Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #141
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfostermom
Quick update: so things are still going really well with our teeny newbie. She's healthy, growing (don't you wish they would stay tiny forever, too??), and fits in perfectly in my fam. From the way things are looking according to the SW, she is likely our last foster placement. They will be filing TPR for her in 90 days (abandonment, nobody has seen or heard from her bios), and for our 2 year old DFD in early summer (this one is going to be an ugly fight though). I hate to be prematurely excited, but the prospect of adopting these two sweet little girls and completing our family makes me so happy. Adoption around here still will take a long time, but once the TPR is done it will feel more real and settled.
Yay!

Advertisement

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #142
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: February/March Chat Thread

So, our new placement is 22 months. For some reason he refuses to hold his bottle up. always wants it, wont lift it. He is a HUGE kid, I only let him have it 3x day. Not only does the sound drive me up a wall, but he gets a ton of air and vomits. profusely.and, repeatedly. My house (and he) smells like putrid milk.

Has anyone else dealt with a kid who for some reason wont lift the darn bottle?

(edited to add - I take it away when he starts sucking air, but then he goes nuts. I show him how to hold it & he acts like I am crazy)

Last edited by ~*~Sunflower~*~; 03-06-2013 at 02:55 PM.
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #143
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

does he not take a sippy cup?
Old 03-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #144
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Sunflower~*~ View Post
So, our new placement is 22 months. For some reason he refuses to hold his bottle up. always wants it, wont lift it. He is a HUGE kid, I only let him have it 3x day. Not only does the sound drive me up a wall, but he gets a ton of air and vomits. profusely.and, repeatedly. My house (and he) smells like putrid milk.

Has anyone else dealt with a kid who for some reason wont lift the darn bottle?

(edited to add - I take it away when he starts sucking air, but then he goes nuts. I show him how to hold it & he acts like I am crazy)
I have never BTDT but I simply would not give it to him. Little-Man came to us with a bottle and I promply threw it in the trash when we walked in the door. He never cried for it at all since it was never in the house at all. My DS has used a regular cup since just after a year while sitting in his high chair. I would only give him milk in a regular cup or not at all. I know that is kind of harsh but I couldn't deal with the vomiting! Sorry it this makes me a mean mama but I know I just couldn't deal with the puke.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #145
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
does he not take a sippy cup?
He does(sort of), but for sleep he takes a bottle (and a sippy would probably make that same horrible sound LOL). I could wean him off of it, but for what looks like a temporary placement, I'd rather not take it upon myself.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #146
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbreb View Post
I have never BTDT but I simply would not give it to him. Little-Man came to us with a bottle and I promply threw it in the trash when we walked in the door. He never cried for it at all since it was never in the house at all. My DS has used a regular cup since just after a year while sitting in his high chair. I would only give him milk in a regular cup or not at all. I know that is kind of harsh but I couldn't deal with the vomiting! Sorry it this makes me a mean mama but I know I just couldn't deal with the puke.
I took the bottle away during nap time, but he just layed in bed for an hour rambling, complaining about a scrape on his leg (he never cared before!LOL) & yelling NO!!!! over & over & over. Finally I gave in & gave him the bottle again!
Old 03-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #147
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

oh, I forgot, we moved to just water in the bottle. Mom informed us yesterday that she puts water in it at bedtime, that the bottle is just for comfort (when we got him it had milk in it & his aunt had sent a container of milk).
Old 03-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #148
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

oh i totally get that! depending on how temporary it was i totally wouldn't want to either...is it just respite?
Old 03-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #149
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

also in my experience with J and the barfing, taking away the milk made things much better from a barfing/reflux perspective. he has only had 12-16oz of milk a day since he was 12 months and has been on solid food no purees since about 9 months.also no juice, citrus, tomato sauce, ketchup, etc anything acidic.

eta while this has helped tremendously in addition to the meds he is on, J still randomly vomits. and doesn't even stop what he's doing or notify me in any way. i found a pile of milk vomit in the corner of the bedroom yesterday.

Last edited by newmommy13; 03-06-2013 at 04:30 PM.
newmommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #150
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
oh i totally get that! depending on how temporary it was i totally wouldn't want to either...is it just respite?
No, not respite. But the aunt was already in the process of getting her foster license, so depending on how far she has gotten, she might get him in a couple of weeks , or they are entering a rehab facility in about a month that will allow him to go (and supposedly the judge gave his okay).