Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #21
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Why not make him chick fila and bring it along... Lol

Advertisement

thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #22
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattsMommy09
Starting Monday, ds will have hockey practice from 5-6... right in the middle of dinner time. To make matters WORSE, its about a 15-20 minute drive sans traffic, and since thats right about rush hour time here, we have to leave by 4:15 AT THE LATEST, which makes an early dinner out of the running. We will also likely hit traffic on the way home, I'm expecting, from end of practice to get home, 30-45 minutes, which is pretty much bedtime :/

How the heck do I feed the kids!? Last time we ended up grabbing Chik-fil-a because it was right there and easy. But spending $100 a month on eating out ONE night a week kinda blew my thrifty-ness. I thought about packing sandwiches, but really, after an hour of roller hockey, a 4 year old needs a little more than that.

So what the heck do i do? Just bite the bullet and let him eat chik-fil-a once a week and counteract the junk food with super healthy food all the rest of the time!? Push dinner way back those nights and hope it doesn't screw with their schedule? They're on a new schedule since last time he did hockey, bedtime has moved up 3 hours. And anytime they're up late, they're miserable and off their schedule for the next few days...

UGH. who knew an extracurricular activity could wreck so much havoc!?
I wouldn't do hockey
MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #23
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How the heck to eat!?

I didn't read the other replies but we pack snacks and have crockpot dinners waiting for us when we get home. I usually don't even get to go home first on practice nights so I will just meet Dh and kids and we will leave for practice from a small town in the middle of my work and our home. I really dislike it as well but where we live there are no other options for extracurriculars. I know it is very inconvenient but we have gotten used to just having a snack bag and the kids know we will eat a full dinner when we get home. They rarely even ask to eat out now.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #24
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How the heck to eat!?

We have several days a week that we are out after lunch until past dinnertime. I pack a thermos with hot stuff, or make a crockpot dinner for when we get home most of the time. One of the nights we do little ceasars pizza because it is next to the kids dance studio and cheap. One $5 pizza will feed the kids or if I want to eat pizza too AND have leftovers for the kids lunch the next day I only have to spend $10. With Chic Fil A as the fast food option I would just get it for the kids. That wouldn't cost much, and the adults can always eat at home later.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #25
ambivalent_amy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'd totally do Chik Fil A and consider that part of the cost of participating in hockey. My DS has skating lessons at 6pm and I thought that was bad...5 is worse.