Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

subsidy for private adoption?

Does anyone know how we could go about finding out if it's possible to get a subsidy, specifically medical coverage in a private adoption? No one I have asked has known of the possibility so far. Because the baby did not go into state custody and is just a regular old adoption I know it is not usual to have a subsidy. But, is it possible? Because of her exposures I worry about what may be coming down the road. Now that we are getting into diagnoses/therapies for dd2 when she did not have any for the first four years. The baby does not have any delays, etc at this point but who knows what will come up later? I would feel a lot better about being able to access services for her should they be needed if she somehow could have medicaid as an adoption subsidy like dd2. Although we knew going in that it was a toss up. Without our proaction she would have been taken into state custody although still should have ended up here and then we would have gotten subsidy, etc. But, we would have had to go through that whole, well is she really staying deal. So we chose to go the private route to be guaranteed getting/keeping her rather than going through the uncertainty of state custody because we knew it would have been financially better.

Advertisement

sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'mno expert but I do not think you qualify for anything. It's the chance you take. Babies don't come with warranties. I think I've read on here some foster kids with needs have gotten them.. But they had needs before adoption- not 'might have them- someday. Once you adopt they are your child, physically, financially and emotionally.
Congrats on yr adoption!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #3
dalynn1997
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: subsidy for private adoption?

I don't know of any but I totally empathize. My AS has a lot going on and we are hoping to maybe get some benefits for his lil bro we are adopting just on case. He actually is being foster to adopt but will be finalized around age one which won't qualify him as SN. We are praying to keep Medicaid but there is no guarantee.

So we are in the same boat as you. It is scary bc adopting a child who risk of long term effects from exposure is do high. I do know that if your adopted child later is diagnosed as SN then you may qualify for a Medicaid waver or SSI. My niece has Down's syndrome and after a long waiting list she does now have supplemental Medicaid and they recieve some financial help not sure if from the state or federal. They make a very good living so this can't be based on financial need. I know the recieve enough to cover all her meds and the out of pocket part to her many weekly therapies.
Christian Wife to DH married 16 years. Forever mommy to my adopted son #9 C (3 yrs) Currently fostering #20 A our bonus buddy full sibling to my adopted son (16 mths). We have fostered 20 children so far, some with medical special needs. Still hoping for a forever girl.
dalynn1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

We automatically keep medical I believe no matter how old the kid is or his/her needs. I hope nb gets to keep his medical at least dalynn!
Old 02-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD2 they qualified as medical special needs even though she didn't have current issues based on a letter from her pediatrician detailing potential future issues. Gosh, Dalynn does your son have subsidy/medical? I think all foster children adopted should get them no matter what. It's not possible to be in the system and not be special needs imo...
sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can't even get subsidies here for kids adopted from foster care with exposure issues. I know two different people who adopted privately and tried to get help because their kids had current medical issues. One had an eye issue due to an STD. It involved many preventative visits and the adoptive couple didn't have vision insurance. They tried to get Medicaid and were shot down. Even a family that adopted a baby with Down syndrome was denied a subsidy and Medicaid just because it was a private adoption. So I wouldn't hold my breath. The potential for issues due to exposure is something that most foster kids have and in my state, means nothing.

Last edited by WynneBabies; 02-02-2013 at 03:26 PM.
WynneBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Double post

Last edited by WynneBabies; 02-02-2013 at 03:25 PM.
WynneBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How old is the child? In Indiana, a child under age 2 at adoption gets nothing unless designated special needs, and then your attorney and DCS's attorney negotiate the subsidy rate. A child over 2 may or may not get anything. We got Medicaid and $13 a day for DS, but the family adopting his older sister got nothing---not even Medicaid. She was a heroin baby and 4 years old at adoption through DCS. They were furious because their children are grown, so they each had single health insurance plans with their employers, and adopting her meant they had to go back on a family plan. They were kinship care, and DCS knew there was no way they would have given her up, so they offered the family nothing.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 02-04-2013 at 03:21 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
bsquared731
Registered Users

It is not possible unless the child had some type of open case with your state's foster system. Exposure to substances also does not automatically qualify in custody for subsidy. Unless there are several assessments detailing behaviors that need therapy, no subsidy.

-Foster care/adoptive social worker mama
bsquared731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
fostermommyJ
Registered Users

My son is classified as " potential" special needs because of his genetic history. Birth mom is mentally retarded. We do not get a subsidy for him but we do get Medicaid and because they listed him as " potential," if something comes up in the future, we can re-apply for subsidy.
fostermommyJ is offline   Reply With Quote