Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
SommerNyte
Registered Users

My Mood:
Cloth Diaper Sewing *Pics page 2*

I have made some CDs, but I never started until my 2nd and 3rd children (twins) were almost potty trained. I am getting ready to start a hand-made stash for our newest addition and have some questions...

(1) My local fabric choices are limited to Jo-Ann. Can I do well enough with flannels from there and then use covers? How many layers of such flannel would you recommend for a newborn fitted diaper?

(2) I am using the PooPockets fitted diaper pattern (I've made many gift diapers from it) and am tempted to try some with a PUL outer. How hard is it to work with PUL? Special tips? Tricks?

Other advice?

Advertisement

Last edited by SommerNyte; 07-29-2012 at 05:03 PM.
SommerNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cloth Diaper Sewing

you would want a minimum of 6 layers of flannel next to a newborn, and then as they grown you may still have to add a doubler....some people make flats out of flannel (to padfold in covers) If making a fitted I would do 3 layers for the body and 4-5 layers for the soaker, using more than that would make it take a long time to dry....also remember flannel doesn't stretch so your diapers won't fit as long if the outer is made out of them. Some mamas have also had good luck buying cotton knit at joanns or upccycling cotton tshirts from the thrift store. Joanns also sells diaper cloth (birdseye) but it's not cheaper than the flannel when it's on sale and it only comes in white.

PUL- can be slippery you need a walking foot to make it easier, and a ballpoint needle....I've never made the poo pocket pattern so I don't know what kind of diaper it is. I thought it was a contour fitted....but not sure

Check out the newborn diaper sew a long thread the first post has a bunch of good liniks in it....I think last time someone posted we were still using the May thread (the original poster was due in June so I'm guessing she's had her baby by now).

Last edited by MomdeIsla; 07-17-2012 at 07:40 AM.
MomdeIsla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you're going to sew with PUL it is not that hard. I actually find turning my tension up helps a little bit. I do not use a walking foot, but I do sew with my PUL on the feed dog side. My diapers turn out just fine. I use a lot of pins but i place them along the fabric within the seam allowance.

I think Joann stocks Pul now, not sure. Otherwise try online for fabrics.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Jo-Ann's has a new selection of print knits that are pretty cute if you wanted to try something other than flannel. Also they have non-pill fleece that you can make covers with as well. They have some super cute flannel prints right now!!

I've never had a problem sewing with PUL, unless the laminate was super slippery. In that case I made sure the laminate is on top and the other fabric is on bottom.You can also use tear away tissue under the PUL for stability.

Make sure to read the wash instructions on the fabric, otherwise if it delaminates Jo-Anne's won't refund. Some of JA's PUL says cold water wash, some says warm why? I accidentally got some that was cold water wash and washed on warm and it delaminated. Also on the combo PUL packs it says to iron first, but I never saw that on the large rolls.

Flannel doesn't like super hot water or hot dryers, it will pill up faster. If you wash on warm/hot and don't over dry, the softness will last a really long time. So definitely fewer layers, with a doubler that can double up, like 3 in the body, and a long 3 layer that folds in half for easier washing and drying. Oddly enough my family cloth never pilled that I made this last time, but the bathrobes for the boys did. It might be the type of flannel. The boys bathrobes were the licensed character stuff.
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
SommerNyte
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ok, so I went to the sewing store and got a walking foot, and then went to Jo-Ann's and got some PUL, some FOE, some adjust tape and a cloth diaper pattern book.

Turns out my DH prefers pocket diapers, so I guess I won't be doing the PooPockets after all.

So now I am looking to do pockets with a PUL outer and ??? inner. (Why is this all so overwhelming?!) I understand I can use suedecloth, minky (?), velour, microfiber or microchamois. So now my question is... which one??

I happen to have an Amazon.com gift card, so I was looking at fabric on there, but don't know what to order. I was looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

But then a commenter said it was too thick for a diaper?

I'm sorry to be so dense... I tend to really stress and want to know EXACTLY what I am doing before I start.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok to make the pockets you will need PUL PLUS an inner.... you can use suedecloth (I think in Joanns it's called "alova") minky, or fleece (the anti-pill fleece has a tighter weave and would actually work in place of PUL....the OTHER fleece would work as an inner...if your not sure hold it up to the light...if you can see lots of holes it's probably fine as a stay dry inner for a pocket)

The BV you posted would be ok for an inner if you don't want stay dry....but you may have trouble with wicking if you don't get your leg elastic to turn in.

If it was me making my first pocket I think I would do PUL, suedecloth, and by some polybraid elastic (1/4 for newborn, 3/8 for larger)...and then you need snaps or velcro for a closure. You could make inserts....or go the easy way like me and buy some flour sack towels to stuff the pockets with so u don't have to sew inserts. Suedecloth is the EASIEST to work with, the minky works....but it's slippery and stretchy.

You only need the FOE for covers.

The BV you posted would make a great fitted. It can be slippery to sew with...if you decide to make fitteds use your walking foot and pin, pin, pin!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this would be a good inner, and fairly easy to work with

microfleece
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
newdsmomma
Registered Users
seller

I too am new to this sewing cloth diaper stuff (although I never actually sewed a cloth diaper -- I've gone straight to sewing cloth trainers) and am still figuring it all out, so I don't have any sewing advice for you. I do, however, have some money saving advice for you.

Buying flannel, even on sale or with a 40% off coupon winds up being pretty expensive given how many layers you need, but you can buy a large flannel top sheet at a thrift store, give it one good bleaching just for peace of mind, and use that for all the layers of the diaper/trainer or soakers that don't show. Then just use one layer of cute stuff for the part that shows, so you don't have to buy as much.

I've also been upcycling a lot of damaged/stained/outgrown clothes. I've harvested some fleece from my daughter's pants and some cute knit prints from baby onesies. My son's 3-6 month Hungry Caterpillar onesie just became a super cute pair of training pants. Of course, there's crotch seam where I had to piece two smaller pieces together, but it's cute anyway!

Good luck. Now that I'm starting to sew with things I've never sewn with (PUL, elastic, FOE), I'm checking out these threads looking for tips, so I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.
newdsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
SommerNyte
Registered Users

My Mood:

THANK YOU, Michelle (especially for the link). I have made pockets before, when my almost 5 year olds were 2 or so, but I was just doing them to learn - they were flannel inside and fleece outside and worked fine for play, but they weren't my regular diapers (I used BG on my twins).

I have a KAM snap press, too... I think I will get the microfleece and get to it when it comes in!

I feel much less intimidated now - thank you.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
SommerNyte
Registered Users

My Mood:

And thank you, everyone, for the tips - I will be referring to this thread as I go!