Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Re: Service people alone with you in the house?

Huh, I've never really thought about it before but every time something has been delivered since I've been a SAHM DH has been working from home.

I've had windows and doors installed and furniture delivered while I was alone and the kids where in school/daycare.

Advertisement

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't like it but I do it. I don't really have a choice.
I have only had one bad experience. I have the phone handy when service calls are happening. I think for the most part people are good and nothing will happen..if you are using a reputable place they mostly have a record of who is in your home and when. That said..a young doctor was killed in Philly on Martin Luther King day when she was alone with the exterminator. According to the exterminator she "belittled" him and he then in turn killed her and set her house on fire. Obviously you don't know if the person you are inviting in is going to have issues.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #13
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by evamyster88 View Post
I have never even thought about it. I am always alone with service people, but it does make sense to be on alert and have a cell handy.
Yeah, same. Maybe I should be more cautious, but it would be really hard to schedule around DH (who works normal office hours). I've had painters, carpet installers, AC repair guys, furnace repair guys, plumbers, handyman, floor refinisher, cable guys, delivery people, etc come around and it's not been a big deal. I don't even know if most of those people work on evenings/weekends - in most dual job families I know one of them has to stay home for several hours to get those kinds of things done.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

Having any stranger in my house makes me uncomfortable, with DH here or not, mostly because I worry that they'll be scoping out my home for later (yeah, I'm paranoid). I don't like being alone with them, either, but many times there's no other choice.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
amiecheatham
Registered Users
seller

It doesn't make me uncomfortable, but it's more like it's a PITA because I have the two kids to look after. We have had the same exterminator coming to our house for years, and I truly love him even if that is weird! He has watched our kids grow up and since he comes once a month we have really gotten to know him, he is such a sweet kid.
amiecheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM
Does it happen?

In the past three days I've been here alone with DS while 2 guys delivered a fridge, 3 guys delivered furniture, and now a man is here installing our internet.

Is it silly that it makes me super uncomfortable?

I'm a pretty tiny person, around 100lbs, and DS is 8mos old. I know being able to schedule this sort of stuff asap is one of the perks of me staying home but gosh, it gives me the heebie jeebies.
I SAH and I will not schedule for when DH isn't home. I have heard too many stories of home crimes happening by people dressed and acting as service people.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #17
august6
Registered Users

My Mood:

I take it to another level. I refuse to be alone with them, but rarely it happens. When it does, I keep a knife in the back of my pants just in case. I may put it back after I see they are legit, but for the most part, it stays till they leave. I also call my parents and let them know what they are driving and look like before they come into the house, they know how long its supposed to take and if I don't call, they call till I answer.

In my defense, I was assulted (not by a service man) so my "on guard" never goes off. Now that I'm a mom, it's like level orange 24/7.
august6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #18
elabela
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've had 3 this week and it makes me very uncomfortable. If they're coming from our building I will go out since they have keys, but with service people from outside companies I have to be home.

There was also a pretty heinous crime recently with a service man and while mot are honest and hardworking, it's a scary reminder.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #19
elabela
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dbl post
Old 02-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #20
mbleblanc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never thought about it, but then again I refuse to live in fear or be scared of someone until they give me a reason. I also live in a safe area with nosy neighbors and family around every corner lol

I've had the cable guy, my landlord, a guy to fix the furnace, etc. and because my SO used to work away it was always just me and DS here.