Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #71
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Service people alone with you in the house?

Generally speaking, I have no problem with service people in my home when I'm alone with my kids. I agree with the others who have written that the risk of an assault in that situation is very small. Most people don't avoid traveling in a car or feel uncomfortable while driving, even though the risk of a serious accident is much higher than the likelihood of being the victim of a random act of violence. It's not because I think it could *never* happen, but because I believe there is a cost in being overly cautious and I don't want to live that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kason's mommy View Post
I call someone to come over if my husband cant be there. Call me anxious, or fearful, nuts, or just plain freaking crazy if you will. I used to be in the whole that is bologna camp, and "It will never happen to me" until it did happen to me.
What happened to you, if you don't mind my asking?

Advertisement

BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #72
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Doesn't bother me. I just make sure and carry, which I don't normally do when I'm at home.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #73
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post
Generally speaking, I have no problem with service people in my home when I'm alone with my kids. I agree with the others who have written that the risk of an assault in that situation is very small. Most people don't avoid traveling in a car or feel uncomfortable while driving, even though the risk of a serious accident is much higher than the likelihood of being the victim of a random act of violence. It's not because I think it could *never* happen, but because I believe there is a cost in being overly cautious and I don't want to live that way.

What happened to you, if you don't mind my asking?
Our house was broken into by a "service man" while I was home alone with my babies. I am not going to go into great detail, but it can and does happen.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #74
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
It makes me nervous, but not because I think they'll hurt me. I personally really don't want to have to kill anybody if they try anything.

That said, I usually hop on the phone with someone if there is a service person here and FIL isn't home. That way if they try anything, the other person can call 911 while I'm kicking butt.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #75
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM

I suppose I just see my size as making me appear to be an easier target, kwim?
I am also a smaller person, and I feel the same way (am worried mostly about wackos and assault, not robbery). I do have service people in the house when I'm alone b/c I don't have a choice (too many repairs and DH can't take off for them; plus I am more mechanically inclined than he is). I do feel uncomfortable though.

We have a dog, and he barks like crazy, so that helps. I also keep my phone on me.

FTR - I lived alone from ages 22 - 28. I also moved across the country at 22 to a state/job where I knew no one. I work in a field where I was frequently in the woods alone with no weapon and no cell phone or cell reception (gasp!!). Yes, these things made me aware of my surroundings, but I am much more concerned about safety now that I have 2 kiddos (for my safety and their safety).

ETA - I have also taken a self-defense course. Still worried and on edge when there is a stranger in my house.

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012

Last edited by Alaga; 02-02-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #76
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I makes me a little nervous but honestly dh just can't take that much time off of work. He has to be off to take the kids and I to doctor's appts (I don't have a car) so I have to handle service visits when they happen. We make sure to use reputable companies and so far I have felt pretty safe with every person who has come out to work in our house. It does help that I have a 100lb American Bulldog here in the house with me and I know he scares most people who come through the door (rightfully so, he is perfectly harmless so long as you are friendly but he would do anything to protect his family). Typically the people in our house are just Verizon or larger AC/Heating company people and often they come in pairs. The last plumber I hired was my TKD master's FIL so I felt completely safe with him.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #77
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
Hah this is laughable. My H is well on his way to being a pro wrestler, in a knife or fist fight sure he'd win. But fact is, most assailants bear the kind of arms you don't get by working out. And there are plenty of stories of assault in public (bank robberies anyone?) as well as the extremely documented fact that when one yells rape, people close enough to help, do not help. If you feel so uncomfortable with company vetted strangers you need to keep a phone on you or stay near the door, a self defense class or two would really do you a favor. And teach you that size doesn't matter
Yes, you're right. I'm just silly. My deep seated fears that someone will assault me in my home are unfounded. I already stated I cannot keep a phone handy and how shall I quiver near the door with DS in tow when I'm showing men where the fridge goes or the cable hookup upstairs?

Size does matter. I could be the toughest kungfu master in the world, people will still look at me and think easy pickings.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #78
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
Yes, you're right. I'm just silly. My deep seated fears that someone will assault me in my home are unfounded. I already stated I cannot keep a phone handy and how shall I quiver near the door with DS in tow when I'm showing men where the fridge goes or the cable hookup upstairs?

Size does matter. I could be the toughest kungfu master in the world, people will still look at me and think easy pickings.
Actually if you were the toughest kungfu master in the world they could look at you and think whatever they wanted, it wouldn't matter. I can tell you that because dh has an easy 100lbs on our other instructor at TKD but J can take him down because J has a good 2 years in TKD and 8 years of Shotokhan Karate on Dh. Dh is good, he is a black belt and an instructor, he is also big and works out 20+ hours a week. J is just better (and only 115 tops).

However the point the pp was trying to make is that you are probably in as much if not more danger walking out on the street or going to the bank than having company vetted service people into your home. I think she suggested self defense classes to help you feel more confident though it will help you learn to protect yourself.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:24 AM   #79
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

most of ours we have had before and local... so no i'm ok. it would be the random person at the door doing sales for me....
Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #80
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post

Actually if you were the toughest kungfu master in the world they could look at you and think whatever they wanted, it wouldn't matter. I can tell you that because dh has an easy 100lbs on our other instructor at TKD but J can take him down because J has a good 2 years in TKD and 8 years of Shotokhan Karate on Dh. Dh is good, he is a black belt and an instructor, he is also big and works out 20+ hours a week. J is just better (and only 115 tops).

However the point the pp was trying to make is that you are probably in as much if not more danger walking out on the street or going to the bank than having company vetted service people into your home. I think she suggested self defense classes to help you feel more confident though it will help you learn to protect yourself.
My discomfort is the THOUGHT of being attacked, whether I just shot the dude dead or not doesn't matter, kwim? I'd kind of rather not have that experience at all.

Very true, home is safe. But there's the crux. My home is my safe place, naturally I don't want strangers in it.