Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #21
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Service people alone with you in the house?

I've never thought about it. My mother did it with us growing up so it just seems normal. They always come because there is an appointment set up and initiated by us. They don't just drop in to "check abc" without me expecting them.

Once I got a guy who needed to test my tap water-something about a legal requirement for the water treatment people. He wouldn't even step on my porch. He seemed more uncomfortable with the situation than I did. He just handed me the empty specimen bottle and had me go fill it for him. I got a report a few weeks later just like he said.

Our (former) exterminator turned out to have sticky fingers. Still, I don't really worry about it as he never was interested in actually harming me. I feel betrayed that he would just help himself to our stuff, but not ever in danger.

That said, if I get a bad vibe from someone who comes to give me a quote about work, they don't get hired.

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #22
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
I havne't given it a lot of thought really. Due to DH's work schedule it is almost impossible for him to be home. It is always me. I have no issues with it at all. I am perfectly capable person and am able to take care of myself and my kids.
Pretty much me. What are you afraid of?
Old 02-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #23
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
Pretty much me. What are you afraid of?
Assault, kidnapping, and a distant third: thievery.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #24
november
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I do not ever let a stranger in my home when its just me and DD. My husband's new work schedule makes this a lot easier to navigate, thankfully.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

november is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #25
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
Assault, kidnapping, and a distant third: thievery.
I just can't live like that I guess. I also don't work with shady companies, so there's that...
Old 02-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #26
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

I've honestly never even thought about this as the only service people we have had in our home have been people we know from our community already...if it was a stranger I might feel uncomfortable, but then I have the dogs here with me and generally have my cell on me (we have no landline).
Old 02-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #27
blueswirl
Registered Users

What on earth do you think single women or women whose partners aren't home do? We freaking deal with it. I'm amazed this is even an issue for so many women. I'm not a child. I handle myself with confidence and not fear. It has never crossed my mind to be afraid of service people.
blueswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #28
winodini
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueswirl
What on earth do you think single women or women whose partners aren't home do? We freaking deal with it. I'm amazed this is even an issue for so many women. I'm not a child. I handle myself with confidence and not fear. It has never crossed my mind to be afraid of service people.
Yea that. I had an entire crew here replacing my windows last year. Never once occurred to me to be anything other than friendly. Different mind set I guess.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #29
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not afraid either. You are more likely to die or be hurt in a car accident than be assaulted or kidnapped in your house. Now the theft is a real fear, that could so happen and does very regularly. But the other two, yeah not so much.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #30
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwick
I've honestly never even thought about this as the only service people we have had in our home have been people we know from our community already...if it was a stranger I might feel uncomfortable, but then I have the dogs here with me and generally have my cell on me (we have no landline).
This is me. I have a huge dog and I lock him in the laundry room if someone comes. I think he could get over the half door if I was in trouble. But I always stay close just in case I needed to let him out. I really don't think too much about it. I'm just cautious and trust my instincts. i'm the type that doesn't wait for my husband to do anything. I'm pretty independent like that...maybe too much so sometimes!
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote