotions.

You hubby asking you to get in the car meant that he saw danger...
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #15
EmmieSuesbabyboutique
Registered Users
Formerly: heyfire
seller
seller

My Mood:

OK, why can you get arrested for using cuse words in front of children, but you can play nasty music?

10% off for a limited time. http://www.lenabrowndesings.com for all your knitting and crochet needle cases
EmmieSuesbabyboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #16
angelisagemini
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm sorry OP. I'd have asked him to turn it down too. His freedom ends where yours begins. That man is pathetic. Who chooses knowingly exposing small children to vulgarity as the freedom hill to die on?
angelisagemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #17
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark
Sorry you're so angry, but I think it's rude to insist that any law abiding citizen (or visitor) change their behavior in public simply because it doesn't suit you. Children need to learn to accept & tolerate others differences even when it makes them uncomfortable. I don't think that displaying to your children that you're angry that you were unable to control a stranger whose legal taste in music displeased you is probably the best idea, kwim?
No. Children need to learn that the world does not revolve around them and that their actions affect others.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #18
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I'm sorry, that really sinks. Next time turn up some music for your kiddos and sing loudly. They'll enjoy it and tune the yucky stuff out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only
Dude, next time throw some 'bows. Team up with your husband and roll him. Show him who the REAL gangsta is, yo!
Awesome!!

Fwiw, the town I grew up in had a law about playing your music excessively loud in your car. I actually got a ticket for noise pollution when I was 17. I was listing to Unwritten Law waiting for my bff to get out I work (I was picking her up). Lame but true story. I would not however, play loud music with inappropriate lyrics around kids or at stop lights even at that age. My parents told me part of being a respectful driver is not subjecting others to your music.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #19
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Get a train horn that'll shut him up. A guy I know has one.

But anyway props to you for standing up to him. Some people need to just grow up. Any music even the ones I like are absolutely annoying being blared from any car at any time.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #20
Debtt
Registered Users

You don't want me to quote you, so...

I think the way you "asked" was rude. If you can get out of your car, or otherwise communicate with words and without yelling (which seems to have been the situation here) I think it is rude to gesture. I can entirely understand this guy having been irritated. I would have been too, though I probably would have rolled my eyes and turned it down anyway. But if you're asking somebody a favor, which it was, then you need to be as nice as possible about it. Chances are, I think, he would have responded more favorably. Most people do.

My personal approach would have been to get out of the car (which I guess you did anyway), go over to them with a big smile, say, "listen, I'm so sorry to ask, but would you mind turning down the music a little please? I'm got some little ones in the car, and I don't want them hearing this at their age. Thank you so much." Smile, be nice, apologize for asking, and thank them. The thanking them also assumes they will do it, which I think could put some psychological pressure on them in a way.

Which is not to say they would. But if nothing else, I don't think it would result in such hostility.

Last edited by Debtt; 02-02-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Debtt is offline   Reply With Quote