Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
what is the best site for

searching my ancestry?

I know very little about it. I just know that there are others with our last name we are unrelated to and they are related to the others with a slightly different last name. I know that doesn't really make sense but Im trying not to give out my last name =) My Aunt had gotten a TON of information. I know we came over BEFORE the pilgrims and thats it.

My Mamaws family I know nothing about. My Papa didn't allow her to have too much contact with them (wanted her all to himself) he wasn't a bad guy just really protective. Her last name was Wright. But that's really it. i don't know her parents name or anything like that

I need to add before people tell me to ask my Aunt she has passed away a few years back. \We have no idea where she saved the information and it was never found.

Advertisement

Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING

Last edited by igotmywings; 02-02-2013 at 10:34 PM.
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: what is the best site for

I would ask your parents. It should have the correct DOB and birthplaces for their parents on their birth certificates. From there, you can check census records for free to get info on their parents. (Exact names etc) Wright is a very common last name so I would try to have as much info as you could.

(FYI:If you want to trace your ancestry, the best people to help are Latter Day Saints. If you have any LDS friends, they might be able to help.)

I would not go directly to a website and pay before you get all the info you can. Otherwise you might end up with lots of irrelevant info about people with similar names.
Lots of stuff can be looked at FREE online if you know the county they lived in. (Like property records)

After you gather all your info, search for a free trial at ancestry.com or something similar.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah the issue is my dad knows as much as I know about his family and my mom knows even less about hers. =) I know my grand parents names and have been able to track down their parents and everything im just having issues with my great grand parents kids. If they are put to rest in our family cemetery it makes it easy. However I can only find ONE of my Great Uncles and I can't find one of my grand Aunts ANYWHERE. she literally falls off the face of the earth after the 1920 census. im thinking she may have passed away. But then again her sister falls off after the 1930 census however, i found her headstone and she didn't pass till 1967 (but didnt marry either)
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #4
BoyCrazy
Registered Users
seller
seller

As the pp said, many LDS churches have family history centers and people who are very well trained and volunteer a lot of time helping people just like you. Go to familysearch.org, you can find a location closest to you and do research from home for free. Good luck!
BoyCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote