Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
tuxgirl
Registered Users

Is this right?

Tried to wrap with my newbie (5 days), but I don't think I got it quite right. It was a front cross carry. I think the top was too loose, but when I tried to tighten, I couldn't see his face anymore, so I pulled it out a bit so I could see him. He also seemed to be too rolled up, but maybe that's normal for a newbie?

The other thing is that my back started being sore after just a few minutes, but I'm still recovering from a c/s, and I've had a painful back for a few days (oversupply issues as well), so that probably contributed, but still seems like it should've been at least somewhat supportive? Do I need to spread the back better or something?

Gah... I took pics and attached them, and the post failed. But it said the photos were uploaded. Is there any way to retrieve photos I uploaded previously using the ds forum app on an iPhone?

Advertisement

tuxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
nana2peach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this right?

I don't have any of the download answers because I'm new here, but with my oldest, I had the same issues. Once my milk let down (at approx 2-3 days post baby) I couldn't see my baby's face because it would be squished between my boobs. I didn't put him back in the carrier until he was a little older because I was scared I'd smother him... (I went from a B-cup to a DD-cup in less than a day) I was not used to big boobies & wasn't taking any chances with my baby.

Now, I have 3 kids, 18, 20, & 22... I am raising my 20 yr old's daughter... I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the moby wrap... She was so colicky and the moby just kept her in the right position & she cuddled into me as if we were one... I am as close to the grand princess as I was to my 3... We bonded so much while she was in the wrap.

Now, as for the back... I had 3 c-sections. My second seemed to come with a horrible back pain. I went to the dr & after a serious of questions, he told me not to be wearing a baby carrier until a couple of weeks after delivery. When grand princess was born, she was born via c-section & I was trying to get the baby's mom to bond with the princess & asked the dr if mom could use the moby wrap. He said the wrap was okay because it distributes the weight of the baby across the shoulders... most of the criss-cross carriers puts stress on the low back which was still healing from pregnacy & the back is connected to all the inside junk they took out while during the c-section...

I am, by far, not a dr/nurse/etc, I am only talking from experience from my children & then from the grand princess' mom...

I just thought I'd give my thoughts because no one else had responded... If none of this makes sense, sorry, princess is on my lap & trying to tell you her two cents.

Good luck.
nana2peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
nana2peach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You said... I couldn't see his face anymore, so I pulled it out a bit so I could see him. He also seemed to be too rolled up, but maybe that's normal for a newbie?...

I think the rule is to be able to see the baby's face at all times, not positive & don't let baby squish together too much as this could hinder baby's breathing. I will see if I can find the information I read on this subject.

I don't want to scare you away from front carrying your baby because it is such an awesome experience... I just want you to be aware of some of the things I have read or was told.
nana2peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

The baby needs to be "close enough to kiss" so maybe position him higher? You should be able to kiss the top of his head.

Sent from Future Dwight
Old 01-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is an excellent FWCC video tutorial with a newborn. If baby is down between your boobs, she's too low. Baby should be well supported, space between chin and chest to keep airway open, and close enough to kiss. Hope this helps!
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
tuxgirl
Registered Users

Okay, tried again, and this time, I stored pics to my camera before trying to stick them here, so maybe I can get them to send this time.

I had some of the same issues this time, but I'm pretty sure he was up far enough, since he was in kissing range. He still felt a bit more curled than he is when I hold him, though, and it just felt like when I tightened the top, the opening up at the top kept closing. My back felt a good bit better this time, but I ended up taking him out before her been in too long because I wasn't sure if be was in a good position. I do think it might've been a little looser than it should be, though.

This time, I was wrapping fcc around him instead of trying to do a poppable FCC.

So, now for trying to post some pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-178899943.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	132234

Name:	image-1017679012.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	132235

Name:	image-2444678428.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	132237
Old 01-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
ForevergreenOrganics
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
That looks right, over time you will learn where to pull on the rails of the wrap to make it most comfortable for you and baby. I would suggest just tightening the outer rails a little more, and pulling the knot a little more snug around the back
ForevergreenOrganics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
MamaRachel
Registered Users
Formerly: *lsilver*
seller

My Mood:

So you're trying to do a cradle FCC?
I would really recommend carrying him upright tummy-to-tummy. Cradle is really tricky to get right with a floppy newborn, and having it mispositioned can compromise his airway.

Like Jul said the rule of thumb is visible and kissable. And if you hug him to you his body shouldn't move, he should already be snug against you. Getting him nice and snug will help with back pain, as will spreading the passes a bit more.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
tuxgirl
Registered Users

Actually, the goal was a tummy to tummy FCC, but it ended up someplace between that and a cradle hold. Would FWCC be an easier place to start? I really don't quite know what I'm doing. I've read a lot, but my dd never let me wear her (she was almost 2 and very stubborn when I first got a wrap), so I have absolutely no experience. In the videos I watch, it all looks so easy, but the moment I try to copy, it is suddenly not quite so easy!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #10
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

Awwww....no experience with that sling, but that is precious. Wish I had a squishy to wear! Meanwhile I am waiting on my friend to return my sling so I can wear my dog or a baby chicken that needs cuddles, lol.