Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: 4yr old boy says he does not want to be a boy.

I also though I could be a boy as a child. I wore boys clothes, shoes, and would not wear dresses or pink/purple colors. It was a very hard time for my mom as she wanted a girly girl and got me. I finally came out of it at 12...LOL!

Advertisement

l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

My nephews love coming over to play with my daughters and guaranteed that the 3yr old will end up in a princess dress with a crown and necklace. Sparkly things are pretty. Lots of little boys like pink. In the summer I see a lot of them with pink crocs!

I wouldn't read anymore into it than he wants to do 'girl' things and thinks he needs to be a girl to do it. Just let him play whatever he wants to play and point out that boys can play those things too.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think your looking to much into it. He is four not forty. My four year old decided the other day that he wanted to be a tiger. He has been telling everyone that he is a tiger and playing as one. Does that mean he wants to be a tiger really , no he just thinks they are neat.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

FWIW, I wanted to be a boy growing up.

Being a girl sucks. You have to deal with well.... other girls. Catty, manipulative.. (not all, but man, adolescence sucks).

and you have to deal with boys who don't think you're good enough, bleed every month, feel small chested, give birth (which I now know is a wonderful thing, but it didn't sound so great when they first described it to us)...... we were Pentecostal and I had to wear dresses, but the boys got to wear pants and shorts and basically looked like everyone else and didn't get teased incessantly.

I still think it'd be a lot easier to be a man.

I wouldn't jump on the 'it means something' track. I mean, yeah... maybe he'll just be a ladies man anyways.. he already said he doesn't like boys, they're mean, etc.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #15
kelpie169
Registered Users
seller

When I was little I wanted to be a tree. Obviously I outgrew it. But honestly it sounds normal. My boys haven't said that (both are pretty nonverbal) but they do pretty "girly" stuff. Granted my husband is very involved and also doesn't care so it's not a huge deal to us...we let them pick out their clothes and pull ups and they've picked girl stuff abut half the time. They both love having their nails painted. Loves it when I play with their hair and do ponytails or pigtails...

A long as he's happy I wouldn't worry. But maybe sit down and talk to your husband about it, cause his attitude may be making it a bigger issue than it is. Sorry I'm not more helpful.

B the way: I asked my husband and he said "we'll if they don't like it that's their problem. Tell her good job and to keep doing what she's doing!" Then he pointed out that Ross on friends dressed like a girl. "I am bea. I drink tea. Wont you dance around with me?"
kelpie169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #16
trulyprecious
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all of the great advice and perspectives. DH's point of view had me thinking too much about it when I already felt deep down that it is no big deal.
trulyprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wouldn't worry about it. Most likely a phase, and if it's not, you can jump off that bridge when you get to it.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #18
ambieone
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelsmummy View Post
My nephews love coming over to play with my daughters and guaranteed that the 3yr old will end up in a princess dress with a crown and necklace. Sparkly things are pretty. Lots of little boys like pink. In the summer I see a lot of them with pink crocs!

I wouldn't read anymore into it than he wants to do 'girl' things and thinks he needs to be a girl to do it. Just let him play whatever he wants to play and point out that boys can play those things too.
I agree with this^^

My son loves to dress up in his sisters play clothes.

It took my DH and dad a little while to get used to it (he's the only son/grandson).

My male cousin used to let us dress him up, do his hair and put make up on him.....and this was when we was way older than 4!! There were 3 girls and then him. He grew up just fine, not lasting issues from wearing dresses
ambieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
mrsrozberry
Registered Users

My 3.5 year old ds loves some girly things too. Like hello kitty, wants me to paint his nails ( ill do his toes but not fingers since he sticks those in his mouth) tons of other things.

My dad and brothers had issues with a lot of things ds liked but over time they got over it or just don't say anything about it.

I'm going to use a few suggestions on this post though, thanks for posting.
mrsrozberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #20
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Yep, I typically think it can be fairly normal. My 3yo has been saying he is a girl because he thinks his sister is cool and his current favorite color is purple. I don't think it is a big deal at all.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote