Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #41
babysniffles
Registered Users

Re: What is considered a larger family!?

For me personally, 5 kids seems like an 'average' size family, probably because I was brought up in a family of 5 kids. 4 kids is low average, and anything less is a small family. 6 kids is a large family, and 8+ is a super large family. I have 4 right now, the youngest less than 2 months old, and am still in the mindset of 'I can never do that again! But I really don't feel like we will be done until we have at least five, probably six. And maybe I'll surprise myself with 7 or 8.

Advertisement

babysniffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #42
MommyIshtar
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor's mom View Post
i think that most of society considers anything over 2 kids (unless you needed the 3rd to get the other gender ) to be large.
Ditto. I have three children, two boys and a baby girl. I don't feel we have a big family, and we didn't have our third just to get a girl, but I get those reactions a lot. People often think I'm crazy when I say I want more. Lol. I've learned to just smile and nod, or even laugh about it. No sense in letting it bother me. What do I care what other people think? Ya know?
MommyIshtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #43
Muninay
Registered Users

My Mood:

We started hearing comments of being a large family when we had 4 kids and since we had 3 boys first, then a girl, everyone would comment that since we got our girl that would be it, as if that was our objective. When #5 came along, we got more comments. At first it annoyed me but learned to play along. So when I was pregnant with my sixth, the usual conversation goes...

Is that your first?
No. This is my sixth.
Gasps! sixth?!! My you have a large family!
Yup.
So, you had normal deliveries?
C-section.
Hmmm (eyes getting bigger).How many were c-section?
All c-section.
Gasps and looks like about to faint or will hold chest.

Now that we have six, we are on the border of being a large family, no more extra seats on our mini van.
Muninay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #44
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hear you! We are expecting # 5 and the looks we get are hilarious!! People seem to lose their minds when it comes to pregnant people and fertility issues. We have a set of triplets that are 7 and we get asked questions about whether they were "natural" triplets. Sometimes I want to tell them that "No they are aliens". We also get the well I'm sure you're done now speech all the time or I get the "you do know how this happens don't you" speech (I'm an L/D nurse). People ask us all kinds of questions that are none of their business all the time. My DH is a SAH Dad and I work full time plus we homeschool, so we get a lot of people who just b/c they don't understand our family, but we love them all!!!

I totally agree with the thought that most people's priorities have changed from family to possessions and "keeping up with the Jones". My parents were obsessed with "giving us everything they never had" and were too busy to enjoy our childhood. So our goal is to soak up every moment with our kiddos while they are little.
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #45
babysniffles
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macyllehub View Post
In Idaho, we call then the MAV's... Mormon assault vehicles
HA! We live in Utah and are Mormon too, with 4 at this point, planning at least 5 or 6 total kids, maybe more. I keep saying to my husband that if someone was to put a van on the market that had 8+ seats, and 30+ mpg they would make a killing in Utah.
babysniffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 AM   #46
Ruthk33
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'm a new mom expecting her first in October and i think this thread is so encouraging. We desire to have a large family, whether that be through us having more biologically or adopting. I think children are such a blessing from the Lord and people have no room to tell you a thing about your family size. Who are they to say anything anyway. I think y'all are great moms and I was encouraged to read this.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #47
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthk33 View Post
I'm a new mom expecting her first in October and i think this thread is so encouraging. We desire to have a large family, whether that be through us having more biologically or adopting. I think children are such a blessing from the Lord and people have no room to tell you a thing about your family size. Who are they to say anything anyway. I think y'all are great moms and I was encouraged to read this.
and CONGRATS!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #48
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muninay View Post
We started hearing comments of being a large family when we had 4 kids and since we had 3 boys first, then a girl, everyone would comment that since we got our girl that would be it, as if that was our objective. When #5 came along, we got more comments. At first it annoyed me but learned to play along. So when I was pregnant with my sixth, the usual conversation goes...

Is that your first?
No. This is my sixth.
Gasps! sixth?!! My you have a large family!
Yup.
So, you had normal deliveries?
C-section.
Hmmm (eyes getting bigger).How many were c-section?
All c-section.
Gasps and looks like about to faint or will hold chest.

Now that we have six, we are on the border of being a large family, no more extra seats on our mini van.
Bahahaha...I am expecting #5 all c/s and get the same comments ...people arebso nosey...like a c/s is not a normal delivery...how else would u recommend they remove the baby from my uterus? .hahaha!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #49
beaniekins
Registered Users

I have one child and am expecting twins now, and everyone tells me that I will have a large family. It seems normal to me as I have 2 siblings. I would say more than 4 kids seems large to me.
beaniekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #50
DrusL8y
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another one here! We are having #4 in September and we get looked at crazy! People are selfish and I think that they don't see the kids, they only see us being more and more self-less and why in the world would anyone want to compromise their selfishness?! lol Sure we can't buy every new tennis shoe, ipad, or drive a 2 door and fit the kids in the back! But we no longer need sleepovers, copious amounts of entertainment, AND we ALWAYS get the nice big table at restaurants! Love it! We can't stand 4 tops!

I try not to let their prideful ignorance get to me! DH and I would love to have 7 or 8, but with my hyperemesis, recurrent miscarriages, and pelvic girdle pain, pregnancy and delivery is getting a bit much for us. We are military, we come from troubled families, and frankly, we just can't handle more than what we'll have in September. Sometimes we have to move with only a month's notice or he'll have deployments. We're extremely sad, but Momma is tired and my body feels broken. I wish positive energy and positive thoughts was gonna be enough, but it just isn't. I love the little ones I have and we plan on spoiling them rotten! To those who have the ability to keep going for more little blessings, I salute you and keep doing what you're doing! You ladies are inspirations and pseudo-moms to us all!
DrusL8y is offline   Reply With Quote