Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
august6
Registered Users

My Mood:
Monster Appetite and Craving Protein. I Need Help!

Im 12 weeks pregnant and haven't gotten to meet my Dr. yet. I don't know how my pregnancy is going or if its a healthy baby. My appetite is freaking me out, as well as my insane need for protein.

I have a 3 year old, so I know what pregnancy is like, but I'm concerned because my appetite has gone through the roof. If I don't eat every 2-3 hours on the spot, I will be sick all day. Not to mention, I feel like I'm starving all the time! I almost never get full.

Just the other day, in a four hour span, I ate an entire canteloupe, a Fiber One bar, a cheese stick, a bag of popcorn, and then I went out to dinner with my family. There, I ate a few bites of a blooming onion, a house salad, a 6 oz. steak, and a loaded baked potato.

I can easily eat a can of refried beans by myself, and I do almost everyday. On top of that I go through almost 4 gallons of milk a week (not counting what my DS and DH go through). Yesterday, I ate 6 eggs (Egg salad) immediately after cooking them. Just the thought of meat makes my mouth water!

Why in the world am I craving so much food, specifically protein? I'm at my "perfect" weight ratio, and I've never had a massive appetite. I'm showing like crazy, but I've only gained 8 lbs. That might sound like a lot but, keep in mind I'm 3 months pregnant, and that weight included Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Should I be worried that something is wrong with me? Like a lack of protein or something?

Advertisement

august6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Monkeymamaof2
Registered Users

My Mood:
I wouldn't worry it sounds like me 3wks ago all I had taste for was steak and ground beef. And it's all I ate plus I drank 1 1/2 gallons of milk a week (with chocolate syrup) and I never drink milk seriously I use to gag at the thought of drinking it. Oh and the other half of the one gallon went in my cereal that I ate every morning (I still eat cereal every morning too) I think it's just your body's way of saying you need more protein and vitamin A&D in your diet. It's completely normal, next week it will probably be fruits that's me this week I'm 13wks 2days btw

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I am a WOHM to JJ 10/3/06 and Jio 7/18/08 and a loving GF to Adam and #3 due in August
Monkeymamaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
august6
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Monster Appetite and Craving Protein. I Need Help!

Well, that makes me feel better. My Dr. has a side specialty in weight loss. I've never been to him before and I'm worried he's going to upset that I've gained 8 already.

My last OB had me come in asap and did an ultrasound on the spot, so I didn't have to worry about anything. I had an apt with this Dr., but all I got was some bloodwork -didn't even get to see what he looked like. It worried me.

I just hope my in-laws don't jinx me with twins!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In all honesty, cravings are a huge sign that your body is lacking something. Do you have any magnesium supplements or Mamma Calm?
mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've been starving too, 10 minutes after I eat I'm hungry again, and it's been for protein as well. I've been eating a lot of yogurt, cheese sticks, eggs, and milk, and I too drool over steaks For the most part my cravings are healthy so I'm eating what I want. I've actually lost weight though, so I don't know what's going on with me. I started using a calorie tracker to see what I'm eating and it's over 2k a day, which is a ton for me, so I guess I'm just burning a lot making a baby
Old 02-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

My appetite was biggest when preggo with twins, but it's certainly not a sure thing. I think I was hungrier and more tired after my 1st kid because I had to take care of a kid instead of focusing purely on me
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
august6
Registered Users

My Mood:
I rarely eve eat junk food, so I've always maintained a healthy wait. I try to eat as organically possible, but obviously some things can't be avoided.

As far as magnesium, no. I'm taking my prenatal vitamins, but that's it. I've never been a vegetarian so it's usual for me to eat meat, it's just strange for me to be eating in such large amounts.

I try and force myself to eat fruits and other stuff, but I'm always back in the kitchen 10 minutes later thinking about what else there is.

I just have never experienced such a hunger before. I feel like everyone thinks I'm just overloading, but I would love to get full!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I am 29 wks today with a normal healthy pregnancy. I had the same issue for the first 4 months of this pregnancy. I did not have it with DS1.

I had major carb cravings, and dairy too. I tried healthy stuff but it just wasn't cutting it. I did gain some extra weight but at the end of the day it's what got me through those early days. I just had to eat constantly or I was sick to my stomach.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 02-02-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
happy2beamom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can you send some of that vibe my way Seriously, if i smell meat i start getting sick. If i think of meat i turn green I am trying to do the Brewer's Diet because i had GD with DD and wanted to decrease my odds, but that ain't happenin'

I'm pretty sure it is a total food aversion. I'm waiting for the pukey feeling to go away (i'm 12 weeks 3 days), but it seems to be sticking around. I'm really surprised i've only lost 2 pounds.

Anyway, wondering if you had any 'tricks' to eat meat? Or do you just see it and go "YUMMY, GIVE ME"?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In my first trimester, I always said "I ate like a man". I literally ate almost double what my husband eate. It paseed though, and eventually I resumed "normal" portions.

Personally, I have always had the bphilosophy of following my bodies cues. If I'm hungry, I eat. But
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote